Icebiker

Any conditions reports for Nockamixon?

Tried VMB's site but no recent posts. Was thinking of riding Nox tomorrow, but it's an hour's drive and would not want to go if the trails are soft/wet/prone to damage. Have been a lot of T-storms in the past week, though not so much in the last two days, , so I'm unsure of what it's like. Anyone have some recent 411?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I saw a warning on Facebook that there is significant damage from people riding in the mud recently. They would probably prefer light traffic until the trails dry out some.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah its definitely a no go for at least a few days.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Any updates? I was contemplating my first visit to these trails. We just had some rain maybe 2 days ago and I've heard this place can get messy.

I'd appreciate any information.
    The cake is a lie.

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    if you donít get any more current info, I was there last weekend (didnít do jay walk or south park) and there were wet spots on the upper (further away from the lake) part of eastern woods. the rest of the trials were good that I can remember. hopefully someone will give you a more updated condition though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was just there about an hour ago. First time there and I rode the whole thing (I think). For the most part it was dry-ish with some wetter spots, but every now and again and especially on the southern end I found some serious mud holes. These all had tire tracks through them.

This sucks guys. Please ride around or dismount if you see this:

Riding through it just makes it worse and make it take longer to dry out.

Some of the best trails I've ever ridden otherwise. Nice to actually ride on trails created by riders rather than generic multi use hiking trails. Far more interesting this way.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report. Depending on how much rain we get tomorrow, I may try this weekend. I didn't end up going last weekend. A last minute call from a new riding buddy ended in a change of plans.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik View Post
    I was just there about an hour ago. First time there and I rode the whole thing (I think). For the most part it was dry-ish with some wetter spots, but every now and again and especially on the southern end I found some serious mud holes. These all had tire tracks through them.

This sucks guys. Please ride around or dismount if you see this:

Riding through it just makes it worse and make it take longer to dry out.

Some of the best trails I've ever ridden otherwise. Nice to actually ride on trails created by riders rather than generic multi use hiking trails. Far more interesting this way.
    Its best to go straight through a puddle, trying to go around widens the trail and makes the puddle a lake.

Icebiker
    ^ True. IMBA recommends this until the spot can be remediated. Surprised the trail has that much water though given the relative dry spell we've had...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I can see that I guess. Seems like it would just dig it deeper to ride through though. I'll just dismount and walk around if I see one that bad.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I can see that I guess. Seems like it would just dig it deeper to ride through though. I'll just dismount and walk around if I see one that bad.
    Digging it deeper is less bad than wider, because it's still easier to repair.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Alright I stand corrected. Shows what I know about trail building.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I used to not know that, too. If it was one rider riding around it once, it doesn't hurt, but when a bunch of people are doing it, that is how a lake happens
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There now. GLASS near the start of the north section. Took a right after the trailhead and found broken glass all over the trail not far from the start. Some looks old and embedded other stuff looks fresh. I tried to move it but there's a lot of small pieces. Be aware.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Ride most of the network today, ran into Energetik , conditions overall were fabulous BUT there were intermittent and significant mud puddles on South Park. Some of which I wheelied through (I don't like mud spray off my front wheel) but other's I stopped to walk. It wasn't enough to say "don't go ride" that section, just be aware. I can see how it's just hard for that area to drain and dry though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There now. GLASS near the start of the north section. Took a right after the trailhead and found broken glass all over the trail not far from the start. Some looks old and embedded other stuff looks fresh. I tried to move it but there's a lot of small pieces. Be aware.
    Someone told me once that it is old glass that gets slowly brought up from in the soil. I've seen that glass come and go
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Someone told me once that it is old glass that gets slowly brought up from in the soil. I've seen that glass come and go
    Your right Jared, there are a few spots with glass. The one Energetik noticed is the worst one, must have been how the farmers back in the day recycled glass (actually found some old bottles from back in the prohibition days and a cool 1926 Pennsylvania RV license plate).
    So yea we keep removing the glass off of the trail and it pushes back up to the trail surface especially during the freeze thaw cycles.

bear, we plan on corduroying the "mushy spot" as we call them. 'Sandy' left us enough cedar to fix that up we just need to plan some big trail work days.

Nox Trailbuilder
    Kenny, where will you be posting trail work days?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ridenox.com and Ridenox FB page. Going to do some corduroying on south park this Sunday, need to get ok from park management to park by the dam then I will post the work day

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Ridenox.com and Ridenox FB page. Going to do some corduroying on south park this Sunday, need to get ok from park management to park by the dam then I will post the work day
    also on VMB's website... Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club 's pay to play website. Events are open to the public

fish
    Oct 2012
    I needed a break from the technical trails since I experienced an OTB accident on NFS at Moonlake, so my bd mtnbiker64 and I rode Nocamixon sunday. It is one of my favorite single track trails and so worth the drive from Hazleton. The trails were a little slick in areas, but it was a great ride. Did the northside twice and the soutside once. Woohoo ! Tons of fun. Thanks again to the trail maintainence crew. A job well done.....LUVE LOVE RIDE°!!!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!