banned

Any rides in the Williamsport area?

My wife is from Williamsport, so I spend a fair amount of time up there. At least one weekend a month, sometimes more.

Anybody ride in the Williamsport area? Want to show me some trails sometime?

Thanks!
    -Matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hey, thats my hometown...

though I only get back there once every few years anymore. One time I did some riding in the Black Forest, up above Pine Creek. Nice trails and a nice restaurant too. Be careful during hunting season.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    though I only get back there once every few years anymore. One time I did some riding in the Black Forest, up above Pine Creek. Nice trails and a nice restaurant too. Be careful during hunting season.

Thanks. Actually, my post was intended to say "any riders in the Williamsport area."

And, I am familiar with the Black Forest area farther north (Potter Co. specifically), my family has a cabin near Gaelton. Excellent, underrated and hardly used trails up there. But I'm looking for something closer to Williamsport.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

A few that I know of

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    My wife is from Williamsport, so I spend a fair amount of time up there. At least one weekend a month, sometimes more.

Anybody ride in the Williamsport area? Want to show me some trails sometime?

Thanks!
    -Matt
    There is riding over at South Williamsport, see trail reviews on this site. I never rode them.

Then there is a place I found this summer called Ryder Park. Its a land trust that is preserved for the public for hiking,biking and nature in general. The first time I rode it with my brother in law (new to mtb)I didn't like it. (not enough miles, only 10). The second time
    I went by myself and loved it. I rode between 10-14 miles and was out for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
    I did some exploring on new trails, got lost down a rockey valley.

Anyway to get there you go up Warrensville road maybe 10 miles(not exactly sure on miles). After your on the road for 10- 15 min. there is a road on the right called Calebs Run there is also a small green sign that says Ryder Park, take that road to the parking lot.

Grab a map (if there is any, I just made a bunch copies) in the ammo box.

You can climb to a vista on the right (right side as you would be driving to the parking lot)
    or the left side up the gravel road which turns into a grassy double track trail and from there you can take some single track.

Overall it is a good time, it may take a few times like it did me to enjoy it. Alot of the trails are interconnected, some are not.

Last time I was there I ran over a rattle snake and my brother in law stoped and caught it.

Have fun.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

Keep on Rockin...

Good job! Prine's great....

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    Thanks. Actually, my post was intended to say "any riders in the Williamsport area."

And, I am familiar with the Black Forest area farther north (Potter Co. specifically), my family has a cabin near Gaelton. Excellent, underrated and hardly used trails up there. But I'm looking for something closer to Williamsport.

I pretty much learned guitar listening to him.

Just a bit off topic but I live right between Galeton and Coudersport. There's a long day's worth of super riding here if you are ever up this way.

Mike

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home, but it's only the thristy that hunger to roam.

-Prine

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    There is riding over at South Williamsport, see trail reviews on this site. I never rode them.

Then there is a place I found this summer called Ryder Park. Its a land trust that is preserved for the public for hiking,biking and nature in general. The first time I rode it with my brother in law (new to mtb)I didn't like it. (not enough miles, only 10). The second time
    I went by myself and loved it. I rode between 10-14 miles and was out for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
    I did some exploring on new trails, got lost down a rockey valley.

Anyway to get there you go up Warrensville road maybe 10 miles(not exactly sure on miles). After your on the road for 10- 15 min. there is a road on the right called Calebs Run there is also a small green sign that says Ryder Park, take that road to the parking lot.

Grab a map (if there is any, I just made a bunch copies) in the ammo box.

You can climb to a vista on the right (right side as you would be driving to the parking lot)
    or the left side up the gravel road which turns into a grassy double track trail and from there you can take some single track.

Overall it is a good time, it may take a few times like it did me to enjoy it. Alot of the trails are interconnected, some are not.

Last time I was there I ran over a rattle snake and my brother in law stoped and caught it.

Have fun.
    Thanks for the Ryder park tip. I hiked there a bit but wasn't sure if bikes were allowed. I might give that a go next time.

mtbr member
    I'm actually a student at Penn College in Williamsport. I've done riding at Ryder Park as well as the Williamsport Water Authority. Ryder Park is fairly tame with a few climbs, but can be fun if you do a few loops. I personally prefer riding at Rothrock State Forest in State College, the trails are well worth the drive and very technical. If you are interested in riding there contact The Bicycle Shop, they are very friendly and will reccomend a great ride.
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO" - Peter Griffin

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtnBiker
    I'm actually a student at Penn College in Williamsport. I've done riding at Ryder Park as well as the Williamsport Water Authority. Ryder Park is fairly tame with a few climbs, but can be fun if you do a few loops. I personally prefer riding at Rothrock State Forest in State College, the trails are well worth the drive and very technical. If you are interested in riding there contact The Bicycle Shop, they are very friendly and will reccomend a great ride.
    So how do you like the watershed ride? Is it better than Ryder Park?

I went to Penn State and rode with the cycling club. I'm very familiar with Rothrock and the trails in the State College area, definitely my favorite trails.

mtbr member
    my parents have a cabin in waterville. ever hear of happy acres great place to eat but i think its closed now. anyways any good places to ride near waterville?

