mtbr member

Any cool jobs in Pittsburgh or the surrounding area??? I am ready to relocate.

I don't know if its cool to try and use MTBR to network for work??? so I am sorry if this isn't cool I was recently denied on my application to grad school, but, I still want to move back to the Pittsburgh area. Since I did not get into school I can either go back to IUP or find a job in Pittsburgh. I would not mind, using my degree and experience in a new position, but, I would like to work with a brewery, or maybe a bike shop and gain some knowledge in those areas purely out of personal interest. I have my BS in Biology with 2 Minors one in Chemistry and one in Psychology and 5 years of hospital lab experience. If anyone has information about a job that I might be able to do or be interested in please PM your email or a link to the job.

Thanks
    Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sheesh, I'd start with UPMC, one of the most popular and well known medical conglomerates in the United States, if not the world. Alot of big well known employers use websites like Monster to get to people, I'm happy with my career here in Pittsburgh but there are always big name company's contacting me.

And it's worth it to move down here for the bike culture. I used this website and Dirt Rag forums to meet people and to get an idea of where to move to. Now Frick Park is my back yard which translates to heaven on earth for an off road cyclist.

mtbr member
    VWMTBScott,

Thanks for the info, I have applied on UPMC before in the past but it seems like I get passed over alot (probably since I am out of state at the moment) I ll give them a second shot with my Monroeville address. I am looking forward to being in Pittsburgh and seeing the how the bike culture has changed since I have been gone

Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

Nice no rass
    You also have Bayer in PGH. Breweries would be Valhalla, Foundry Ale Works, Church Brew works, Red Star, Penn Brewery. I'm probably missing one on that list.

Try pacareerlink.com It's PA's employment agency and you don't need to be unemployed to use them. Indeed.com is a great search engine that compiles all the known job search engines into one. Westinghouse is also in the area and growing/hiring like crazy.

mtbr member
    Too Rass, apparently it's been a while since you've been to Pittsburgh Valhalla closed years ago, replaced by the restaurant Eleven. The Foundry has been closed for 5 years. Red Star is a tavern, not a brewery.

Nice no rass
    Yep, I avoid the city like the plague. Too bad about the Foundry, good beer. Valhalla, not so much IMO. Red Star in Greensburg is in fact a brew house. If there's a Red Star in the City, I'm not aware of it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I wasn't crazy about Vahalla beer either. There is a Red Star restaurant/tavern at Station Square. Never been to the one in Greensburg.

Nice no rass
    The one in Greensburg brews mighty good beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

positions for your chemistry degree

I don't know about the brewery or bike shop positions (they could be fun though), but some other places that are (or recently have been) hiring are Medtronics, Respironics, Bayer, PMET.. all might have openings for a chemist with lab experience.

I have a ChE degree and just moved to the Pittsburgh area from California (really missing the riding so far), so I've been job searching. Seems like a pretty fair number of jobs available in the area.

OnAssignment places people in lab positions, so it might be worthwhile talking to them.

good luck.

Nice no rass
    Respironics has all the job sites loaded with jobs. Been that way for over a year. Scarey thing is, they never seem to fill them. Not sure what's going on there. Always makes me wonder when a company is constantly posting the same jobs, over and over again. American Eagle and Fischer Scientific is the same way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You could always try to score a position with Dirt Rag (http://www.dirtragmag.com), which is based in Pittsburgh. There are plenty of bars around town, so you can work with beer even if you can't work making beer. Still, it's worth giving Penn Brewery or Church Brew Works a ring and see if you can get in the door.

mtbr member
    Seem to be plenty of biology tech jobs with Pitt, UPMC, and local clinical research groups. My wife is a microbiology grad student at Pitt and I'm a wildlife biologist.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake