m2k
    mtbr member

American Standard conditions?

planning to ride there on Saturday. Anyone ride it after all this rain? Is it washed out like everything else in eastern PA???

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by m2k
    planning to ride there on Saturday. Anyone ride it after all this rain? Is it washed out like everything else in eastern PA???
    I don't know if it's washed out, but it's illegal.

Poach at your own risk, eh?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

m2k
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I don't know if it's washed out, but it's illegal.

Poach at your own risk, eh?

Illegal? I know, I know. But it brings up an interesting scenario if Bush gets another 4 years:

Bush = favored by NRA voters.
    American Standard = "illegal" mainly due to hunters.

Enter the new Extreme B on his Trek...
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Hmmmm.

eci
    Have you guys ridden american standard lately? i am going to be back in pa in sept and wanna hit it up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Have you guys ridden american standard lately? i am going to be back in pa in sept and wanna hit it up
    I would love to ride it but see Sticks post above, "It's illegal" !!!!!! Don't go, there are other good trails up there to ride, maybe not the same, but legal.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm...

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by SueB
    I would love to ride it but see Sticks post above, "It's illegal" !!!!!! Don't go, there are other good trails up there to ride, maybe not the same, but legal.
    yeah yeah yeah i know its ELEGAL but im still going to ride it. if i get busted oh well i'll pay the fine. I highly doubt that they will bust me. Also the week im going to be back east there is no hunting going on so i wont be p!ss!ng off any hunters.

m2k
    mtbr member
    American Standard ILLEGAL? Are you serious?

I thought you guys were joking. It was "illegal" last year, too. I just don't go in the woods during "spring gobbler" season, which runs through May, and I never have any problems after that. You're not supposed to jaywalk either or rip the warning tags off mattresses...

Seriously, is there some type of ranger gestapo roaming the woods? I mean, I don't litter and I respect the trails. Why should I follow some goofy regulations designed to appease the politically-connected hunters? It's not like I'm some piece of trash going back there on my quad to shoot my .22, down a six pack, and leave the cans all over the place. I just want to ride - they can catch me if they can. This land is your land, this land is my land. You know?

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    American Standard ILLEGAL? Are you serious?

I thought you guys were joking. It was "illegal" last year, too. I just don't go in the woods during "spring gobbler" season, which runs through May, and I never have any problems after that. You're not supposed to jaywalk either or rip the warning tags off mattresses...

Seriously, is there some type of ranger gestapo roaming the woods? I mean, I don't litter and I respect the trails. Why should I follow some goofy regulations designed to appease the politically-connected hunters? It's not like I'm some piece of trash going back there on my quad to shoot my .22, down a six pack, and leave the cans all over the place. I just want to ride - they can catch me if they can. This land is your land, this land is my land. You know?
    Yes, riding on any PA State Gamelands is illegal. You can go across the road and ride the broad mountain loop. The double track is open to bikes, but all the singletrack is closed.

Rules are rules. You say you respect the trails, and I trust you do. However, when you disobey the rules, how do you expect the politically connected hunters to trust you? It's just more ammo for them to keep us off the trails. One step forward, 5 steps back. If we're ever to win back the right to ride there legally and openly again, shouldn't we show them we're not just a bunch of punk kids who destroy everything we touch? It's always the few who ruin it for the majority.

m2k
    mtbr member
    Well, sorry you feel that way, but while you're pedalling down a fire road this weekend, passing kids on training wheels and dreaming of the day when the good ol' boys in Harrisburg do a complete 180 and share their land with us non gun-toting types, I'll be enjoying one of the best trails in Eastern PA. The few ruin it for the majority? Well said, which is EXACTLY why I'm not going be a part of the majority and let them ruin it for ME.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

American Standard

m2k, please give a post ride report if you get to ride American Standard on Saturday. I'm heading out there at the end of the month and I would really like to ride it while I'm there...

