mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Another Tannersville Trail Question...

I just started mtb riding a few weeks ago and really enjoy it. I'm going to be in Tannersville next weekend 19-21 and would like to do some trail riding, now I'm just starting so I don't want to do anything that's difficult. I've been riding 6 Mile Run here in Jersey, so something along those lines will be nice. Now i am not that afraid to try a little more difficult stuff but not yet. Group ride, night ride or whatever, any kind of info would be appreciated. I did read old post from '08, but I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hum?... I'm thinking Big Pocono SP on the rail trail that leads to more tech trails so you can pick or the McDade trail in the Delaware SF. Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro state parks have trails too, old rt 611 is pretty easy but still out in the woods. Check out info on Miller Dixon area, Brady's Lake, and Jacobsburg SP, easier trails. Depending on how much you want to travel, out to Jim Thorpe or Lehigh Valley for more stuff.

Google or search here on mtbr for lotrs of info...
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 04-11-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add icing

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Hum?... I'm thinking Big Pocono SP on the rail trail that leads to more tech trails so you can pick or the McDade trail in the Delaware SF. Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro state parks have trails too, old rt 611 is pretty easy but still out in the woods. Check out info on Miller Dixon area, Brady's Lake, and Jacobsburg SP, easier trails. Depending on how much you want to travel, out to Jim Thorpe or Lehigh Valley for more stuff.

Google or search here on mtbr for lotrs of info...
    The McDade trail is pretty boring. It's basically a gravel path. I ride there fairly often for fitness or just something to do when I don't have the time to drive to somewhere better. Some of the views along the river are nice, but it's not really a fun place to ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    The McDade trail is pretty boring. It's basically a gravel path. I ride there fairly often for fitness or just something to do when I don't have the time to drive to somewhere better. Some of the views along the river are nice, but it's not really a fun place to ride.
    How much of this did you ride? The area I was on wasn't gravel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How much of this did you ride? The area I was on wasn't gravel.
    I've ridden the whole thing, but most often the northern half. You're right, it's not all gravel but it's not singletrack either.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

I was thinking of the Freeman tract section, but ya kinda quad wide roads in lots of areas.

Cat Herder
    State Gamelands 38 is within 10 minutes and has everything from jeep roads to singletrack. Nothing too gnarly. It's adjacent to Camelback Mountain ski area. I've ridden there quite a bit over the years, and quite often two years ago. Last summer I didn't get much time in there, and the one time I was up there, some of the singletrack areas had been biologically modified in terms of cutting many trees and brush down. It's truly a hunting area, so it perhaps had something to do with land management to that motivation.

Some singletrack areas had a good deal of felled trees/branches/sticks/bramble. Keep in mind that there are probably a couple dozen miles of single track up there, however. I'll post some of my GPS tracks when I get a chance. Perhaps some cleanup has occurred since.

MdDade is right down the road from me, and it's a ride I do with my wife, who isn't an avid biker. You can custom pick sections that are fairly easy grade, or sections with some altitude gains, but all of it has a fairly clean built surface of wide gravel or packed dirt. The main draw is the fact that it traces the Delaware River throughout and provides some nice scenery.

Two friends of mine who own an outfitter's shop in DWG (Delaware Water Gap, PA) are doing a Bike 'n Brew on Saturday, in fact, on the McDade. I'm totally not here to plug business, but here's a link to the site with info:

Edge of the woods outfitters, Bike Rentals, Guided tours, and Outdoor Gear in Delaware Water Gap, Pocono Mountains, PA

It's a nice, all-access type event, designed for a cruise and a brew.

I'll try to get some SG38 maps up here. Some nice views up there at 2,000 feet as well.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

Cat Herder
    Here's one from last year:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...fd5870aa235bf8

I'll have to go back in time more for additional. This includes "Three Bridges", which is the first hard right taken from the trailhead. The section includes three small bridges over tiny water rivulets.

There's a marker for "top of the knoll", which is a damn-near 360 degree view of the area. Nice spot.

This track included some of the trail that was hacked up quite a bit.

