mtbr member
    Oct 2008

American standard - Jim Thorpe

A few us are planning on heading down to ride the American Standard trial in Jim Thorpe, but I've seen some postings that it may be closed. What's the latest?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    There's nothing stopping you from riding and enjoying it, even though I think the official word is the trail was closed like ten years ago. I have been riding it 1x or 2x a year since I moved into the region in july '09 without major difficulty.

It IS difficult to make all the correct intersections if you don't have someone knowledgable with you or you don't have good mapping. I have some map data online which is enough for me to keep myself from getting lost. ;^)

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Bear, did you do the entire 25 miles? Have you been there yet this year?
    Slugs love beer.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    Bear, did you do the entire 25 miles? Have you been there yet this year?
    I've ridden the entire section of AS west of 93 this year, twice, counterclockwise.

On one occasion I also rode DP east of 93, also counterclockwise.

The doubletrack on AS near the firing range has major water collection going on last I was there and some spots the water+mud looks about hub deep ... but I try not to find out. The rest was fine (minor deadfall clearing both times, no biggie), with only the one major stream crossing on the southern part of AS giving a little dead-reckoning to the route following effort. I was last there some time in early July.

The portion of DP that goes from the powerline west towards 93, before connecting up with the pipeline to the major rock garden was very low travelled. Still not too bad to follow, but very grown-in and "webby." I almost think hitting the rock garden makes it worth while though, and it's certainly better than retracing earlier trail. Someone else out there may know more singletrack that is in there that hasn't been, er, broadened.

One day I'm following the trail off AS down into Nesquehoning. Not sure I'll make it back up though. That was in severely inviting shape when I was last at that intersection.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Thanks man.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    There's nothing stopping you from riding and enjoying it, even though I think the official word is the trail was closed like ten years ago. I have been riding it 1x or 2x a year since I moved into the region in july '09 without major difficulty.

It IS difficult to make all the correct intersections if you don't have someone knowledgable with you or you don't have good mapping. I have some map data online which is enough for me to keep myself from getting lost. ;^)
    Some buddies and I would love to ride there on Labor Day. I've posted on the Jim Thorpe Mountain Bikers FB page but have yet to get a reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

map and directions

My brother and I did it this May for the first time, using the attached and made out well. We did not get lost at all. He also had the trail map on an app on his iphone that we cross-referenced when we needed confirmation at certain points, but we really did not need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American standard - Jim Thorpe-directions.jpg  

American standard - Jim Thorpe-map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ^^ I followed that map this weekend and mile 1.5-1.8 really kicked my ass. I'm not used to all those rocks.. Definitely wasn't ready for that. When I got to the double track, I went up to the dirt road and went back to the parking lot, I was spent!

mtbr member
    Anyone still going out on Labor Day in the AM?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJinx View Post
    ^^ I followed that map this weekend and mile 1.5-1.8 really kicked my ass. I'm not used to all those rocks.. Definitely wasn't ready for that. When I got to the double track, I went up to the dirt road and went back to the parking lot, I was spent!
    Yeah that rocky section is brutal, and it discouraged my brother. We pressed on and it is not all like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJinx View Post
    You did the right thing!
    I don't get all the hype.
    I've done it twice and it's just a lot of work with not much payback.
    Maybe when it was more traveled, I rode it back in 2003.
    I followed the same map posted above, if you don't have a good map you will get lost.
    I kept thinking we took a wrong turn because it was just brutal
    I'm not worthy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It is hunting season so just be aware there will most likely be hunters in the woods.