Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

Any riders frequent the Caledonia/Michaux area?

Any riders frequent the Caledonia/Michaux area? I'm trying to find some trail maps. Years ago the Park Service had some decent maps of the area, but a recent stop into the Ranger Station left me empty handed. I vaguely recall a few trails from riding on them years ago, but my 2 hour bike rides often turn into 4 hour rides when I come across a new trail and curiousity gets the best of me.

Any ideas?

-Josh

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check out www.racemichaux.com for maps of the Michaux race series. Also look at http://the-skinny-on-mbm.blogspot.com/ for rides with the Mountain Bikers of Michaux.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks, I bookmarked both of those sites. I grew up only a few minutes from Michaux, but have long since forgotten the trails that taught me how to ride over a decade ago. I even competed in the Michaux IronMasters Race back when it was being held. I'm now about 30 minutes away, and am looking to get back in that area and start riding again.

-Josh

mtbr member
    I've never ridden with the mountain bikers of michaux, but that would seem to be a great way to learn where the trails are located. Race michaux was the only place I have found maps of the area.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I went to Michaux today for a 3 hour ride. I stopped in at the Ranger Station that is located right at the spot where Route 233 makes a sharp turn towards Rt. 81. If you were to go straight 233 turns into Pine Grove Road and Fuller Lake will be on the right in about an 1/8 mile. This Ranger Station was immediately after the IronMasters Mansion and Bendersville Road. They had a decent map titled "A Recreational Guide for Pine Grove Furnace State Park." It's just a little green colored map that was folded up in the wooden Bulletin Board in front of the Station. It is definitely missing some trails, but I was able to reference it to keep myself pointed in the right direction. I only saw two other guys on Mt. Bikes the whole time I was up there, and that occured as I was pulling into the parking lot about 1/3 way up Bendersville Rd. to pack up and head home around 730 P.M.

Now broadcasting from CO

Michaux Maps

Datalogger, the best and most accurate maps are the Patomac ATC maps. You can pick one up at the Pine Groove Furnace Office for like three bucks. They don't show anywhere near all the mtb-able trails there are, but they have all the ATV stuff from Bendersville including the infamous grave ridge. The PATC also does a map of the Teaberry/Mount Alto area, and I'm sure they're the same as the Northern Corridor map.

The best way to figure out Michaux is to get with a group ride, like the MBM rides in Mount Alto or Caledonia. PM me and I'll give you info about the group that rides out of the Pine Groove area. They're cool people...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Hey thanks, I'll stop in today and pick one up. The PGF Office is the building right next to 233 where it makes a sharp turn and heads towards 81 right? I believe it sits next to the IronMasters Mansion/Hostel? I've been sketching in trails as I go. Lol. Google Earth has been a decent help too.

I've logged over 100 miles in Michaux in the last week, actually heading out the door right now to ride there again. (Pine Grove Furnace upper parking lot today.) The terrain varies so much in that area it really keeps everything interesting.

Thanks for the info!

-Josh

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there are trillions of trails to ride in michaux. I have a map but not sure where it came from (friend picked it up for me) but riding with MBM would good for riding new stuff and getting aquinted with new places to ride

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Datalogger, the best and most accurate maps are the Patomac ATC maps. You can pick one up at the Pine Groove Furnace Office for like three bucks. They don't show anywhere near all the mtb-able trails there are, but they have all the ATV stuff from Bendersville including the infamous grave ridge. The PATC also does a map of the Teaberry/Mount Alto area, and I'm sure they're the same as the Northern Corridor map.

The best way to figure out Michaux is to get with a group ride, like the MBM rides in Mount Alto or Caledonia. PM me and I'll give you info about the group that rides out of the Pine Groove area. They're cool people...
    Sorry about the delay...

I went up last Wednesday and did some riding in Pine Grove, when I stopped by the Office on my bike they were closed and there was a sign indicating they would be closed on Thursday too. Friday I went to Big Flat and departed from there, so I haven't been back to Pine Grove since Thursday.

Years ago I used to ride in Mont Alto with Brian and Chad from Appalachian Bicycles (formerly of Chambersburg). They had group rides that departed from the parking lot near the College. That was probably about a decade ago... Lol.

I'll send you a PM.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

HopHeads, Unite!
    Flip me a PM, I might be able to help you out...as long as you don't cut logs off trails...

Where do you live now?
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugboot
    Flip me a PM, I might be able to help you out...as long as you don't cut logs off trails...

Where do you live now?
    I currently reside in Chambersburg, PA.

PM Sent.

-Josh
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH