mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Anyone familar with riding near where the PA-MD-DE borders meet?

I could be moving to where PA-MD-DE borders all merge, and was wondering how the biking was there. Anyone familar with the quality of riding in the area?

Also, if you have anything to add about the quality of life in that area, I would love to hear it.

THanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    excellent riding!

be sure to checkout brandywine park (DE) and the middlerun/whiteclay creek park(s) right on the de/md border.

but really all your gonna need is two words, FAIR HILL... the bestest pure fast crosscountry riding i have ever done. the place is my mecca. i would ride there almost exclusively if i lived closer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fantastic. A great place to ride. Fair Hill, Middle Run, Brandywine not to mention things 20-30 minutes south in Maryland.

Where exactly are you living? I grew less that a mile away from that point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks a bunch!

I wasn't aware of those places, so I need to look em up online.

Maybe we can ride together this fall.

Do either of you have any suggestions of where to live in that area...or not live?

THanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if it were me i'd probably lok somewhere near downtown newark. maybe not near college kids but closeenough to town so i could walk ion for a burger on the main strip.

then you'd also be real close to fairhill, middlerun and white clay.

but really i dunno how that area is to live in, the riding sure would be nice though!

i used to live up in west chester, pa that was also a good central location for lots of riding around that area...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodedRidgeRider
    I wasn't aware of those places, so I need to look em up online.

Maybe we can ride together this fall.

Do either of you have any suggestions of where to live in that area...or not live?

THanks!
    Yes, the Newark area is not that bad. It has Alabama like tendencies but it is not all bad. It all depends on what you are looking for. A house, a apartment, do you have kids, how old, etc. Heck, you can get a house across the street from Fair Hill for $350K.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Yes, the Newark area is not that bad. It has Alabama like tendencies but it is not all bad. It all depends on what you are looking for. A house, a apartment, do you have kids, how old, etc. Heck, you can get a house across the street from Fair Hill for $350K.

"Alabama" like tendencies? What does that mean? They are very hospitible? They are not?

I would be looking for an apartment/house to rent my first year there until I learn where I would like to live. I'm young 30's, single, no kids.

I really do NOT want to live near college kids or anyplace else that could result in thumping stereo speakers at night.

mtbr member
    It is a good area for mtn biking. You're not going to build up superman lungs on any of the little climbs in the area, but I'm sure you're aware this isn't Colorado. Lots of easily accessible trails, very easy to find riding partners, and some variation in terms of technical vs. fire roads. I really appreciate that the parking areas are safe, the trails are well maintained and well marked, and there are several different areas to choose from. No epics, but you can always take a road trip to high quality areas like Gambrill MD, Jim Thorpe or State College in a couple hours...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSEAL
    No epics...
    hmmm... i would say fairhill qualifies as an epic if you go ride the 50 mile loop that is easily possible if you link lots of stuff together.

it that still not epic enough try to link whiteclay/middlerun/fairhill altogether... that is more riding than i bet most people could do in a day.

i have never linked the two together but thats cause there is enough at fairhill to keep me busy ALL DAY so far. but the two parks aren't too far apart and could be easily linked together if your up for that much riding.

it would be sweet to have a ridiculous endurcance race that covers both!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    hmmm... i would say fairhill qualifies as an epic if you go ride the 50 mile loop that is easily possible if you link lots of stuff together.

it that still not epic enough try to link whiteclay/middlerun/fairhill altogether... that is more riding than i bet most people could do in a day.

i have never linked the two together but thats cause there is enough at fairhill to keep me busy ALL DAY so far. but the two parks aren't too far apart and could be easily linked together if your up for that much riding.

I have done several good 50+ rides in Fair Hill in my time but I would not call them epic. To me, epic rides are where you worry if you will make it back alive!

Fair Hill Epic

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill

I have been on a ride that linked Fair Hill and whiteclay/middlerun. We did 50 miles in 6 hours. Could easily have done more at whiteclay/middlerun, but we were toast.

Not hard to get from Fair Hill to whiteclay/middlerun. If you park at the Appleton Rd parking lot and do the loop on the east side of Appleton, you can get to Egypt road. From there take [SIZE=2]Little Egypt to 896 to Hopkins rd. At the bridge on Hopkins turn left into the park area. Go all the way to the road that runs parallel to Hopkins (can't remember it's name), then up that road to the trail head. It is only a couple of miles on the road.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Late reply on this one, but this post brought back some fond memories. Agree with everything said - I went to college there for four years. Riding those trails help me escape, um, the books..... Or was it the parties?? In all seriousness, you will love the trails. Iron Hill is another good one (near Fair Hill).