Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Anyone from around Philly, trails/jumps/dirt

any one do dirtjumping? This is in a woods in Springfield. PM me if you want directions.

Get jacked or get wacked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    wow, that looks pretty cool. are there enough trails to get some riding in around there, or just the jumps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    is that the place i got lost at pennypack and stumbled accross?

if not there are MORE dirtjumps somewhere in pennypack (behind a school somewhere?) sorry i am really not too familiar with the area.

i would love to see someone hit those up sometime! i can't even imagine launching off lips that steep

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    is that the place i got lost at pennypack and stumbled accross?

if not there are MORE dirtjumps somewhere in pennypack (behind a school somewhere?) sorry i am really not too familiar with the area.

i would love to see someone hit those up sometime! i can't even imagine launching off lips that steep
    Unless you got really lost, I doubt it. Isn't Pennypack park in the northeast section of Philadelphia? Springfield is out in the western suburbs in Delaware County. You'd probably notice it if you got lost and ended up mountain biking on the blue route.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by khill
    Unless you got really lost, I doubt it. Isn't Pennypack park in the northeast section of Philadelphia? Springfield is out in the western suburbs in Delaware County. You'd probably notice it if you got lost and ended up mountain biking on the blue route.

good point... i thought it might be one of them f-ed up neighborhood names that there are so many of in philly.

well, there are more dirtjumps at penny pack and i would still love to see how anyone goes anything but straight up with a lip this steep...

those jumps look INSANE... much like the ones i saw at pennypack

speaking of dirtjumps i alwys wondered why no one ever built any with all that dirt right next to the skate stuff at fdr...

mtbr member
    There are a few areas like this scattered around the western burbs. This one looks like the one right across from the mall, kind of behind Swarthmore College. There is also a nice area behind O'Hara HS, also some trail riding and potential for drops
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    200cx, thoses pics are from behind COHS.
    BShow, there's lots of trails, they're not groomed though. Kind of fun.

I have seen guys hit the smaller jumps, and rhythm sections but not the one that max-a mill replied to. There are tire marks on it though. hmmm...

This place is pretty cool, there's trails, jumps, rocks, roots, ruts, etc. The jumps are swept with a broom though.. :wtf: very well maintained, and the builders even built a drain system! that is commitment.
    Get jacked or get wacked!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    anyone from philly wanna pm me directions to the pennypack dj's?

mtbr member
    If the Pennypack jumps are behind a school they are probably right behind the school I did my student teaching at, only one that borders the park that I know of. It is Baldi MS on Veree road. But I have no idea of there are jumps behind there.

The Bowl at Wiss. looks great, btw. I finally made it up there a couple weeks ago. I hadn't been up there all summer.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

40 oz to freedom
    Damn those are some nice jumps. Would love to go there.

2000cx where exactly are the jumps and such behind o'hara?
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Did this guy get back to anyone yet about the location of these trails/jumps (in relation to the high school)?

I sent a PM and email but haven't heard back yet...i was thinking about checking this place out this weekend depending on the rain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    They are directly behind Cardinal O'Hara High School. I haven't been there in 3 yrs. but I use to park right in the school parking lot and ride next to the Football/ Soccer fields along the fence to the woods line. The trails right there. Probably a neighborhood entrance too that I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great, thanks! I'll check them out once it's a bit dryer.

40 oz to freedom
    Awesome, I gotta go there soon then.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The OP is correct - those trails are right behind Cardinal O'Hara HS and Don Guinella.

Theres a 3 mile loop behind the school. Those jumps were built by a bunch of BMX kids a few years back. There is a bowl as well that pre-dates the jumps in the pics.

I dont think you can jump anything back there on an MTB bike - the wheel base is too long.

That being said, the three mile of trails USED to be in pretty decent shape. There was a crew of four wheelers / dirt bikers that used to keep the trails pretty clean. I rode there once this past summer and the trails were totally overgrown with thorns. 5-6 years ago they were super clean. Now, the only section thats kept intact is that section jumps and the run-up to the jumps.

