mtbr member
    Jan 2007

any 29er's being used in PA?? might seem like a silly

question but I would like to hear about any pros/cons of the 29" bikes being used in rooty, rocky PA. The 29er forum and review section is very positive about the use of rigid 29er frames such as the Redline Monocog 29 but I can't tell what type of terrain they are using them on. Does the 29" really smooth out the trail that much? Years ago, (10+) I had rode rigid 26" and remember always being beat up after a ride so I am a little surprised by the praise for these rigid frames.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres a lot of 29'rs being used around state college, although most at least have suspension forks, but theres some hard core single speeders with fully rigid ones around but they are the minority. They definitley roll over rocks roots etc better but the generally longer wheel base does tend to slow them down in the tight twisty stuff. If you didnt enjoy getting banged around on the ol' 26" rigid, you are not gonna enjoy a 29" much more, especially with a body 10 years older, it just doesnt make that much difference. the guys singing their praise are the young "punks" (read here, much stronger than me, im jealous) who seem to really enjoy the abuse.

my church is the woods
    I got a Haro Mary 29er single speed back in January after trying out a buddies Kona Unit 2-9. He just turned 50 yrs old and has no problems on a rigid 29er single speed.

Late last year I was riding a chameleon 26er single speed for a while, 80mm fork on it. That thing DID hurt me.

The Mary I'm riding is great for PA trails. With a rigid fork and 2.3 tires at 22 psi, it works better and steers better than a 26er with an 80mm fork. The cro-mo frame is forgiving. The best part is the big sweet spot in body position. Compared to riding the chameleon, which you'd spin out and lose traction when you stand and rocks would easily stop your front wheel = endo, the 29er can roll right over bigger rocks and I haven't come close to endo- ing on it. You can shift your weight way forward and back without losing traction on climbs.
    Like I said, one of the key things I've found is running low tire pressure. I have yet to get a flat on it and I bang the rims off of rocks that normally should have snakebitten my tubes.

They aren't for everyone however. The guy I bought it from, off the mtbr classifieds, tried the bike once and didn't like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tons of them

It seems they are the fastest growing segment of the bike population in the Laurel Highlands/ Northern WV area. They are perfect for the trails in this area- in my opinion of course.

Mostly seeing singlespeed with or with our suspension, but you see a lot of gearies too. A lot of the local shops are HUGE 29er proponents. Speedgoat, Dirty Harry's, Trek, etc.

I Have been riding an 07 Fisher Ferrous, and its great. I will choose it any day over my 5 inch travel 26er for long XC type rides.

ride one and form you own opinion though.

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    I know a couple guys riding 29 rigid frames in NEPA. They seem to like them a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are a few guys rocking rigid 29ers here in the Lehigh Valley. The Kona Unit 29 is a big one here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

moving in that direction

I've been riding a Redline Monocog 26 rigid for over a year now. I do love it but riding michaux and tussey mountain and seeing some riders on 29ers go up and over a steep rocky climb that I have trouble with, well I'm looking in that direction. In fact I just got a quote from my bike shop for a Redline 29er flight this evening. I may have to get a part time job at fedex ground or ups to buy it though. I may also wait and see what the 2008 bikes are like before committing. I may also move away from the rigid setup and get a little suspension up front. Any suggestions or comments?

Keep on Rockin...

Yes...

Just like suspension, the rougher the terrain, the more useful the large wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Salsa Dos Niner and a Turner Sultan. 3 of the guys I ride with are on 29ers. Get used to seeing them a lot more on the trails now that Specialized and others have started making them.

mtbr member
    From my point of view it seems like 26er have become very rare. Evey group ride I am on it is usually about 75% 29ers. Maybe it is the people I am riding with here in SCE, usually over 30, cause a bias in my sampling.

---
    Jan 2007
    29ers don't magically smooth out the trail but they make it easier to carry speed over roots and rocks. I've had my karate monkey for 10 months now and couldn't be happier. Rigid with fat tires is how I roll. And yeah the majority of guys I ride with in SE PA have big wheels too.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

W.M.A.
    Here in SEPA i am beginning to get a complex with my little wheels... it’s just like I felt in gym class as a kid - everyone else’s is so much bigger… at least with this I can upgrade my equipment, and I plan to, cause size does matter.

This goes for my local group rides as well as the MASS race circuit.

I was kidding about the gym class thing – I swear!

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kizmit10
    There are a few guys rocking rigid 29ers here in the Lehigh Valley. The Kona Unit 29 is a big one here.
    True that. I'm loving my GF Rig. I actually find myself grabbing it more often than my FS for most of the local rides (Jacobsburg, Jordan, etc...). I just dig the simplicity of the SS combined with the different ride characteristics of the 29" wheels. I recently swapped the stock wheels for some AM Classic wheels and it's amazing how much you feel the weight reduction on the wheels! For bigger rides like Blue Marsh, French Creek, and most rides in Jim Thorpe, I do still prefer my FS though.

- Chris

mtbr member
    I dont think that it would be much fun to ride a rigid 29er here in southwestern PA. I rode with a guy that broke one of those Sibex forks up at Laurel Mtn. I do think that a 29er with suspension is nearly ideal for SW PA trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    Get used to seeing them a lot more on the trails now that Specialized and others have started making them.
    I really do not expect Specialized to make that big of a market impact since they lost out on the Fox fork contracts.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tturbotom
    I know a couple guys riding 29 rigid frames in NEPA. They seem to like them a lot.
    [SIZE="2"]And who might that be?

Youv'e never see me so Happy have you Turbo Tom!..... Let ride!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Chronic 1st-timer
    If Pixburgh is in PA, then yep.
    I seen a few around those parts.