mtbr member
    Apr 2004

any trails around pittsburgh NOT muddy?

looking for non-muddy place to ride this weekend. somewhere OUTSIDE pittsburgh, but not too far away. i'll be hanging out at his place in Indiana, PA, so somewhere close to there would be good. is seven springs open for riding yet? if not, where can i ride? some people on here have suggested Linn Run, but what kind of riding can i expect there, and where can i find maps? any other suggestions? don't want anything too super technical (i've heard laurel mountain state park is full of rock gardens etc)... just looking for a mildly technical, and flowing trail..

Life is Good
    Seven Springs is technically still in snow season, so they won't be open for riding. Even if they were, it'd be muddy since the snow is melting up there.

Linn Run is just down the road from me and it has some great riding. Basically what you have there is a cold mountain stream (Linn Run) running down through a deep valley with many hills on each side. A road follows the stream up through the valley to the top of Laurel Mountain (Forbes State Forest). There are a variety of trails throughout Linn Run and then up in Forbes. The ones on top of the mountain in Forbes should be a little more dry by now since they are so high, but we have been getting a ton of rain so they could also be muddy.

My suggestions? Grove Run Trail in Linn Run State Park (when heading up the mountain it is a small trail heading up the right side of the valley... it's right across the street from the Park Office and there is a sign that says "Expert Mountain Bike Trail). That trail is by no means expert as its not technical at all, it's just a ton of climbing. That trail will take you up the mountain and into Forbes State Forest where it will link up with a TON of trails that snake all over the top of the mountains up there.

If you follow the road all the way up to Forbes you will come to an intersection. If you stay left and go across the mountain, there will be a few pull offs for Wolf Rocks Trail and Beam Rocks trail. Both of these are somewhat unmarked, so you might have to stop in the Park Office in Linn Run to find the parking spots. These are both short and fun trails, though they can be a little technical with large rocks. They are flat though, so it's more fun than anything.

Good luck finding stuff. I'm out at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe if you are ever in the area and want a riding buddy.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Nice no rass
    We rode Laurel Sunday. It is swamped. Summit Trail was dry and rideable, everything else basically still had running water on it. We were forced to ride Locust Camp Rd, Rector Edie and Summit Rd to avoid the mud/water.

We ran into the Speedgoat crew up there. They attempted the Silvermine, black bear area and were forced back out to the roads. Too muddy.

We're going to try it again this weekend in hopes it's ready to ride. If the rains hold off, it should be.

Seven Springs received monsoon rains yesterday to the tune of about 1.5" in 45 minutes. The entire place was flooded. If it doesn't rain anymore, it will be rideable in some places by the weekend. The backside race loop will still cross snow and be very muddy. Stick to the Lake Max area for rideable terrain if it doesn't rain anymore between now and the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks for the replies. i think i will stop by the speedgoat store before we head out onto the trails, so we can get a sense of where to go etc. i'm sure they'll have a better sense of what's rideable and not.

Nice no rass
    Synk,

Here's the map for Linn Run/Laurel mtn trails http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...nnrun_mini.pdf

If it stops raining much of Laurel will be rideable. Even if it stops raining, avoid the following trails which will be extremely soft and muddy: Lippos Loop area, Towhee, Bill Alberts Spruce Flats and Spruce Run.

The following areas are mostly rock and drain very quickly: Silvermine, Rocky Gap, Outcrop, Blackbear, Summit Trail and Beam Rocks Trail. The Picnic Trail is mostly armored with shale so it should be fine. Wolf Rocks will have a few low lying areas to walk around but should be mostly rideable.

Rocky Gap and Outcrop are not on the map (just got named last Fall), but are well marked and run between Silvermine and Black Bear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    too rass goat, you're the man. thanks.

question, what kind of riding can i expect here? i don't want too technical stuff (extreme rock gardens), or extreme climbing/downhill... looking for more fast flowing trails, which area smooth for the most part, that will be a casual ride rather than a jarring one. i won't be riding a 6" travel all-mountain rig, so i'd rather not get thrown all over the place. haha.

so can you recommend which of these trails would be the kind i've described?

