Wizard of the Trail

Anybody on this site ride NEPA

I am looking for some new places to ride in NEPA(scranton area). Anybody got any good spots with NO QUADS? I almost got nailed by one two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm sure you have ridden merli-sarnoski, but have you tried Prompton Dam? It's not as good as merli, but when it's dry, it's a great trail.

Also, Glen Park in stroudsburg is pretty good (although a far drive down Rt. 380). There are some pretty wild stunts hidden through out the woods, including a gap jump over a dirt road. It took some time to find our way around, even with a topo map. The LBS is very friendly and even invited us to park in their lot. (check the trail reviews for directions)

Seven-tubs in W-B is so-so, but there are very few spots where quads can't get to.

You will have a heluva time trying to find a trail in NEPA that does not have quad traffic. Although you are much less likely to run into one when a NASCAR race is on!!! (no offense to NASCAR fans, ). Thankfully, they make enough noise to warn you ahead of time.

I'm in Kingston, but other than Merli & prompton I haven't ridden too much north of here. Where do you ride in Lackawanna county?

mtbr member
    Yeah seriously! That is one reason why my parents don't want me in the local forests! They go about 50 mph the whole time. Even higher when they are on the straights. I think being hit by one would be quite painful. BTW I have been there but not with my bike unfortunately. I am located in SEPA.

Wizard of the Trail
    I love riding merli sarnoski park. I ride aylesworth dam in jermyn alot, but its infested with quads, especially on the weekednds. Last year I almost bought it when one came around the turn going about 60mph. Its amazing that I never see anyone in the bushes dead from those things. Anyway, we wanted to ride prompton last year, We rode it about 5 minutes untill the mosquitos bit the hell outta us. I had 5 on my leg in minutes, they look like a squadron in formation. Last year plain sucked with rain, insects and humidity. We are supposed to try a new one called wildcat trails or something like that. Its in the trail review section. I am also trying to get used to clipless pedals which feels pretty scary sometimes. I guess I will get used to it. Friar, I am from Jessup, its near scranton, if you ever want to hook up for some riding, let me know. I have to ride with somebody that likes prompton, my friends didn't like what they saw. They are chickens!! LOL
    Randy

m2k
    mtbr member
    Wilkes-Barre (Mountain Top) there's a great trail - the one with Black Forest / Dead Deer Extreme. This is the course where, to get to it, you take 309 S through WB Twp, pass the Brass Rail (where you'd park if you have two cars going) and take the first right after you get to the top of the mountain (park there). Not sure the name of it - I just call it Mountain Top.

One of the sickest uphills I've ever seen (still haven't tackled it yet) and some fast / technical downhills. A good 2-3 hr ride if you do the whole thing. I've never seen or heard a quad around there either. Check it out.

mtbr member

Macunaqca(sp) Is decent.

Macunaqca(not sure of spelling) is a decent spot. Have not run into quads there but have heard them next door at the stripper pits. This is a new state recreation area. It is located right along the mighty Susk....

eci
    i used to live in scranton and i rode, prompton, merli, lackawanna state park. cedar bike does some rides id hook up with them for a ride or 2.

if you dont mind traveling hit up glen park, camelback and jim thorpe.
    camelback has a 16mile loop that will kill the best xc rider around and only has 4 miles of dual track. if you want pm me and i will give you the details (if i posted it here my friends would break my legs)

a nice 3 hr drive takes you to state college to a very fun area also, scotia and rothrock state park. buy a map from the bike shop on college ave so you dont get too lost

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rides around Scranton

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    I am looking for some new places to ride in NEPA(scranton area). Anybody got any good spots with NO QUADS? I almost got nailed by one two weeks ago.
    We have a group of about 30 riders that ride several times each week year round. Thursday night and Sunday afternoons are a def.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    We have a group of about 30 riders that ride several times each week year round. Thursday night and Sunday afternoons are a def.
    Do yo guys ride with the guys from cedar bike? I know they ride on thursday nights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Do yo guys ride with the guys from cedar bike? I know they ride on thursday nights.
    Yes, contact John at Mtnbiker18447@AOL.com and ask to be added to the e mail list. He will keep you informed on the rides.