Cat Herder

Lets ride!
    Aug 2011
    Hey friend, I hear your pain on the Mcdade trail. I live roughly 5 minutes away, just up the mountain on 739 from the Dingmans Ferry Bridge. The ridge line you see looking directly west, actually has much better riding and it's called the knob, unfortuantly the park rangers prohibt riding there. I typically ride it anyways, but have been kicked out once in the past. Sweet fire trails, xc, and some rocky downhill sections there.

As for the mcdade iself, yes the northen half of the trail is typically gravel and boring, but if you go a bit further south it turns into single track and some pretty rooty stuff. Unfortuantly, Sandy knocked down some pretty big trees last year, and the trail section that leads up to the single track has been detached from the northern half. In order to continue riding south towards Bushkill, you eventually have to get on 209 and get on a new trail section. It basically cuts out the fun stuff though lol.
    If you're looking for a riding partner let me know, I'm just getting back into riding and recovering from a back injury so looking to take it slow. How far from mcdade are you?

Also, I have a buddy that lives down near Tannersville, last sumer i rode Big Pocono State Park a few times as well, quite fun and nice views up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I live close to you James, in Wild Acres. Let me know if you ever want to ride the knob or drive somewhere better.

Lets ride!
    Aug 2011
    ninja, that would be great. How cool, I'm like 5-10 minutes from wild acres, I live in Pocono Mountain Lake Forest off of Doolan rd. I'm always looking for riding partners, but it's very limited around here. Let me know what days and time is best! P.m if you want.

mtbr member
    any decent single track close to Tobyhanna? I am there from time to time for work and stay in Scranton, i know there has to be some decent trails with all the state land. if anyone can point me to a location and maps that would be great!!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

I ride this area now and then, I never found a big riding culture, most of the time I never see another mt biker, but not to say there isn't stuff to ride just not documented to well. You'll have to explore a bit, but you will find stuff.

Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro state parks have some trails, old rt 611 is pretty easy but still out in the woods.

Always check mtbr trail reviews first.
    Gouldsboro State Park Pennsylvania Trail Reviews

Brady's Lake I have visited since I was a kid and still fish and mt bike the area. I have never documented the rides cause of the long history I have there I just know where to go, although not a state park is more SGL and surrounded by such that has designated trails. A really nice place with great views of the lake, there is an old railbed and ice spur that lead to paths, but not documented. Exploring is the key, just remember turkey hunting season is till the end of May.

Bradys Lake Pennsylvania Trail Reviews

Look on the state park site for the state park info and maps.
    SGL site
    State Game Lands

SGL 127 MONROE COUNTY

Approximately 5 miles, from a parking area along SR0423 over the Artillery Ridge Road ending at the fenced I-380 right-of-way.

SGL 127 MONROE COUNTY

State Game Lands Service Road approximately 6.8 miles from a gate/parking area along SR 0423 north to a gate/parking area near SR 0507.

SGL 127 MONROE COUNTY

Approximately 6 miles, several interconnected routes beginning at the gate/parking area at Brady's Lake west across the dam to a gate/parking area along Brady's Lake Road. In the event the road across the dam becomes unusable, the Locust Lake trail between the main access road and the railroad grade will be open. The railroad grade is open to a point prior to the Game Lands boundary.

SGL 127 MONROE COUNTY

Approximately 9 miles, several interconnected trails beginning at the gate/parking area at Brady's Lake northeast to two gated/parking areas along the Pennsylvania Game Commission Service Road.

State Parks site
    PA*DCNR*-*Pennsylvania State Parks

A few of my adventures here:

Saturday 6/2/12
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks, i will take a look and see if i can put anything worth while together!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

Always check mtbr trail reviews first.
    It's been 10 years and 13 years respectively since anyone's posted about these trails in the trail review section. Maybe OP wants an update?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    It's been 10 years and 13 years respectively since anyone's posted about these trails in the trail review section. Maybe OP wants an update?
    Hey jonz,

Not my fault the info is old! By the way, not much has "changed" Like I said "I never found a "big riding culture"

jonz, be a good guy and go ride it and post an update would ya?...LOL