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by bacolmm
    m2k, please give a post ride report if you get to ride American Standard on Saturday. I'm heading out there at the end of the month and I would really like to ride it while I'm there...
    OK, here's your report:

It starts off great. Fast twisty singletrack, loamy in spots. Then it gets rocky, followed by long stretches of double-track/access road completely mucked-up and under a few feet of water. Then it's more rocks, some fun descending, more rocks, more mud, big rocks, some technical climbing, mud, rocks, rocks, singletrack, mud, rocks jeep road, rocks rocks rocks rocks, a boring stretch of 93...done. (unless you cross over the road and ride more stuff that you shouldn't.

(No, I haven't ridden it lately, but it's not all that difficult to predict if you know what the trail is like)

This thread sucks. If you guys are going to ride there, just go do it...DISCRETELY! Advertising the fact that you're planning to ride a closed trail on a public message board is STUPID.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    OK, here's your report:

It starts off great. Fast twisty singletrack, loamy in spots. Then it gets rocky, followed by long stretches of double-track/access road completely mucked-up and under a few feet of water. Then it's more rocks, some fun descending, more rocks, more mud, big rocks, some technical climbing, mud, rocks, rocks, singletrack, mud, rocks jeep road, rocks rocks rocks rocks, a boring stretch of 93...done. (unless you cross over the road and ride more stuff that you shouldn't.

(No, I haven't ridden it lately, but it's not all that difficult to predict if you know what the trail is like)

This thread sucks. If you guys are going to ride there, just go do it...DISCRETELY! Advertising the fact that you're planning to ride a closed trail on a public message board is STUPID.

You hit the nail on the head.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by bacolmm
    park in the parking lot up 93 from thorpe, Get ready, head back twoards thorp on 93 right theres a little lot on your left go into it and jump on the single track. First part of single track is super super fun nice and mellow no steep climbs. Dumps you out on the first section of fire road with lots of ruts and mud pits. follow it to the end ~250 yards, at the big tree go left on another fire road just ahead go right onto some more nice singletrack. Follow this single track down to a nice little river cros over the river to a nice rock garden.
    this part is pretty fun and flowy. After this i forget the rest of the trail other than its totally fun. Some great downhills and a nice long climb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    just understand that is they want to, they can take your bike, fine you, and leave you out there to walk back- and in the meantime you screw the rest of us who are trying to make a case that mtb should be legal out there....thanks for the help

m2k
    mtbr member

Ok...ok...

Well what about Twin Peaks or Mt. Pisgah?
    How do these compare to Standard?
    The lady at Blue Mt. Sports says a lot of riders who like Standard ride Twin Peaks...

Inbred Homebrewer
    The lady at Blue Mt. Sports says a lot of riders who like Standard ride Twin Peaks...
    Twin Peaks is a good ride. Not as much fun as American Std, IMO, but a good ride nonetheless. Not as technically difficult. There's also a trail called Psycho Betty on Flagstaff Mountain that's short but sweet...one of the best descents in J.T. Worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure the stuff on Flagstaff is still open.

tlg
    Twin peaks is decent depending on how you ride it. I've yet to ride the A.S. so I can't really compare it. Just rode twin peaks this past weekend.
    Some pics of it here: Jim Thorpe Ride Pics

The first part of Twin Peaks is the Mauch Chunk ridge. 1/2 way through, you can come down the side of the mountain, or if you ride to the end of the fireline you can come down the power line. Both are a pretty good downhill. Then you continue to the switchback trail. Nothing special here. 3mi railroad grade to a pretty great overlook. From there you can ride down a pretty hellish road filled with rocks into J.T.

tlg
    Twin Peaks is a good ride. Not as much fun as American Std, IMO, but a good ride nonetheless. Not as technically difficult. There's also a trail called Psycho Betty on Flagstaff Mountain that's short but sweet...one of the best descents in J.T. Worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure the stuff on Flagstaff is still open.
    Flagstaff should still be open. Only the game lands on Borad Mtn are closed.

I beleive Psycho Betty can be combined with Twin Peaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

American Standard

Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    Flagstaff should still be open. Only the game lands on Borad Mtn are closed.

