mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Any decent trails near Jim Thorpe?

My wife and I are in the area visiting relatives, and the folks in town told us that American Standard trail has been closed for a few years. With that said, it seems many in the area still ride it based on comments here, so we tried to find the trail head but couldn't. Also, we were told that if we choose to ride it anyway, we either should ride with someone who knows the trail or have a solid GPS handy; otherwise you can easily get lost as apparently the trail isn't maintained well and there are all sorts of off-shoots and such.

We read here about what a disaster the Broad Mountain Loop was but decided to give it a shot anyway since we were right there. What a complete mess and its 90% rocks that some idiots decided to dump throughout in order to make it easier for trucks to access or something of the sort. We rode for about 2 miles, then turned around as it wasn't fun in the slightest. That used to be a decent trail back in the day...now its completely ruined.

For an outdoor tourist spot like JT, you'd think there would be some good MTB trails in the area. Instead you're basically left with AS, which is officially closed, and the rail trail, which is what your 90 year old grandmother would walk/ride. Any help would be appreciated....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    AS won't get you in trouble if you ride it, at least I've never heard of anyone getting spanked for riding it, but yeah, I've been there once and I wouldn't be able to navigate it without a GPS. Too many intersections and stuff. Unless you just go in with a GPS and ride wherever, and then trace your way back.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm sure someone will chime in with alternate JT options, but if you drive like 25 minutes south you can hit up Trexler if you like fast and flowy stuff; 45 minutes from JT and you can hit up Salisbury. There might be Pocono-area options people can suggest too.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Not the same JT as back in it's heyday in the 1980/90s! The trails at Mountain Top, Pa would be your next closest, but you'll need a local to show you around there also! There is a chance I'll be rid'in Mt Top Friday in the afternoon, with others, I'll post time if we can pull it off.

mtbr member
    I take it there are still decent trails in JT, I just haven't found them yet. When I'm in the area, I pay to ride at Blue Mtn, which is hugely fun even on a trail bike. It's a half-hour out of JT.

I rode AS once last year and thought it wasn't anything special. Without a GPS it would have been hopeless trying to follow it. No sign then of it being closed. I vaguely remember the AS trailhead being across the street from the parking pull-off and a couple hundred yards up the hill (not into the gun range), just past a truck pull-off sign or something. The trail entrance not very obvious. Am sure someone can give you better info, that's all I remember.

Hope that helps, good luck.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    The Broad Mtn loop is shot ever since the Game Commission/State Park Service decided to "fix" the trail. It's unrideable. The American Standard is well ridden in and there is probably tons of GPS data out there if you are savy with technology. I'm a local rider and there has never been more options to ride in JT, just have to explore. Singletrack on every ridge in JT and Nesquehoning.
    strava is not real racing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's what prevents me from heading up to JT- it's all hidden stuff, which I hear is all very fun, but I just don't know where any of it is. That switchback trail above the town is just worth me driving for- AS, that was fun, but fun in like an "old school" kinda way. Like it's a mountain bike trail pre-dating purpose built mtb trails. So while I enjoyed it, there weren't more than a few sections that made me want to go "OMG that was cool"
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Most to all of the singletrack in JT is similar to The Standard, real mountain biking, woodsy, roots, rocks, reggae! This is also the case with the trails in the Mountain Top/Whitehaven area. Limited engineered mountain bike trails, but they are trails indicative to the lay of the land, built/maintained by mountain bikers.
    strava is not real racing!