mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Another victim of NEPA rocks (flat pedal) can anyone

recommend a flat pedal that has been durable for a heavier rider (230+)?? Currently using Transition Bike Step down platform pedals but running into problems with inner nut working its way loose at the worst times. Past Wellgos (note sure of model #) are still working but the pedal body has been beat to a pulp and are deformed enough to not provide a good base for the foot (current backups). Thanks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Eastern makes some pretty inexpensive stuff that seemed to work well for me, but i'm not quite in your weight class. Used to be, but not now.

Stepping up a bit *cough* in price *cough* stuff like the Straitline look pretty strong to me, but then I've only had mine for five months so the jury is still out. Still, they have no screws nor bolts holding them together so that can't "get undone." They're designed for some pretty major hitting so may be good.

Did I mention they're not cheap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Straitlines and Eastons

Bear,
    I will take another look at the Straitlines. Looked at them before but was leery since it looks like a similar design to the Transitions. Have heard good things bout the Eastons as well.

The Transitions were $60 IIRC but I wouldn't mind double the price (ouch!) if I "knew" they wouldn't strand me out on the trail. Its hard to pedal on just the spindle. BTW, I blame Seven Tubs for the pedal demise - they had held up all year until we started going to the Tubs. Probably will call/email Transition since the pedals are only about 9 months old - weekend use only so the pedals didn't last well at all. Thanks,

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Look up the email of the people at Straitline, I've had a bunch of conversations with them and they've been very prompt and helpful. Ask pointed questions, I bet they're happy to give honest assessment. They also have some very cool videos on their blog about pedal maintenance (not much required, and they literally use a rock and a pair of scissors to tear down and rebuild the pedal). Funny stuff.

wounded knee
    I have been using the Tioga Spiders for a while now with no problems, 2 versions of repaceable pins, pointed and flat, not a big pedal, but they are durable and thin.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride Animal plastic BMX pedals. They are strong, cheap and grip really well. It's worth giving them a shot at only $20 or less per pair. I have them on my bmx and mtb. They work.

mtbr member
    I use PrimoPro flats..nice and wide, not too much $$ eaither, about $36.

Also if you're rock bashing alot, by all means grab either those Animal plastics or the Odyssey PC. A neat one Ody just came out with is called the JCPC, plastic with metal pins. I'm thinking about changing to them myself.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, if people can do grinds on them, BMX street and skatepark ride, they are plenty tough. Super light as well. I don't ever plan on spending a lot of money on flat pedals again.

2 wheel drifter
    If you want tough and light try twenty6 products. I've been riding two different sets for three years and had more than a few cringe worthy hits on some nice PA rocks with absolutely no ill effects. They are scratched as hell but no breaks, dents, or lost spikes.

Great customer service too.

mtbr member
    The best pedals for the money are atomlab aircorp pedals. I've been using them for 2 seasons of dh and with my newly lowered DH bike, they smack about 4 times per run. They're still as solid as the day i got them and grip like crazy with the long pins.
    Team _________

Hail Satin!
    I would suggest going to danscomp.com and just looking at the pedals. I use poverty pedals for my bmx, and though I'm only 180#s they've taken countless 6' drops to flat on cement. Without so much as a whimper. But I am thinking of a pair of the plastics one for my CX commuter.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

looks like a few promising options out there..

spoke to Transition today and they are going to take a look at the pedals. Meanwhile, I checked out the Straitlines, Primos and the 26 products. Not sure what I am going to go with at this point. Also looked at the Brooklyn Machine Works shinburgers and the Synchros stainless steel meat hooks. Gotta love the names...Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The Krazy Never Die
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    I use PrimoPro flats..nice and wide, not too much $$ eaither, about $36.

Also if you're rock bashing alot, by all means grab either those Animal plastics or the Odyssey PC. A neat one Ody just came out with is called the JCPC, plastic with metal pins. I'm thinking about changing to them myself.

Ive had nothing but problems with any primo pedal ive ever used. broke spindles on 3 differents sets. not saying there products are bad but there pedals BLOW !
    LIVE FAST - DIE FUN

mtbr member
    I'm not big, but I'm not careful either - lots of concrete skatepark landings to flat, and a fair share of crashes too. I've had _awesome_ luck with the Animal sealed bearing pedals (metal body). Large diameter stainless spindle, comes with spare (sharp!) pins in two different lengths, good stuff. The plastic ones are plenty durable (our 300# mechanic rides them) and way cheaper, but I can't keep my feet from sliding on plastic pedals. Shinguards are key here.

mtbr member
    SunRingle ZuZu Pedals. Utterly Bombproof. I'm 215 and have been using the same pair for over 5 years.