I beleive Psycho Betty can be combined with Twin Peaks.
    I've ridden American Standard twice and really don't see what all the hype is about. Yes, its demanding, but it also doesn't have any flowing sections. How about the last section heading back. Its a nasty rock garden that doesn't let up! I enjoy techncial riding, but this is doesn't offer any high speed corners or rhythm sections at all.

Twin Peaks is OK, yes there is a good down hill section that puts you in the rail trail. Psycho Betty can be linked into Twin Peaks. Psycho Betty is the better part of the ride and worth checking out.

I keep thinking there has to be better trails around there. Anyone?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    but this is doesn't offer any high speed corners or rhythm sections at all.
    Sure it does...the first couple miles are nice twisty singletrack. A bit tight between the trees at times, but fast and fun nevertheless. And the descent leading to the urinal and beyond is great. It's not smooth by any means, but you can definitely get crankin' in the big ring, hit the twists and turns and catch some air off of the downed logs and roots before diving into the next corner.

It may be a lot of work for such a short payoff, but it's just one of those trails... You either love it, or you don't. I think that 2 or 3 mile section between the jeep road and 93 (the non-stop rock garden) is one of my favorite parts of the whole trail. Challenging? Absolutely. But it beats the hell out of riding the jeep road out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Twin Peaks

Flagstaff is open to riding and there is more up there than you think- go to the top, park near the nightclub, and then the trailhead is directly across from the club- climb to the water tower and hang a left- this is the top of Psycho Betty. You will get to a 5-way intersection, go left, then right and you can take either trail (the one to the righ has a short loose rocky downhill and meets up with the other trail option) This takes you down a fire road across thie ridge which then puts you into some rocky-fun enduro trails. Follow those all the way to the end, which will put you onto a red-clay fire road on the top of the ridge. Go about a half mile and look for a pile of rocks on the right (easy to miss) This leads to a rocky-downhill section called bob's option which is lots of fun, but is pretty rutted out because of all the rain this year. When you get to the bottom, you will be on the swochback railroad. Turn right and go through Mauch Chunk lake park.

Cross the road by the parking lot, and then turn left. From here, you have two options-

1---continue straight up the mountain (about 4-5 miles of mindless rail grade) into the town, turn left on the first street, go 2 (or 3) blocks and turn right in-between the cemetart- when the cemetary on the left ends, look directly behind the stone wall and there is a small trailhead. This puts you into a network of legal enduro-type trails that are everything from fast and swooopy, to tight and technical- in my opinion, better than A.S. You can ride back there for days, and check out the old strip mines for some interesting riding. When you get tired, go back towards the ridge, and enjoy the downhill they all lung-buster. That puts you back onto the rial-grade, which you can cruise back out to the end, pick up flagstaff road, and climb back to your car.

2---When you get between the two stone walls- hang a hard right and ride to the top of the rial-grade to the lookout. From here, you can make a hard left and go up into the enduro trails mentioned in option one, or go down the first short rocky descent, hang a hard left, and then contninue towards wagon road which is a rock-strewn wagon return road from the railroad operaion- watch your speed on wagon road because crashing here can really ruin your day (I have seen more than one broken bone up there)

Check with the folks at Blue Mtn Sports- they can give better directions than mine, but yes, there is plenty more than just A.S and Broad Mountain up there that is still leagal....and if you are near the Lehigh Valley, look me up and I will show you some good trails..... dankilling@bikevmb.com

m2k
    mtbr member
    Thought about the alternatives, but consensus was to do Standard. Perfect weather Saturday morning. Not many puddles outside of that Jeep trail. No game wardens - just some scraped-up knuckles from the trees in the tight begining. I remember how much I hated this trail when I tried it on a hardtail a few years back. No, there aren't any killer downhills, but seeing how far you can push it that last mile before you're back out on the road is the best. Still vibrating from all those rock gardens. I'm gonna try some of the other trails in the near future, but this is just a great trail to spend 3-4 hours on.