Nice no rass
    Laurel has a few smooth, flowing trails, unfortunately, they are all the ones I said to avoid due to be swamped.

The smoothest route I can think of would be park at the top near the entrance to the Ski Resort. Follow the trail out of the parking area (Mainline I think) to the Ski Patrol Hut. Behind that hut get on Summit Trail all the way back out to Summit Rd. Cross the Road and take the gas line access to Silvermine. Follow Silvermine to Rector Edie Rd, turn right onto the Picnic Trail. Ride Summit Rd back up to Summit Trail and take that back to your car...approximately 10 miles total. That would be the most casual, dryest loop available right now. Only a small rock garden on Summit and Silvermine.
    Last edited by Too Rass Goat; 03-28-2007 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks. that helps. one more question, how's riding up blackbear from edie road connecting to summit road? rocky? steep uphills?

Nice no rass
    It's flat (most of Laurel is flat by PA standards) and not rocky at all, if it's dry enough, incorporate it in your ride. It's very mild through that section, much better ride than running all the way up Summit Rd. I didn't put it in my suggestion because as of last Sunday, it was a 4' wide, 6" deep white water creek, but it might be dried up by this weekend. We'll be there Sunday to find out first hand

I can't wait to ride Outcrop, Wolf Rocks and Rocky Gap....mmmmm...ROCKS.

the unvarnished nonsense
    I miss the riding at Laurel. Think this is on Silvermine. Probably about 7 or 8 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so i rode linn run today. the trails were great. dried up for the most part. black bear was dried up too. so anyone thinking about riding it, i highly recommend it. actually, it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, but by next weekend, it should be dry again.

also, the speedgoat guys are great. they lent me a helmet because i forgot mine. two thumbs up!

mtbr member
    hey, try Roaring Run in Apollo. i rode there for the first time last weekend, they got some awesome trails there. the terrain there is kinda rocky like laurel so mud shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Roaring Run in Apollo is the best place to go when it's wet everywhere else. It's also very close to Indiana, PA. It's very technical though ( you mentioned you wanted smooth and flowy ).
    Visit www.porcmtbclub.org and check out the trails section for links to topo maps and a map to the parking area.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    roaring run isnt that technical, its not nearly as technical as say Laurel Mtn. i rode roaring run on a xc hardtail with no problems and im not even a good rider. i thought the roaring run trails had good flow to them and the trails were very clearly marked.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    You could ride them on a unicycle, but they'd still be technical. I didn't say Apollo was more technical than Laurel Mtn, just that it wasn't smooth and flowy!

SpeedoSkid
    How technical is Rocky Gap, compared to Wolf Rocks and Outcrop? Wolf Rocks was a lot of fun, but Outcrop was a bit too much for me.

Nice no rass
    Rocky gap is much like Outcrop...with a 20' tall, 3' wide, 100' long downhill crevasse (sp?) to ride through...with roots, more rocks and drops inside of it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok, according to the DCNR map is this topic, Grove Run Trail is off limits to bikes, at least thats how I am reading the crossed-out-bike-symbol.

Has this changed and the map is out of date? I have hiked that trail before and always thought it would be an amazing ride, so I hope that is the case.

Nice no rass
    AFAIK, all the hiking trails on that side of Linn Run Rd. are off limits to mtb's. You can ride the snowmobile trails, but they are all double track and not real interesting unless putting together a long ride from Laurel Mtn. to Hidden Valley and Seven Springs or vise versa.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thats what I thought. I've ridden up Quarry Trail and it is a long and boring journey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How about Roaring run is closed.That blows cabbage heads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whattree?
    How about Roaring run is closed.That blows cabbage heads.
    Not the one in apollo, but it still really blows. I ride Roaring Run a fair bit and overall I don't find it incredibly challenging (some of the rock stunt type things they've made challenge me and there are a few climbs that I barely clean) but it keeps me on my gaurd most of the time. How does Roaring Run compare to other trails around the Pittsburgh area in terms of difficulty?

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Apollo is more technical than most other trails in the Pittsburgh area with the exception of Moraine which is north of Pittsburgh. I wouldn't rate Apollo as super technical but it is more so than most other places around.