mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Any riders in Jim Thorpe?

I just moved back to Jim Thorpe, I'm looking for people to ride with. I don't know many of the trails here, but I have been re-discovering some old 4wheeler paths in Leisureland which are awesome. Is there a bike group website for the area?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are plenty of riders in and near the JT area. I live outside of Hazleton and ride JT almost every week or so. There is also a lot of different places to ride within an hours ride of JT. Allentown area, Moon Lake near Wilkes Barre, Mt Penn and Blue Marsh outside of Reading just to name a few. Just post up here when you're looking to ride and I'm sure you'll get some takers. There was a Thursday night ride leaving from the train station lot around 6ish. Did it a few times. Not sure if it is still going on. There has also been talk of building some new trails on some privately owned land but that seems to have sizzled some. Welcome back to the area.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ya just post up or PM here if you want to ride. Not the most familiar with the area but know the general trails. Plenty of stuff outside of Jim Thorpe as well. Only live about 10 minutes from Jim Thorpe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are a lot of old atv trails on the outskirts of JT that aren't used anymore (gas being more expensive, too noisy for the neighbors, etc). I am going to modify them a bit for some awesome single track riding. There is a lot of potential for this area to be a mtb mecca. I am pretty sure I can get the support of the local bike stores too. If anybody wants to meet up and help, post away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure how long ago you lived here but a lot has changed. JT once was a busy biking location. The game commission has closed a lot of the trails to mtn bikes. As for the bike shops all they do now is shuttle rides to the gorge for the out of towners looking for some rail to trail riding. I'm not even sure how their sales are on bikes. I don't really think mtn biking is high on their list.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    I'm from Tamaqua area and will be hitting up Bungalow Sat May 24 9:00 AM if any of you want a tour of some really cool stuff over this way. Sorry for such late notice but other plans fell through. Will be in green dodge truck with a giant anthem 29er.

Bdub
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    I'm about a half hour away and would be up to ride the area. Rode some stuff there this weekend and plan on exploring more.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Hey Chiro Biker, I live and ride in JT. The riders here are few and far between, but the trails are plentiful once you figure them out. Not sure what type of rider you are, but we have a Thursday ride that leaves from the train station parking lot around 6:15 every week. It is a 19-20 mile loop using the Flagstaff ridge and the Switchback, I would consider it an intermediate ride. On most occasions there is two-three riders that show up every week. Feel free to join, I have been trying to build some local bicycle community, and a weekly group ride is the best way to start.
    strava is not real racing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Huber View Post
    Hey Chiro Biker, I live and ride in JT. The riders here are few and far between, but the trails are plentiful once you figure them out. Not sure what type of rider you are, but we have a Thursday ride that leaves from the train station parking lot around 6:15 every week. It is a 19-20 mile loop using the Flagstaff ridge and the Switchback, I would consider it an intermediate ride. On most occasions there is two-three riders that show up every week. Feel free to join, I have been trying to build some local bicycle community, and a weekly group ride is the best way to start.
    Is this the loop that goes up to Flagstaff and all the way out to Route 902 at the bottom of the mountain?

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Yep.
    strava is not real racing!