SpeedoSkid

Any Washington Cnty rides?

Trying to find someplace closer to me to ride/maintain etc. Currently I live near Meadowlands, PA.

Closest places to me now are Hillman at 45 minutes, South Park at 40 min, and the Laurel Highlands at a bit over an hour.

Mingo park is only about 20 minutes from me, but I understand the riding there is less than favorable. Has there ever been an attempt at developing new trails there?

Greene county could be possible also, I am about 25 min from Waynesburg.

I understand I could have it worse, but I was hoping to find a place that would allow weeknight rides that would take less of a toll on my schedule.

Thanks for any help.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Mingo less than favorable? I disagree. There's about a 13 mile loop with spokes shooting down into the park all over the place. Not very technical, but fun, rolling roller-coaster type riding. The trails were built and mostly maintained by equestrians, but someone forgot to send them the memo that mountain bikers are a bunch of horse-hating dirtbags. We were always very respectful of the occaisional equestrian that we would encounter and never had anything but positive communications with any of them. Check it out, but remember that bikes are really just guests there, be nice to equestrians and hikers (ie get off the trail, stop, say "hi", and ask if its OK to go by). Horses react better if you remove the helmet and glasses as well. Definitely worth the 20 minute drive.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Last I checked with the Mingo park rangers, trail maintenance was officially forbidden. The trails were built by the eq set. But I rode there for years without incident (country folk seem to understand the concept of "sharing"). Say "Hi" to everybody. It doesn't hurt. Yield to horses and hikers. That said, the trails are usually WRECKED by horse traffic and generally unstable soils. I stopped riding there 3 years ago. If you want to try them some day, let me know. I'd be up to try it again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Brother

I grew up in Washington and there used to be several places to ride. The closest place would be behind Chartiers Houston High School. There was about 10 miles of motorcycle trails back in there. We would park in the school parking lot just below the football field. and head up the valley on the right side of the field. I think there is a metal gate there now, but I don't know if it is off limits. Another way in might be off of the road that leads back up the valley from the Meadow inn. I think gunslingers tatoo shop was back there. We would also cross under I79 near the Coke dist. plant. There was another 10 to 15 miles between routes 79 and 19 but I think the development in that area has probably destroyed that.

The other place that comes to mind was Avella. Take route 50 to avella and head towards Meadowcroft village. Less than a mile out of town was a big parking area on the right next to the railroad tracks. You would probably need a tour guide for this place since there is about a million square miles of old strip mines out there. I remember several times wondering if I was going to get out alive.

I havent ridden at either of these places in 10 years so I don't know what if any of it is left.

Hope I helped

Mike