mtbr member
    Apr 2004

anyone racing micheaux sunday?

hey,

just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the micheaux race sunday.

the website is rather sparse on details.
    http://racemichaux.com/

i was hoping if at least someone could tell me if these directions will get me to the start?
    http://www.gettysburgbmx.com./michau...ectmaximus.pdf

i am racing the 50 miler on my rigid singlespeed. leaving philly no later than 4AM to get out there.

the only reason i am going through such a hassle to make it out is because I KNOW those trails are awesome and i will get my moneys worth racing up there for sure

i hope to hit the whole series this summer but i'll know much better after sunday how big a reality that really is.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    hey,

i was hoping if at least someone could tell me if these directions will get me to the start?
    http://www.gettysburgbmx.com./michau...ectmaximus.pdf

i am racing the 50 miler on my rigid singlespeed. leaving philly no later than 4AM to get out there.

the only reason i am going through such a hassle to make it out is because I KNOW those trails are awesome and i will get my moneys worth racing up there for sure

i hope to hit the whole series this summer but i'll know much better after sunday how big a reality that really is.

Yes those directions will get you there. It should take you bout 2.5 to 3 hrs to get there, maybe less if you head up the turn pike at ed rendell speed.

I'm still undecided on whether or not to race. I've done this race a few times before, and it is some of the best riding in the east. technical! enduro!

Riding it singlespeed rigid, uhh, better you than me!
    the weather at least looks to be nice this year.

CC
    Oct 2004
    I'm doing the 50 miler. Should be a good time and its my first endurance type event. Pre-rode all the sections and 99% of them are in great shape. Looking foward to poking through it and still having some fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Yes those directions will get you there. It should take you bout 2.5 to 3 hrs to get there, maybe less if you head up the turn pike at ed rendell speed.
    thanks! my dread would be to drive 3+ hours only to get lost a few miles from the start...

you mean corzine speed? only if i am running REALLY late; and i'll definitely be wearing a seatbelt...

i'll be there with the trophy bikes crew... look for our saftey orange jerseys (i am the big guy on the red singlespeed).

good luck to everybody!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

exit sign

If you're going the 76 to 81 to 233 way (which I recommend - more Corzine speed highway) watch the exit off 81 to 233. The old directions had the old (wrong) exit number. I don't know if the exit # on these directions is right or wrong, but the road (Rt 233) is correct. Just pay attention and don't blindly follow the exit signs. Once you clear Carlisle, the Rt 233 exit is not that far.

Enjoy the race. If you haven't raced there before, expect unrelenting rocky conditions and a relatively slow average speed. It's significantly more technical then Wiss, the toughest part being the lack of any long stretches (like 20 feet) where there isn't some kind of rock. I had an epiphany out there 2 years ago the "sometimes the smoothest line is over the biggest rock". I've done the 35 mile version a couple of times and it takes me 3.5-4.5 hours. I DNF'ed it on my SS last year, mainly b/c of a mechanical from French Creek the day before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks brian,

i'll be sure to look out extra good for 233!

been riding hard all winter to get ready for this one; so dammit, i hope i am ready....

Now broadcasting from CO

Exit #...

The exit number for Rt. 233 off of I-81 is Exit 37... you can't miss it... there is a sign for Pine Groove Furnace State Park and King's Gap Environmental Education and Training Center before the exit. This should be a fun race. I'm doing the 10 miler (I have a final exam the next day and can't afford to give up a day of studying to race... otherwise I would go for 50...), and due to recent bike issues I'm also doing it on a rigid 26" SS... I'm looking forward to it...

EDIT: I'll be on a blue Bianchi SS...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    hey,

Man...that website is basically useless.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    Man...that website is basically useless.
    Everything you could possibly want to know about the race is on that website.

Look around on it.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

useful but...

It doesn't have much in the way of first hand accounts of the race or racing in the area which is what the original poster asked, along with confirmation that the directions were good.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    It doesn't have much in the way of first hand accounts of the race or racing in the area which is what the original poster asked, along with confirmation that the directions were good.
    It has Topo Maps, cost, registration times, feed points, directions (Pine Grove Furnace State Park) is on every state map anyway......

Not sure about the first hand accounts......it's a mountain bike race. They been putting it on for 16-19 years or something.....Its a classic.

I