mtbr member

New question here. Any good trails nearby?

Hey guy's. i just moved down to the Coventry/Pottstown area from Upstate NY. Im looking for any decent singletrack trails in the area. I've been looking in the forum but I'm not sure if Im missing something because for as much farm land around here you'd think there'd be some epic stretches of track.

I appreciate your help!

Mark
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    First of all, my condolences (I live in Pottstown..... yuck).

But, theres lots of good riding. First of all, check out French Creek State Park. It's about 15 minutes from Pottstown, even closer to Coventry. If you drive a little farther south, you can hit the Downingtown trail system (check the trail reviews for "Gibson Covered Bridge", or Marsh Creek State Park. You can also drive a little north on 100 and hit Bear Creek (short trail system, but probably the most challanging). A little more driving to the north will get you to Jim Thorpe or the Lehigh Valley, and to the south is Wissahickon (Fairmount Park system in Philly).

So why on earth did you move here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Lots more riding in the Lehigh Valley area as well, including Salisbury, S. Mtn Emmaus, Jordan Creek, Jacobsburg State Park, and further south at Green Lane. Plus a killer road and 'cross culture going on around as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Moved because of my job which is in Malvern. I was running out of time and landed in Coventry. Well at least its only a lease for now! I appreciate you help.

What bike shop would you say is the most solid in the area?
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL

mtbr member
    JB Mountain Bikes in Shillington (about a half hour from you) sells Ellsworth.

Blue Marsh is near there for riding also.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

In Coventry? Just get on Rt. 23 at Rt 100.....

And head west for about a half hour. You'll be in the "Amish Country". You have to experience Shirk's Bike Shop just off of Rt. 23 on Liga Law Road. Plus, you can then hit up the Shady Maple Smorgasbord after your visit to Shirk's where you can "eat your face off"!

Plus, French Creek (great riding) is about half way between. Just of off Rt. 23 on Rt. 345. As is the J. Maki winery just off of Rt. 23 near Elverson.

And, if you're working in Malvern, as already mentioned, head out after work to the "Trestle Bridge" or "Covered Bridge" (one in the same) trails in D'town. I believe that a group ride still heads out of Lowerider's Sports (bike shop) in Downingtown at least once a week. Check here on this forum for more info. on that.
    Plus, after that ride, you can go to Victory Brewing Company for dinner!

Your location allows for SO much. With a little more driving, you can ride Jim Thorpe (already mentioned but is so good.), Wissahickon & the Belmont Thursday night "races" on the edge of Philly, and don't forget about Fair Hill, Md. and White Clay, DE. (Both of the last two mentioned are barely over the PA line and are only about an hour away for you.)

Despite the "jabs" that you are taking for the "Pottstown" location....for riding....you ended up in a really great area!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Plus, after that ride, you can go to Victory Brewing Company for dinner!
    They are still closed for renovations... I think they open in early May, though.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    The renditions that I saw on the web look nice though! Can't wait to see the new, improved menu as well! Well....that, and....to get back there for some brew!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Don't Listen to RoyDean haha, as long as your not on the pottstown side of the river, your good. I live in the 19465/north coventry area and theres good riding around depending on what your looking for.

Your bike would be really be fun at french creek. You can also bring it over to Mt. Penn area in Reading (where the "reading racing" Duryea downhill's were held). Not sure if your more into the FR/DH side of all mountain, or the XC side, but Mt. Penn has it all, with some really gnarly DH/FR stuff, as well as some established XC/AM trails.

Theres a network of trails on the hunting grounds of what i think is the french creek shooting range (seperate trails from french creek, smoother with less rocks, however some have... sand?? haha it sucks riding uphill in sand). To get to them you go down rt 23 towards turnpike, but turn at the D'ambrosio/rt 345 road, and take that until you get to a stop sign, take left, and the next left and ride that road until it ends at the shooting range. Just ride your bike through the gate and explore haha.

