mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Any regular groups ride in wissahickon?

Hi y'all,

I'm new to the philly area and I'm looking for people to ride with- I live in center city and ride belmont a couple of days a week and occasionally wissahickon. I'd like to get out to wiss. more, but I always get a little lost/confused in the park, and the ride out and back gets a little boring after a while. If anyone rides with a regular group in wissahickon, I'd love to tag along. I'm not a great rider, just getting back into it after taking 4 years in college off (didn't live in a terribly bike-friendly place, and had too many skis and too much climbing gear already), but I am in good shape and am recovering long-lost technical skills pretty quickly. drop me a line in this thread or via pm if you'd be interested in riding wiss. (or elsewhere, for that matter). Thanks!

g

mtbr member
    Hey Glytch,

Welcome to Philly! Myself and Electric Mustard also live in Center City, and tend to ride either Belmont or Wissahickon given their proximity. Wissahickon is fairly straight forward, so once you have ridden it a couple of times, you will be fine.

I'm not sure what our plans are for this weekend, but if we do ride, you are more than welome to come along. I can let you know here or via PM. Do you have a preferred time to ride?

Cheers,

David

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    David,

Thanks for replying! generally I like to ride mid-morning fri and/or sat (I also rock climb, so some days I'm off climbing), as well as a couple of weekday afternoons when possible. I'm hoping to ride this sunday sometime in the afternoon for 2 or 3 hours (plans late sat night will prob. prevent an earlier ride). It'd be awesome to tag along with you guys if that's a time you were thinking of riding. Thanks, and please let me know... here is fine, or by pm.

g

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    join the forum over at at phillymtb.com for all things philly riding! also if you can make it, our next meeting is the 8th of may.

there are normally group rides in the wiss every wednesday night.

Jeremy
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member
    Hey Glytch,

No worries at all. This weekend is up in the air in terms of riding, but I'll keep you posted. Do you have lights? I'm expecting a set to arrive today, so an evening ride is possible.

Also, do check out the PMBA website. There are always group rides being organised, although I'm not sure whether many are riding from Center City.

Cheers,

David

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The Wheel Wright crew usually does morning rides around 7:30 - 8 a.m. I would be there this weekend but there is a rail jam going on at Big Boulder (good to see another skier on the Philly boards!) . Anyway, we're a very relaxed group that is more on the freeride side of things so we stop a lot of chat with people we meet up with. Feel free to join up with us.

I'm probably tryin' to get a more freeride oriented ride in soon, but guests will be chosen carefully so as not to get my ass kicked by "madmavic."

mtbr member
    trev, hows the build going?

glytch, im in the same position as you. took a 2 seasons off because of college, but getting back into the hang of it. i live outside of philly and WISS is about 35 minutes from me, but I try and get there as much as possible. This weekend I made plans to ride Pennypack (which is GREAT, check it out), but next weekend I may be back at WISS. Once exams are over, I'll be trying to ride much more.

If you want to come out to Pennypack this weekend, feel free to join up. Just PM me today (Friday) for more info.

Adam
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ah! I think real freeride's above my ability right now... I'm more of a technical xc sort of guy... I think I'd probably slow y'all down a lot and injure myself in the process. Maybe if I shape up my skills again, get a little bored of xc, and buy a heap of pads, I'll be ready for some fr.

now, skiing is another issue entirely... I'm happy to charge just about anything. I guess that's the difference that builds up when you quit biking and keep ski racing in college

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsygoldtop
    join the forum over at at phillymtb.com for all things philly riding! also if you can make it, our next meeting is the 8th of may.

there are normally group rides in the wiss every wednesday night.

Jeremy
    I'll check it out, thanks!