likes bicycles

Any technical riding in PGH?

I started riding a lot in South Park last summer. I took the bike up to school with me in Albany, NY and fell in love with the technical singletrack up here.

I'm about to head home for the summer, and I'm wondering where I can find some techy riding without driving to Laurel Mountain/Seven Springs. Is there a technical utopia closer to home?

Thanks in advance!

my fun has a hurting
    frick park has a few fairly tech sections, lots of roots. hartwood acres is good as well. a bit further out roaring run in apollo is full of technical goodness of rocks and roots. and to the north is moraine state park.

we ride 3-4 times a week out of the southside. if you would like to join us check out http://dorc-pgh.com

mtbr member
    boyce park is fun, most of the trails are kinda easy but there are a good number of logs/log piles, and some steep short downhills. apollo is real good, duff park in murrysville is also good.

mtbr member
    Whats a duff park?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    Whats a duff park?
    no its not the same duff park as in the Simpsons cartoon.

Duff Park is located just off Rt 22 in Murrysville. I believe you turn onto School Road, there is a parking lot just ahead. Its a small park but fun if your in the area. Some nice steep climbs, lots or roots, off camber stuff, mostly singletrack.

likes bicycles
    Sweet. Thanks for the replies. I guess I just need to stop being lazy and drive out to some places other than SP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    Sweet. Thanks for the replies. I guess I just need to stop being lazy and drive out to some places other than SP.
    I know how you feel; I get spoiled having Frick Park in our back yard. That section of the city is the best for a great urban/off road ride combo.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    lately i've been going through some short downhill sections (arlington to southside) on my way to work and rides out to frick park. not -too- technical, but it is worth it, good way to start a ride to frick especially. i have some pictures here
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

my fun has a hurting
    those are the incline trails. just be kind to the dirt jumps. there has been a lot of work put into them over the past decade. i think we are going to be digging up there again soon (once the weather gets a bit less wet) if you are living up in arlington or mt oliver you really ought to join us on some of our rides since we leave from the southside and transportation is not an issue (we have an 80s suburban and a cargo van)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    those are the incline trails. just be kind to the dirt jumps. there has been a lot of work put into them over the past decade. i think we are going to be digging up there again soon (once the weather gets a bit less wet) if you are living up in arlington or mt oliver you really ought to join us on some of our rides since we leave from the southside and transportation is not an issue (we have an 80s suburban and a cargo van)
    sweet - yea, i haven't ridden them at all - frankl, i'd probably beef it, so i'm just content riding the trails til i get the confidence up to do stupid **** on the jumps

but definitely willing to sling some dirt around.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.