mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Anybody in the Philly area interested in bikepacking?

I just wanted to put this out there to see if there are folks in Philly or the surrounding areas who are into bikepacking. I don't know anybody personally who is, but I'd like to find people or groups to do overnighters with. I live in the city and don't have a car, so the number of places I can go are somewhat limited, though the commuter trains can get me within reasonable distance of some state parks and forests.

This weekend I'm doing an overnighter to French Creek State Park, if anyone's interested, but I'd also be interested in getting in touch with people to organize future trips or group outings or anything of the sort.

Hope to hear from you...
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'd be interested, not this weekend, but at some point in the season. Post up the next time you're heading out.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ditto. I haven't done any yet, so just need to get my gear sorted out and do a ride or two with it to see how the load carries, but definitely down for this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    trying to figure out logistics to make this happen next year late april early may.

bikepacking.net > Routes > USA-PA-North/South Route

wish i had more time between now and then to go look at sections but it looks like maybe giving the whole thing a run in 3 days next year as that is all i have time for...

if you have some time however, and want to really get out there i'd recommend looking to get out to some big forests like michaux and rothrock. maybe even the pine barrons if you want to there travel by bike??

not too much out here in southeastern PA that would require any real bikepacking. plenty of nice camping trips available from philly by bike though; like green lane and french creek. if it were me though i'd ride road or cross bike out.

anyhow, i'd love to be in but i have kids so i can't. i do certainly share your enthusiasm for this sort of thing though and i'd love to hear any good adventures you come up with close to philly (or anywhere really).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was just checking out your blog site in your sig and I am looking around at the same bikes you were (Troll, Ogre, Fargo, Vaya, and a new option, Kona Rove). I think the bike would serve more often for riding from my house in Roxborough out to my job in North Wales, so the Vaya or Rove seem to be the best options there for 15+ miles back and forth on gravel, pavement, smooth dirt.

The Troll is a really neat bike though and much more able on rougher terrain.