Thread: Any CCW's?

Rock on Wesley Willis RIP

Any CCW's?

Do any of you carry a firearm while cycling? I always do.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why would you? I personally never had a squirrel start anything with me... I do have my ccw but haven't found the need on a bike

Rock on Wesley Willis RIP
    I wouldn't worry too much about squirrels, usually they're pretty harmless critters. I feel at risk of attack by mountain lions, goats, bears, ******* humans, and leopards. Just better to have it and not need it. Kind of like wearing a helmet. You hope you never need it but would never be without it. It's a safety precaution I chose to utilize. Just wondering if anyone else does the same.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Is this question not ridiculous to anyone else? I mean come on! This came up on a previous post regarding Wissy Weirdnous. Apparently there's a bunch of dudes riding strapped in the Wiss, and I have never heard of anything sillier in my life. Frankly, it's not the young guys with tattoos swimming in "Devil's Pond" that sketch me out; instead it's the ridiculous meat heads riding BOUNCING and JITTERING mountain bikes with guns attached at their hips that really get to me.

Yes, owning a gun is a constitutional right. Yes, people can be sketchy and it's better to be over prepared than under prepared. Yes, I've read stories about crazy things happening in the Wiss. However, perhaps instead of carrying a weapon that can only invoke more problems in the end, why not take some minor precautions that will most likely help you to avoid any kind of possible conflict that could arise. For example, avoid the park at night! That one can't be stressed enough. Second, ride with a group. Safety in numbers. Third, be respectful of those in the park. Respect is received where it is given. That means proper trail courtesies like not flying by people on horses and yielding when necessary. By taking a few minor precautions and putting those into practice, the chances of ever needing a gun become so reduced that it is truly just one more thing to weigh you down.

Seriously, you people on the Wiss carrying a gun truly scare me. I'm not from Philly originally. The last place I lived was out in Colorado, and if I were to tell my buddies out there that people honestly carry guns in their contrived lycra holsters while enjoying their favorite passion, they would roll their eyes and laugh. You people are ridiculous. I wish you would stay off the trails because you are a threat to everyone that uses them. Try not to kill anyone while out for a day on the trails. Thanks

Freshly Fujified

Falling into a trap

Lev, the post is flame bait, IMO. Like you said, this was covered before, and the post reeks of stirring up $hit.

Just my 2 cents and I'll probably stir up more than I intend by even responding at all.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    It would be more practical to carry a sandwich.

You have something to eat when you're done... and if a mountain lion or bear comes up, throw them the sandwich. They'll be happier eating it than you anyway and you can just pedal away.

banned
    Apr 2006
    I often do when riding on my own land. It is a lot easier and much more safe for everyone involved when the need arises to enforce my rules.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like the sandwich Idea... My only concern is what would work better... I personally like pb and J , but have heard that most wildlife would rather go for a good turkey on rye... Damon, it looks like all you need is the rye...

mtbr member
    if you want to carry concealed then thats fine with me. i guess if your gonna carry a concealed weapon you might as well carry it all the time, no point in having a ccw if your not gonna use it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I personally got mine because I love to target shoot at ranges etc... It's a lot easier to travel with them if you have your CCW... I'm not into the whole John Wayne thing and carry it all the time although I have no issues with those who do... To each their own... I don't even care if I'm riding and someone has one although it's scary when you see how different people handle themselves around guns... I grew up a hick kid from Millville Pa and they were as common around the house as a dining room table so I know how to handle them... Many don't and then it brings up the issue of putting others at risk which isn't cool... Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

License to carry

My wife and I both have CCW permits. Both are NRA life members and have been professionaly trained through the NRA. And, like Brian, have both been around guns all our lives. I think it is a personal choice, as Brian said, to each his own. There is a great responsibility which one bestows upon themselves when they choose to carry, as long as they understand that, I'm cool with it.

I crash way too much and am too much of a weight weeny to carry.

I used to do alot of hiking on the AT, and this was always a big issue with hikers also. Again, too much of a weight weeny to carry. And I think with a little common sense, most situations can be avoided.

Ride on, Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes,
    just like AMerican express,
    i never leave home with out it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Is this question not ridiculous to anyone else? I mean come on! This came up on a previous post regarding Wissy Weirdnous. Apparently there's a bunch of dudes riding strapped in the Wiss, and I have never heard of anything sillier in my life. Frankly, it's not the young guys with tattoos swimming in "Devil's Pond" that sketch me out; instead it's the ridiculous meat heads riding BOUNCING and JITTERING mountain bikes with guns attached at their hips that really get to me.

Yes, owning a gun is a constitutional right. Yes, people can be sketchy and it's better to be over prepared than under prepared. Yes, I've read stories about crazy things happening in the Wiss. However, perhaps instead of carrying a weapon that can only invoke more problems in the end, why not take some minor precautions that will most likely help you to avoid any kind of possible conflict that could arise. For example, avoid the park at night! That one can't be stressed enough. Second, ride with a group. Safety in numbers. Third, be respectful of those in the park. Respect is received where it is given. That means proper trail courtesies like not flying by people on horses and yielding when necessary. By taking a few minor precautions and putting those into practice, the chances of ever needing a gun become so reduced that it is truly just one more thing to weigh you down.

Seriously, you people on the Wiss carrying a gun truly scare me. I'm not from Philly originally. The last place I lived was out in Colorado, and if I were to tell my buddies out there that people honestly carry guns in their contrived lycra holsters while enjoying their favorite passion, they would roll their eyes and laugh. You people are ridiculous. I wish you would stay off the trails because you are a threat to everyone that uses them. Try not to kill anyone while out for a day on the trails. Thanks

if you choose not carry a firearm that is your right,
    but unfortunately many of us grew up in philly and we have our reasons to carry.

not everyone you meet on the trails or riding in the city is a honest person.
    its my personal obligation to legally protect my self and ensure my safety.

you approach to alter your routine is typical of the victim mentality.
    why should i have to suffer or change my activities if they are lawful.
    i am not the one doing anything wrong.
    i have a right to ride alone or ride at night.

i personally could care less if some one wants to roll there eyes or laugh at me.

the people who legally carry are not the ones you need to be afraid of, if we ever met on the trails or on the street,you would NEVER no i am packing.
    99% of the people who are legally packing are the most respectful people i know,
    we usually are the first ones to avoid a confrontation...........

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guns... I carry two with me at all times... Wrapped neatly in my riding jersey sleeves... ha ha ha... I just had to say it!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxdirtdevilxxx
    Guns... I carry two with me at all times... Wrapped neatly in my riding jersey sleeves... ha ha ha... I just had to say it!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Oxymoron (Ox - e - more - on) N. a sensless, self contradicting statement. see: "professionaly trained through the NRA"

like brian i grew up in the sticks with 25 or 35 guns in the house (my mother married a nut)

i still have one myself for personal defense, but i've never felt the need to ride with it. but being as slow as i am, i've often wondered if the day might come when i'm just far enough behind that mama bear and her cubbies decide to come out on the trail and then i'm done for.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    ... being as slow as i am, i've often wondered if the day might come when i'm just far enough behind that mama bear and her cubbies decide to come out on the trail and then i'm done for.
    Big sandwich