Pottstown has some shitty DJ's at the riverfront park under the rt 100 bridge to play around on and not worry about getting knifed. but don't take too long building anything cause any hard rain will result in flooding of that area from the river and shitty jumps again lol.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I actually live in East coventry so it looks like Im on the okay side of the river. I actually got rid of the Ells and got a road bike. I know I had a major brain fart that day and I've regretted it ever since, Im talking with the boys over at Bikeline and they seem to be pretty decent. We'll see what happens tonight as I'm selling my Salsa on ebay. Thanks again-
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL

mtbr member
    Hey I am from that area, you should check out French Creek for sure. And try Wissahickon in Philly, its awesome.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

RoyDean you are correct!....Sorry, not trying to poach your thread...

Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    They are still closed for renovations... I think they open in early May, though.
    http://www.victorybeer.com/home.html

Just got the email tonight that they are opening May 7th.

All the more reason to ride D'town!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I work at the Dick's Sporting Goods there so if you want some work done you have my word that it'll be done by a guy with at least half a brain unlike most of the other techs we employ.

As to good trails. I found one that I am using to test myself, and my bike build on. It's up here in the Mt Penn/Exeter/Reading area. It starts on the Exeter River trail by Gibraltar, and goes up and around Neversink Mountain. (#5 on the JB Mountain Bikes list I think) It's 2-3 miles of flatlander river trail riding as warm up/cool down, and if you take a left past the cemetery it climbs up in a nice fairly decent (for me anyway) climb that gets progressively rougher as it goes up the mountain. (ok large hill) There are plenty of scenic spots to 'rest' at, and at the top you get a view of the south side of Reading if you want one. After that it loops down and connects to the same spot you started from by the cemetery. I use the little river trail section as a cool down and end up back at my car. Took me about 2 hours last time.

Not sure of mileage, but it isn't nearly as long as Blue Marsh or French Creek maybe 15 or so? It's a good one for me since I'm more of a tech then a rider....I mean I'm seriously out of shape!

One warning. The top of the mountain was fist size and smaller shale rock over dry very loose soil. I had a blast, but it did a number on my headset as well as me coming down. At the same time I knew going in that I seriously needed to replace my fork, and this proved it. There was small decent that had me at 45 degrees or more on the same soil with logs. My hardtail and I went down sideways. Again my ride is the no budget wonder so the fork sucked, the tires are balding, and cheap, and the rider isn't the most experienced. BUT I LOVED IT!

I'm going out on tuesday, and it'll be interesting to see what a couple of days of rain do to the trail as far as loose soil goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Finally!

You finally got that bike of yours (Cannondale)up and running? Lets go downhilling!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    You finally got that bike of yours (Cannondale)up and running? Lets go downhilling!
    I've been riding the Neversink Trail quite a bit. The trails are a little confusing up there and I haven't found the loop yet. I seem to end up on some random paved lane, or right next to some dude's house at a random stop sign. The map isn't all that useful either. Wanna ride? I might be available some time next week.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Hey, I grew up in Upstate NY and go there to visit family from time-to-time. I've never been able to find good technical trails (near Utica). Do you have any suggestions?
    (2004 Moment & 2007 R.I.P.9)

mtbr member
    I had never gone to Utica to ride I mostly stayed around the Syracuse area. There is a place in Phoenix called Great Bear which is cool and another place up in syracuse by the University where there is an old gravel pit. I'm sure there are some places in Utica so I would check the forum for NY.
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Be sure to check out Spring Mountain, too!

I rode Spring Mountain ski slope in Spring Mountain, PA (Montgomery County) about a month ago. I hadn't ridden there since an XC race in 2000 and I forgot how good the trails are. There are only about 7 miles of trails, but they are tight and rocky with several shortish, steep uphills. There are also some bridges, skinnies and such, but they appear to be rotting/rotten so I'd ride around them.

As a nice bonus, they have a good bar/restaurant called "The Tiki Bar" in lodge at the base of the mountain.

link here: http://www.springmountain-fun.com/directions.htm