You can park in the O'Hara parking lot, ride across the soccor field, into that open section in the first pic, and then jump onto a trail. Or, you could park in the Home Depot lot, ride across Reed Road, into the woods.

Word of Caution: That whole area is used by ATV's, dirt bikes, hunters (bow and arrow), paintballers, BMX'ers, teenage drinking parties.... Be careful. Wear bright colors. I have been tagged with BB's there, paintballs, and nearly run off the trails by a Jeep.

40 oz to freedom
    Hmm sounds like they could use some rebuilding, any one up for a build day or two?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    Hmm sounds like they could use some rebuilding, any one up for a build day or two?
    Word on the street is that Biketopia, a shop in Havertown, is currrently or has been working on the trails there, off and on. Contact the shop and ask to speak to Frank (the owner).

From what I remember this past summer, the trails were in good shape, except for the excessive overgrowth. Nothing a couple of hours with a pair of clippers couldnt solve. The trails themselves are already "cut" so the hard part is over.

40 oz to freedom
    Just sent Frank an email about it, thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    id buy a 20" if i couldnt hit them with my switch. those djs are gnarsty!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Pennypack jumps

[QUOTE=dwnhlldav]If the Pennypack jumps are behind a school they are probably right behind the school I did my student teaching at, only one that borders the park that I know of. It is Baldi MS on Veree road. But I have no idea of there are jumps behind there. /QUOTE]

The pennypack jumps are right next to where the boulevard cuts over pennypack. They are on the WEST side of the boulevard and on the SOUTH side of the river. If you are under the boulevard (those huge arches that the path and the river go under) heading WEST, you will soon see a footbridge on your left (SOUTH). Cross over it. Take the trail off to the right. It will curve around to the left, following a branch of the river. After about 500 feet or so, you will see a trail heaing off to your left again. It is wide enough for a jeep to drive on and it's heading UP. Follow that up to where it levels off. If you continue on that trail, it runs you into the Boulevard. You can even hear cars driving by if you stop and listen. The DJs are off on your right, back through the woods. I never find the path, so I just kind make my own path. That area is a little corner of the park and you can't get lost. Its bordered by the boulevard on the East side, the trail on the North side and a fence on the South side. I was there last week and they all need some work. In the summer they are incredible, but you will need a shovel to get them into jumping condition right now. It's BEST to have a hardail for those jumps, especially in the condition they are in now. I had my SX Trail and cased a double because I couldn't get up enough speed and the lip was old.
    Here is a link to me jumping them in the summer. Pinkbike re-did all their photos a while ago and mislabeled it, but that IS Pennypack.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/86613/

Have fun.

40 oz to freedom
    Thanks for the Pennypack info. I need to get my dirt jumper built up and get out riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    Thanks for the Pennypack info. I need to get my dirt jumper built up and get out riding.
    yo vinny A,
    im looking for places to build and ride i have one spot ill shoot you a PM.

40 oz to freedom
    Got your PM, let me know come spring time. I can hook ya up with some local places, if you do the same.

Oh always willing to dig!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

dongy

This area is very well known to anyone who grew up mxing bmx-ing or mtbing in the western suburbs. It is owned by the archdiocese, does not abut any residential areas, and has been a general free for all area since at least the early 80's. While, from a legal standpoint, this area should not be ridden, I think it may be a good area for the interest of dj-ers and fr-ers. While I've seen alot of things in Dongy, one thing I haven't seen is a nature hiker. In other words, to concentrate this type of development here rather than other access sensitive areas in the region may not be the worst idea. I don't know though, I guess checking with local shops is the thing to do. I haven't been a local here for some time and wouldn't want to speak for someone else's trails. Also, this area is listed in the trails database.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mcurtius, where is this "dongy" place you are talking about in the previous post? ^^^^^^^
    I looked in the trails database and didn't see any "dongy" listed as name of trial or name of nearby city. Maybe I'm just blind...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast