mtbr member
    Mar 2008

American Standard Extension

Hello , fellow PA riders. I am looking for someone to tell me where the what I will call the 2nd part of the American Standard is. I know where it starts at the end of the old highway at the top of the mountain. You ride thru the rock gardens, make the right at the urinal, etc. Then towards the end you pop out on a fire road and you can ride that all the way out to the 2nd parking lot, but somewhere along that last fire road there is a LEFT hand turn back onto some single trakc and it adds a few miles to the trail and some sweet Baby Head rock gardens. I rode the extension once about 5 or 6 years ago and don't quite remeber where it is. HELP!!!

Thanks, Keep the Rubber Side Down

Andy

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Hopefully JTT will chime in with some direction.

Sorry I won't be able to make the ride. It will be a good time.

- Chris

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I thought the trail was closed. At least last I checked on Blue Mountains website it said so. Am I wrong?

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sdarnall237
    I thought the trail was closed. At least last I checked on Blue Mountains website it said so. Am I wrong?
    B'ah... Not the topic at hand. As far as I'm concerned it's fair game on Sundays, but to each their own.

- Chris

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    I have ridden the American Standard a handful of times, but can't accurately tell you by typing how to navigate your way around.

If you can find a copy of the book "Mountain Biking Pa" you will see that there is a trail map and written directions for the American Standard among other Jim Thorpe Trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    trail has sections that are not on SGL, and sections that are so 'legal' status is questionable. Best to check with jttrails but he is likely defending his national title this weekend so may not be available to answer.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by tturbotom
    I have ridden the American Standard a handful of times, but can't accurately tell you by typing how to navigate your way around.

If you can find a copy of the book "Mountain Biking Pa" you will see that there is a trail map and written directions for the American Standard among other Jim Thorpe Trails.
    +1. A lot of the ride descriptions in that book are less than perfect, but the one for Am. Std is pretty good.

To the OP - the section of trail you're looking for is great, but also hard to find/follow on even the best of days. That said, it's not too far along after you hit the fire/jeep road. IIRC, there is a small pulloff or 'parking' spot on the opposite side of the road just before the trail comes in on your left. It's pretty rocky right off the bat, and may even be a little overgrown. Like tturbotom said, it's hard for me to describe it from memory, but if you keep your eyes peeled and keep looking closely on the left, you should find it. There used to be some white blazes painted on the rocks to help you find your way.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

I'm back with some answers, sort of...

Ok, no jersey this year, racing in the open SS class at Mt. Snow with a hurt knee wasn't the smartest thing I've done. Anyway, the good old AM. Std. questions. First off, yes the trail is technically closed to bikes, except possibly on Sundays. And yes it does cross through SGL land and Kovatch private land, on the southwest edge. The trails that the OP is asking about are really fun and not too bad to find, of course they are have the same legal status as the rest and are all on SGL land. The babyhead section runs from the last corner of the firetower access road near 93, back west along the SGL boundry line, follow the white blazes, they are the SGL boundry marks. We call this section "No Girls Allowed", because the two expert women MTB riders that we have ridden it with hated it, they seem to have less tolerance for non-stop rocks. From there is continues to run west going up and down the side of the hill, eventually meeting up with the fireroad again, but from this end it is harder to find. Coming from Am. Std look for a rocky singletrack off to the left of the fireroad after about 2 miles? There is another really nice singletrack that runs between the fireroad and this one too. Even harder to describe. Just take a GPS and poke around, hiking of course, or scouting game with your hunting license.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member

If you were....

Passing thru JT from New Mexico.... What would you ride? I will be heading to JT this Fri and Sat... On Sat, plan on doing all the trails on Broad Mtn and ending via Jean's Run.. Lookign for something on Fri afternoon, was coincidently thinking of American St over to Deer Path.. but then again, thought about the trails that run along the ridges on both sides of Mauch Chunk Lake... Starting on Flagstaff and crossing the valley somewhere past the wildlife refuge over to the brutal climb near the powerlines.. (been years since I have been over to this area).. Anyways, I have heard through the grapevine some of these trails have been 'impacted' by ATVs.. Any recommendations on what you would ride if you were in my shoes? Gracias, Hugo

mtbr member

PM sent

PM sent.

mtbr member

JT is like fine barley wine

Better with Age... Thanks for the offer to hook up w us last weekend Lath.. I didnt bring my PC on vacation so I missed your PM... Must say, trails were better than ever and appear to be hardly ridden .... We only saw one group of riders over the course of 2 days and based on the amount of deadfall and overgrown trails, I am going to surmise the SG issue is even keeping the hardcore riders away... I was pleasantly reminded how tough some of the rock-ledge lines can be on the network of trails accross from the lake...our 'secret trail' is now marked by pink ribbon so its not so secret anymore but back in the 80s there were only a handful of riders whom knew about this twisty path that puts together a nice loop without havign to ride coal slag fire road... its in great shape...

mtbr member
    Do they ticket you if you get caught there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They can ticket and/or confiscate your bike. Ive never actually heard if happen, but it is their option to do so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    anyone up for a friday am ride? looking to ride something other than AS. need local to show 3 advanced riders around. we ride all rocks...etc..

mtbr member

Afternoon maybe

I've got work in the am, 10:00 conference call. I could get out later in the afternoon if you are interested. Drop me an email jttrails@hotmail.com