mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Any riders in Jim Thorpe?

I just moved back to Jim Thorpe, I'm looking for people to ride with. I don't know many of the trails here, but I have been re-discovering some old 4wheeler paths in Leisureland which are awesome. Is there a bike group website for the area?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are plenty of riders in and near the JT area. I live outside of Hazleton and ride JT almost every week or so. There is also a lot of different places to ride within an hours ride of JT. Allentown area, Moon Lake near Wilkes Barre, Mt Penn and Blue Marsh outside of Reading just to name a few. Just post up here when you're looking to ride and I'm sure you'll get some takers. There was a Thursday night ride leaving from the train station lot around 6ish. Did it a few times. Not sure if it is still going on. There has also been talk of building some new trails on some privately owned land but that seems to have sizzled some. Welcome back to the area.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ya just post up or PM here if you want to ride. Not the most familiar with the area but know the general trails. Plenty of stuff outside of Jim Thorpe as well. Only live about 10 minutes from Jim Thorpe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are a lot of old atv trails on the outskirts of JT that aren't used anymore (gas being more expensive, too noisy for the neighbors, etc). I am going to modify them a bit for some awesome single track riding. There is a lot of potential for this area to be a mtb mecca. I am pretty sure I can get the support of the local bike stores too. If anybody wants to meet up and help, post away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure how long ago you lived here but a lot has changed. JT once was a busy biking location. The game commission has closed a lot of the trails to mtn bikes. As for the bike shops all they do now is shuttle rides to the gorge for the out of towners looking for some rail to trail riding. I'm not even sure how their sales are on bikes. I don't really think mtn biking is high on their list.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    I'm from Tamaqua area and will be hitting up Bungalow Sat May 24 9:00 AM if any of you want a tour of some really cool stuff over this way. Sorry for such late notice but other plans fell through. Will be in green dodge truck with a giant anthem 29er.

Bdub
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    I'm about a half hour away and would be up to ride the area. Rode some stuff there this weekend and plan on exploring more.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Hey Chiro Biker, I live and ride in JT. The riders here are few and far between, but the trails are plentiful once you figure them out. Not sure what type of rider you are, but we have a Thursday ride that leaves from the train station parking lot around 6:15 every week. It is a 19-20 mile loop using the Flagstaff ridge and the Switchback, I would consider it an intermediate ride. On most occasions there is two-three riders that show up every week. Feel free to join, I have been trying to build some local bicycle community, and a weekly group ride is the best way to start.
    strava is not real racing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Huber View Post
    Hey Chiro Biker, I live and ride in JT. The riders here are few and far between, but the trails are plentiful once you figure them out. Not sure what type of rider you are, but we have a Thursday ride that leaves from the train station parking lot around 6:15 every week. It is a 19-20 mile loop using the Flagstaff ridge and the Switchback, I would consider it an intermediate ride. On most occasions there is two-three riders that show up every week. Feel free to join, I have been trying to build some local bicycle community, and a weekly group ride is the best way to start.
    Is this the loop that goes up to Flagstaff and all the way out to Route 902 at the bottom of the mountain?

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Yep.
    strava is not real racing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I visited Jim Thorpe hoping to find some nice trails but found the trails i had heard about were all closed, the bike shops only gave me a map. Rail trails seem to be promoted heavy in the area. i ended up riding the switch back which was the equalivant of a rail trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rollodean View Post
    I visited Jim Thorpe hoping to find some nice trails but found the trails i had heard about were all closed, the bike shops only gave me a map. Rail trails seem to be promoted heavy in the area. i ended up riding the switch back which was the equalivant of a rail trail.
    A google search probably would have ended up netting you better results than going with the LBS. I have not been out to ride in a long time with personal stuff coming up but last I rode Jim Thorpe stuff was pretty cleared out.

Just a heads up for next time. Make the left coming down the switchback and go up the mountain. Definitely better than just continuing on. Some trails are still rideable just have to find them.

Jim Thorpe to Weissport would have been a better option probably than the switchback, although from what I have been reading and hearing Weissport is lacking the bridges and clearing out. Have not been there since the start of summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good advice - Thanks!
    i will give that a try when i return in the fall. i gotta say it was a beautiful area but not a challenging trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rollodean View Post
    Good advice - Thanks!
    i will give that a try when i return in the fall. i gotta say it was a beautiful area but not a challenging trail.
    Sounds good. Feel free to post in here when you do come back and you could probably end up hooking up with some people to show you around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotHead87 View Post
    Jim Thorpe to Weissport would have been a better option probably than the switchback, although from what I have been reading and hearing Weissport is lacking the bridges and clearing out. Have not been there since the start of summer.
    Pretty bad last time I hit it. Sections of bridges torn off, some bridges just destroyed and a few rotting apart. Last season I was trying get help or permission to work up there but no one seems to know anything.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I ride JT every time I'm back home.

The American Standard is in excellent shape, as are DP I and II, Pine Tar, and all the connectors. However it's poaching if you ride there.

Last time we did the Flaggy Ridge aka Psycho Betty's Revenge. Most of it is still there, if you knew it before they clear cut for a development and an overlook you'll still easily find your way. Bob's Bailout is still there as well.

We also headed up to Summit Hill one day on the Switch Back and found the single track that takes the ridge out to Pisgah in really good shape too.

The problem lies in that unless you have a GPX track or an old guide book all of these trails are not in the new books. For liability the LBS is not going to give out too much info on these closed trails. I don't blame them really, as a really big reason they are closed is because of bikers not respecting the game lands. I'm not going to argue or debate it, because I'm one of the locals who used to ride the week after MTB Weekend with a trash bag and rubber gloves cleaning up the mess.

But anyway, as JT was always meant to be an "Adventure" cycling destination, very little, like less then 1% of any trail is marked here. The basis most of this stuff was built was for you to find your way type stuff. You can talk to 10 different locals and get 10 different routes or names for a trail or direction to ride it in. If you want to ride it and learn it for yourself, then the best thing to do is post up here, and someone will ride with ya, or get someone to ride with ya. Everyone in the area that I know is really cool, and easy to get along with and love the area, so it should not be an issue.

I wish ya luck, and if I'm home when you're in the area to ride, I'll certainly show you around.

And I will echo what the other guys said as well, there are tons of other stuff around, that you could use JT as a base for.

Bear Creek
    Rattling Creek
    Roaring Run
    Bungalow
    Mary D
    Moon Lake
    Mt. Penn
    French Creek
    Blue Marsh
    Trexler Preserve
    Delano

To name a few