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

I ride at Waterville/Pine creek area

I ride up at Waterville/ Happy Acres, my mother still lives up there.

I know all the trails/fireroads from years of riding four wheelers/motor cycles during summer vacation.

I see your from Bloomsburg. Well I was born and raised in Berwick , I never have been riding down in that area.

E-mail me we can get together sometime. bikeboyishere@hotmail.com
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    man happy acres was the best its to bad its closed now. everytime i went to my parents cabin we ate there. i was actually just up there this past weekend and ate at the waterville inn. every been there they have the "mountain burger". anyways. is there good riding up there. i just got into riding about 3 months ago and only get to go out about once a week if i'm lucky so i oubt riding with me would be much fun for you. not to many places to ride in bloom. danville is good and there are some good trails out in mainville which is where i grew up(now live in lightstreet) other than that not many other trails that i know about anyways. i did find a nice littel rail-trail system that runs from waterville to wellsboro with camping sites along the trail. i think i will be riding camping on that trails this some and do some trout fishing in pine creek

mtbr member

Happy Acres...Oh the memories

Glad I happened to check the PA section. Born and raised in good old Billtown, spent lot's of time at Happy Acres as a little punk kid.

I am planning to hit Rothrock over Thanksgiving, weather permitting. Just talked to the Bicycle Shop, they mentioned purplelizard.com for some maps. Haven't checked out that site yet.....

mtbr member

Live in Cleveland OH now....

Forgot to mentiont that....

reebok classics
    i go to penn tech and did the water authority ride a few times on my CX bike.... if you like climbing then that ride is for you

PS where are all these penn tech riders i never see any around and if you want to ride ill bring my hardtail up and we'll THROWDOWN

trail addict

try this for ideas...

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=480&bc=0&c=69913&pgcNav=|

The PA Game Commission has some trails designated for mt bike use (scroll down and click on map). Make sure you follow the rules, we don't want to lose the priviledge of sharing the game lands (and we definitely don't want to get shot by mistake). The trails probably aren't very challenging, but I can't say for sure.

I live in Bloomsburg, and I don't get over to Williamsport very often, but I do know that it is surrounded by some of PA's most beautiful scenery- take 15N and drive past steamtown and trout run-I'd like to bike in those hills sometime when I get a chance.

HTH,

Yates

mtbr member
    yates i live in bloomsburg too. do you ride danville trails at all or the mainville stategame lands? i live in lightstreet area

reebok classics

near the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    yates i live in bloomsburg too. do you ride danville trails at all or the mainville stategame lands? i live in lightstreet area

i raced one time on the trails in danville near the hospital

TOUR de TYKES i think it was callled

the shop i work at was one of the sponsors
    buffalo valley outdoor in mifflinburg

smell my finger

Bloom rides

Oh, the memmories! I went to Bloomsburg and basically learned to ride there. The state gamelands were my stomping grounds. Used to ride from the college, over the bridge by the airport, turn left climbed the mountain. Sometimes I'd ride down to the old ski lodge, but most times I'd ride to Mainville and the Gamelands. Used to ride and explore the gamelands to Catawissa then take rt 42? past the Indian Head and then back to Bloomsburg. Man, I used to ride so much back then. We use to ride behind the Bloomsburg Hospital heliport too. I know this doesn't really help you in Williamsport, but I saw the Bloomsburg topic and was feeling nostalgic.

trail addict
    Last year we did a lot of riding out behind Wonderview. I also like going behind Bloom Hospital. I finally found out where the Danville trails are and I'm looking forward to hitting them this spring. I'll also be doing the state game lands when huntin season is over.

How often do you get out? How old are ya?

I try to make a few short rides every week when the weather is nice. I'm 29 (but act 20, or so I like to think). I've only been in Bloom a couple of years, so it was hard finding places to ride at first, but I have a few friends who are locals and that helps. I'm a local now, too. My wife and I will be buying a house on Central Rd when the mortgage finally gets approved.

Keep warm.

Yates

mtbr member
    yates i am 23. i rode the trails behind bloom hospital many years ago i thought they are all grown up? anything good behind the hospital? i don't normally get out until the weekends. have work until 7 or 8 most nights. i work on central rd. where do you live now. there is a small trail in the light street area that isn't to bad. good for quick rides. a guy i know lives in wonderview and maintains some of the trails back there. have you ever hit the dirtjumps accross the railroad tracks in wonderview? and the danville trails are great man. best trails in the area drop me your e-mail address. heck maybe we know each other

joemamad- i grew up in mainville. great trails there

smell my finger
    Well it's been a few years since I graduated from Bloom, class of '96. I'm 31 now and I still love the town and the area, both are great for ridding. Not too much traffic on the side streets and "oh the hills" ( e.g. Spruce St.). I am originally from Allentown and now live back in Bethlehem. I try to visit at least once a year, but haven't hand my bike up there in quite a few years. I keep saying to myself that I'll ride again there someday, maybe this year...

mtbr member
    my sister in law works in hellertown and lives in easton. yeah the hills around here get bad sometimes spruce st is crazy i could imagine riding up that hill. going down would be a blast