mtbr member
    Jun 2005

American Standard Saturday morning???

Anyone want to ride in Jim Thorpe tomorrow? Never been there before. Planning on getting there by 9ish. Looking for a group to ride with. Or someone who knows the trails. Or someone else that doesn't know the trails. Just a live body to ride with. Or a dead one to pull behind my bike, good resistance training. Either way.

Call me at 540-239-1151 anytime tonight or early tomorrow morning. Will be up well after midnight.

Greg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    AS is closed- thanks PA Game Commission

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Actually...we were about to do a ride on Broad Mtn from the 2nd partking lot last Sat when a park ranger came by. He asked what we were doing and we said going for a ride. He said we wouldn't ride until after 1PM since it was a Sat and it was on State Game lands. He said Sun we can do whatever we want and never said anyhing about the mountain being closed to mountain bikers. He was very reasonable and polite. We just went and did a ride from the lake instead.

Just thought I'd share.

BTW...we're going to do a ride in Jim Thorpe on Sun, May 20 if anyone is interested. We're not sure where though. We've recently done the American Std and a few other rides so we're kinda up in the air about what ride to do. We were thinking of either Drake's Creek, but we're currently undecided. We're shooting for 11AM.

- Chris

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpy00Wang
    Actually...we were about to do a ride on Broad Mtn from the 2nd partking lot last Sat when a park ranger came by. He asked what we were doing and we said going for a ride. He said we wouldn't ride until after 1PM since it was a Sat and it was on State Game lands. He said Sun we can do whatever we want and never said anyhing about the mountain being closed to mountain bikers. He was very reasonable and polite. We just went and did a ride from the lake instead.

Just thought I'd share.

BTW...we're going to do a ride in Jim Thorpe on Sun, May 20 if anyone is interested. We're not sure where though. We've recently done the American Std and a few other rides so we're kinda up in the air about what ride to do. We were thinking of either Drake's Creek, but we're currently undecided. We're shooting for 11AM.

- Chris

It is spring goobler season...they can hunt until Noon..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had read a few conflicting reports about AS being closed, re-opened, closed again, etc. I went to an LBS Saturday morning, and the very nice lady there explained where I could and could not legally "hike".

Per her directions, I "hiked" down the fire road past the rifle range, instead of doing the first 2 or 3 miles of single track. Oh, and she told me to wait until 1:00 to avoid being blasted by the Elmer Fudds out there.

After getting back out to Rt 93, I continued down the Broad Mt trail, stopping at the overlooks and checking out the waterfall. Believe it or not, I rode all 23 miles without seeing a single person.

I probably won't be hitting that trail again in the near future, as there are plenty of other places in Southeastern PA to abuse myself where I don't need to worry about being ticketed, shot, or otherwise molested.

Great ride though.