mtbr member
    Nov 2004

american standard at dusk

I had planned on starting in light and finishing in the dark. It didn't go according to plan. It was very wet and tight single track. Ended up doing a little over 8 miles. Got 2 flats and had only I patch. Tried duct tape but it didn't hold in the wet riding. Will post the only 2 pics I took in a bit. Forgot to put the memory card back in the camera and battery on cell was drained. Figured I'd save the cell for an emergency. Already a lot of shooting at the range guess I'll have to be better prepared next time.

Reminds me of my own funny story about American Standard:

A few years ago a buddy of mine and I rode AS after work. It was the first time I'd ridden it in 7-8 years, and I forgot to bring a my map. No lights either, as it was mid June and it wouldn't be a problem to be out before dark.

My memory served me well for awhile, but about 10 miles in I got completely screwed up at one of the gameland road crossings, and we went well off track. Day turned into dusk turned into dark. Then a close encounter with a black bear ensued. As things got hopeless, and we began to think about setting up some kind of camp for the night, he and I dug around in our packs and it turned out that I had my Magicshine light but no battery, and he had his Magicshine battery (that hadn't been charged lately) but no light.

Equipped with one half-charged light, but still hopelessly turned around, we rode more or less in circles for some time, before finally I got my bearings and we pedaled out to RT93....a little before midnight, and minutes before a torrential thunderstorm.... Good times!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

american standard at dusk

not sure if this will work with the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails american standard at dusk-20120919_165808.jpg  

american standard at dusk-20120919_165811.jpg  

american standard at dusk-20120919_170316.jpg  

mtbr member

American Standard.....always delivers....

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    A few years ago a buddy of mine and I rode AS after work. It was the first time I'd ridden it in 7-8 years, and I forgot to bring a my map. No lights either, as it was mid June and it wouldn't be a problem to be out before dark.

My memory served me well for awhile, but about 10 miles in I got completely screwed up at one of the gameland road crossings, and we went well off track. Day turned into dusk turned into dark. Then a close encounter with a black bear ensued. As things got hopeless, and we began to think about setting up some kind of camp for the night, he and I dug around in our packs and it turned out that I had my Magicshine light but no battery, and he had his Magicshine battery (that hadn't been charged lately) but no light.

Equipped with one half-charged light, but still hopelessly turned around, we rode more or less in circles for some time, before finally I got my bearings and we pedaled out to RT93....a little before midnight, and minutes before a torrential thunderstorm.... Good times!
    ....an adventure.....Jonz...you guys were lucky to get out of the woods that night....good you kept your wits about you....American Standard is one of those trails where something always seems to happen ....or should i say go wrong.....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........