mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Any trails near Jenkintown/Willow Grove

I am completely new to mountain biking and eager to get in some trails. I live in Jenkintown and work in Willow Grove so I wanted to see if there were any places around there that I could hit up. I'd prefer something not really technical since I am new like I said, but I'd be willing to try anywhere just to get out there and get biking. Anyone have any good places? Thanks in advance, this board rocks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    pennypack park/ wissahickon park. both great, the latter of the two being more technical and hilly. thier both part of the philadelphia fairmount park trail system. you can find more info on the web.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also work in Willow Grove (Abington School District). The Wissahickon (Forbidden Drive) is about 15 minutes from there. When I first started working up there it was hard to find directions (driving) to the trails. I have to admit that I can be directionally challenged. I just got back into mountain biking last year after about 8 years away from bikes. If you need detailed directions for getting to the Wissihicken just PM me and I'll get them to you. I haven't riden pennypack or belmont but I plan to this summer.

Congratulations on the bike purchase!
    John
    A poor man can only afford the best.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy0421
    I also work in Willow Grove (Abington School District). The Wissahickon (Forbidden Drive) is about 15 minutes from there.
    ...agreed, back in the day I used to live in Wyncote and would ride my bike to the Wissahickon, then hit the trails, and then pedal home. The street riding was a good warm-up if it's not too much riding for you. The other recommendation of Pennypack is good for you too and might be closer. The bestr thing for you to do would probably be to drive your car (or ride your bike if you're up to it) to Lorimer Park (Meetinghouse Road to Huntington Pike, map it), then ride that trail system into Pennypack. I used to do that too...

-p

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I live in Jenkintown and Pennypack (Pine Rd. entrance) is about a 5 minute drive. I ride there weekly. There are a great variety of trails once you know your way around. Wissahickon is another option, about 15 minutes away, but the riding there is generally more challenging. If you are a "beginner", Pennypack would be a great place for you to ride. PM me and I'd be happy to give you more info.