trail addict

Any maps of roaring creek natalie side?

Does anyone have a map? Or gps tracks of several rides? Anything?

I will take an oath of secrecy, do trail work, and/or donate a case of beer in exchange!

Every time I ride Roaring Creek on the Natalie side I end up just a little out of my comfort zone. I want to explore but the terrain and weather can be punishing if you end up on the wrong side of the mountain and running out of water.

I am pretty good now at navigating several fun spots, but I am pretty sure there is a lot more out there. Any help would be appreciated...
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

USP, attached is the best map that I have. I've been working on it in my (lack of) spare time. It's also very light on the Natalie side trails, which are very confusing, due to much of it being off of state forest property.
    RC in progress

I also have this quasi-Indiana Jones map from a few years ago that I can't make any sense of:
    Natalie

trail addict
    Not bad! Way better than the state forest maps. I might ride there today with those maps and bring a pencil along haha. Looking things over, it seems to make sense, even the quasi-Indiana Jones map. Unfortunately, I think some of those trails "from a few years ago" have overgrown. I was told that there just isn't as much mtb traffic there as there used to be.

Thanks again, man!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I ride there at least twice a week usually. Still love it everytime. There are a lot more trails on the natalie side then that gps shows as well. It's hard to get lost once your on the ridge. If you go down on the south side you will hit a logging road to ride back up and if you go down the north you hit the road at the bottom with 3 trails to come back up. You can make almost a 30 mile loop which is awesome as well.

--Adam

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I typically start my rides from the bottom lot on the route 42 side. Following headwaters to the East and up to the top of the mountain, follow the detour to cross rt 42 at the top of the mountain then down pump house to my car has been my loop of choice recently. Looking around there are several trails on that trail that are not marked on a map but look pretty well used.
    It would be nice to get together with some other riders sometime and ride here. Riding by myself is nice but being that remote in the woods is always on the back of my mind.

David

mtbr member
    David when are you you generally riding. I usually start from that side as well, usually after work around 4-5pm. If you see a black wrx wagon with saris hitch rack I'm already out hahah.

If I'm running low on time I'll start from the top at the playground or the little pull off near Natalie on Rt-54 near the top and go in that way to do this loop or go out furthur and back. Mountain biking Workout | Endomondo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Adam:
    Usually during the week i ride around my house and sometimes stop at Trexler, north of Allentown, on my commute home from work on Friday's. Saturday or Sunday afternoons are my riding times.

I typically only ride RC on weekends, and usually start near the construction site or the Natalie playground, occasionally I start from the Rt42 lower lot. My ride schedule right now is sporadic and usually planned last minute, so it's hard for me to do group rides.

trail addict
    I tested the maps yesterday-mainly the quasi-Indiana Jones one. Good enough to boost confidence, confusing enough to nearly get lost Good thing the sun was out to get my bearings back after an ugly push-climb back to the ridge.

All-in-all, it was a great ride and I am starting to make some sense out of what I have been riding. I love it there, but it is tough to put fun loops together when you aren't sure where singletrack will drop you out... or which of the web of roads you are on!

Natalie might be my new favorite place to ride!

AND I know how you feel on this quote:

"My ride schedule right now is sporadic and usually planned last minute..."

haha

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post

AND I know how you feel on this quote: "My ride schedule right now is sporadic and usually planned last minute..."
    Two kids. The oldest is 22 months. It's a killer. Been racking up the road miles with the trailer and bike seat though!

trail addict
    Two kids. The oldest just turned 4. It will be time for a trail-a-bike maybe next year I hope. I have been trying the strider in the driveway and he just doesn't quite understand yet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's an out of the way area, not well known, and not well mapped. I learned some of the trails and routes there via:

Go to Garmin's web site for posting GSP tracks, http://connect.garmin.com/explore?search=courses#. Explore > Starting Near > Natalie, PA or Aristes, PA > Filters: Make the time period go back more than 30 days, and filter by Mountain Biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ride down in Allentown area and these trails are much different than around here. Makes it a hell of a lot more challenging with those lung buster hills. Also great to have a guide by one of the guys who helps cut and maintain the trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It is a good time there. I keep hoping to run into some locals there myself while i ride. I now live about 20 mins away and frequent the trails.
    What kindof loop did you put together on your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Btownrider View Post
    I ride down in Allentown area and these trails are much different than around here. Makes it a hell of a lot more challenging with those lung buster hills. Also great to have a guide by one of the guys who helps cut and maintain the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have no clue...due to lack of oxygen to brain from hill climbs. Am headed up there again to ride either today or tomorrow or both. I'll try to keep better track of trails this time.

mtbr member
    Let me know if you go tomorrow and I'll swing up maybe. I think my leg is healed up enough now from my issue last weekend at the enduro haha.

-Adam

mtbr member
    I'm riding roaring creek tomorrow after work, probably around 4:30. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.