mtbr member
    Jan 2003

American Standard Sunday

Just a heads up, if anyone wants to join us....Should be at the upper lot by 10:30.

-Jason

Pretty steady pace, going to stop and clear winter debris if there is any.
    Climbing Builds Character

Rolling on 650b
    Can't make it Sunday, but if you would, please post up the trail conditions. Thinking about heading up there on Tuesday. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    American Standard is Good To Go, Condition wise. We moved maybe 3 trees that were down across the trail, that messed up the line, or were accidents waiting to happen. The only part that was wet, was one 30 yard section on the No Girls part before the first quad trail crossing where a spring was flowing down the trail....Water was 2 inches deep maybe, we soft pedaled it was only about 30 yards long. Other than that it was perfect.

Rolling on 650b
    Super! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Another great spring ride today and summer just around the corner. First time for me on the standard and lived up to everything I've heard mentioned. Rock gardens are evil hahaha. Videos are slowing coming along too.

DSCN0357 by adamkob, on Flickr

64269_10151887070619199_27191636_n by adamkob, on Flickr

DSCN0360 by adamkob, on Flickr

DSCN0359 by adamkob, on Flickr

--Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Forgot one!

American Standard Sunday-americanstandard.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I did AmStd on Sunday as well, riding clockwise starting from the upper lot around 11:00. Sorry we never crossed paths since I was riding solo, and it was like a ghost town up there.

I'll second the great trail conditions: with only a few exceptions (some wet spots, but also dry/scrabbly conditions on that roller coaster section near Broad Run) I thought it was as good as it gets up there.

mtbr member
    Nice post! got to get out there soon..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Ahhh American Standard.....incredible rock gardens....relentless at times....Looks like a great ride....thanks for the post and pictures.....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Anyone have a trail map of AM they can share?
    I haven't ridden there in years but would love to hit it soon.
    Slugs love beer.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Finius, I have a GPS track, I may have a map somewhere, shoot me a PM and I could email what I have to you. Maybe in the morning from home as I plan to be unable to operate my computer when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    Some crappy video and my noob biking skills from the ride Sunday haha.

--Adam

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the video, looks like a fun ride.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Feanor and I were out there Sunday and conditions are really good. There was some minor blow-down which I attribute to the storm that passed through mid-week, but we cleared it out if it was a problem.

Significant water running here and there, like mentioned above, but no real big issue.

The only stinky part was the mud puddles on the double-track over towards the SGL shooting range. Got a couple feet down there and *phew* stinky stuff ... good healthy biomass!

Going to need to hit it more more time this year, sometime on a nicer warm day, and include some bonus mileage on the other side of the highway, just to bring it up to Epic Ride scale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Feanor and I were out there Sunday and conditions are really good. There was some minor blow-down which I attribute to the storm that passed through mid-week, but we cleared it out if it was a problem.

Significant water running here and there, like mentioned above, but no real big issue.

The only stinky part was the mud puddles on the double-track over towards the SGL shooting range. Got a couple feet down there and *phew* stinky stuff ... good healthy biomass!

Going to need to hit it more more time this year, sometime on a nicer warm day, and include some bonus mileage on the other side of the highway, just to bring it up to Epic Ride scale.
    Yeah totally didn't mention the grass mud track over by the range....that is always muddy but Bear is right this time it was exceptionally deep and Stinky! If you never were on the trail when you get to it stay far left that's probably the best way around it.

Bear; I noticed a piece of single track off to the left on the grass muddy trail. Oddly I never notified it before. Do you know where that goes? Maybe half way down the stagnant water grassy area near the range....would be awesome if it linked up down further to the other single track...but like I said I never seen it before

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Depends on which direction you mean "by the left" ... there IS a singletrack that nips off the "grass mud track" - doesn't add much mileage but does loop out away from the range and comes out near the stop sign at the top of the hill ... the warning sign for truckers.

trail addict
    Still looking for a map? Shoot me a PM with your email and I can hook you up with what I have.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Aww man, you missed the best rock section Adam!

mtbr member
    There were more rocks? hahaah

Buck Nasty
    Was up there on 5/16 and conditions were great. Only complaint would be that slight stretch of flooded double track with a smell - mentioned in earlier posts as a spring leading into to it. Stay to the left while riding it, it's easier.

When you get back up to the fire road (about 9.5 -10.5 miles in) make sure to go left off of it when the chance comes up. We made the mistake of staying on the fire road back out to 93 and it sucked b/c it has a long long stretch of new laid railroad rocks for large trucks to drive along. This is the part that goes by the fire tower. It's like 1.5 - 2 miles of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American Standard Sunday-img_1399.jpg  

American Standard Sunday-img_1380.jpg  

American Standard Sunday-img_1388.jpg  

American Standard Sunday-img_1397.jpg  

American Standard Sunday-img_1382.jpg  

American Standard Sunday-img_1425.jpg  

Silky Johnson: "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go home and put some water in Buck Nasty's momma's dish."