PS - one thing we did learn... they may have great components for the price, but watch out for Jamis. One of the riders broke his swingarm at the weld - 6 miles into A.S.

tlg

Couple corrections

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Go about a half mile and look for a pile of rocks on the right (easy to miss) This leads to a rocky-downhill section called bob's option which is lots of fun, but is pretty rutted out because of all the rain this year. When you get to the bottom, you will be on the swochback railroad. Turn right and go through Mauch Chunk lake park.
    When you take "bob's option", it dumps you out on the switchback below Mauch Chunk lake. If you turn right you will not go through the lake park and will continue into Jim Thorpe. You need to turn left to get to the park.

1---continue straight up the mountain (about 4-5 miles of mindless rail grade) into the town, turn left on the first street, go 2 (or 3) blocks and turn right in-between the cemetart- when the cemetary on the left ends, look directly behind the stone wall and there is a small trailhead. This puts you into a network of legal enduro-type trails that are everything from fast and swooopy, to tight and technical- in my opinion, better than A.S. You can ride back there for days, and check out the old strip mines for some interesting riding. When you get tired, go back towards the ridge, and enjoy the downhill they all lung-buster. That puts you back onto the rial-grade, which you can cruise back out to the end, pick up flagstaff road, and climb back to your car.
    After "bob's option" dumps you onto the switchback, and turn right, continue downhill, not uphill into town. Not sure about the rest of your direction since I've never rode that.

Cross the road by the parking lot, and then turn left. From here, you have two options-

2---When you get between the two stone walls- hang a hard right and ride to the top of the rial-grade to the lookout. From here, you can make a hard left and go up into the enduro trails mentioned in option one, or go down the first short rocky descent, hang a hard left, and then contninue towards wagon road which is a rock-strewn wagon return road from the railroad operaion- watch your speed on wagon road because crashing here can really ruin your day (I have seen more than one broken bone up there)
    After "bob's option" dumps you onto the switchback, if you turn left it's a mile or two to the lake park, then these directions are correct. (From the stone walls to the lookout is 3 miles.)

my church is the woods

JT still rocks!

I rode saturday and sunday around JT. Stayed at the JT camping resort (only cause they allow dogs) sat night. The directions that Dan gave from the cemetery in Summit Hill are by far the best trails around JT.
    I used to ride AS and the rest of broad mtn. trails, but not anymore. AS is fun a few times, but it has little flow. Deer path I ands II are fun too.
    But since I started riding the ridge from Summit Hill to Pisgah, it is hands down some of the best east coast singletrack I've ever ridden. Better than anything on broad mtn. Singletrack heaven! It is partly enduro MX trails, lots bigger small car size rocks in places on the ridge, great views, short ups and downs, twisty, technical, with a few 4 wheeler roads connecting the singletrack. It was my 5th time riding this ridge, (i've heard it called the rim trail?) and I finally figured out how to make my way across the whole thing to the top of Pisgah. Before this, I would always end up going down some very steep dh to the rail trail. Saturday I did the whole rim trail solo rom Summit Hill to Pisgah, then rode back to the campground. Sunday I got dropped at the cemetery in Summit Hill, and about 3-4 miles into it I came crashing down on some rocks, jamming two fingers and breaking a pinky finger. Luckily, I was not far from a DH back to the rail trail. I hung on to the bars good enough to get down and back to the lake where I went for a swim and then off to JT's for some beers and portabella burgers.

BTW: there is one shop in JT called the Looking Glass cafe that totally sucks! the only place to get coffee drinks at 8am sunday morning, I went in there to get 2 mocha latte's for my wife and me. after waiting 20 minutes to get them,(one other customer in the place) I left with my drinks. took a sip of it....blah. tasted like watered down milk with a hint of chocolate. no coffee, no espresso, wtf? so I go back in to either get them to make a more satisfying one or get my $5.25 back. The waitress says I'll have to talk to the owner, but the owner won't come out of from the back. I stood there 30 minutes at the counter and listened to the "owner" in the back ***** about me and how I am an idiot, and that I don't know what real espresso is and blah, blah, blah, She never did come out, I ended up finally leaving them sit on the counter and leaving in disgust. I've even eaten at this place before and had good food ( two hours to get breakfast though)....never again will I go in there.

anyway, juat wanted to pass that word about this great trail and bad cafe.