fuji4me
    Sep 2008

American Standard closed?

According to bikejimthorpe.com American Standard is closed?? B.S or true??

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I believe it's been closed for several years now.

Yeah, it is officially an illegal trail.

It is a non sanctioned Pennsylvania State Game Land trail that also crosses over into private property. IIRC, it has been 'closed' since 2003 or 04. But, if you happen to stumble upon it by "accident" like I often have - DO NOT RIDE IT DURING HUNTING SEASON.
    Last edited by jonz; 10-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Good question. I've been riding the toilet trail for years and never had a problem. Didn't notice any signs when I rode it in August.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've never gotten in trouble riding on it in the past two years but DO NOT ride on any day except Sunday during hunting season or you'll be doubly F'd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

American Standard closed/

About the only legally open trail on the Broad is the loop. Most of the others have been closed for several years now, although I don't think signs were ever posted. Right now especially on Saturdays it might be wise to stay away, unless you don't mind being shot at. Way too many out of staters that don't care what they shoot at. Hope no one takes offense. Just my opinion. As for riding I know the so called illegal trails have been ridden on so take it for what it is worth. Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    From what I've seen the rangers sorta turn a blind eye to people riding on those closed trails. But that is different from riding up there on hunting days. You do that and aside from asking to get shot at, you'll be harming the local mountain biker reputation, and in an area where it seems that trails are closing more than opening, that doesn't really help the situation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    From what I've seen the rangers sorta turn a blind eye to people riding on those closed trails. But that is different from riding up there on hunting days. You do that and aside from asking to get shot at, you'll be harming the local mountain biker reputation, and in an area where it seems that trails are closing more than opening, that doesn't really help the situation.
    Just an FYI - there are a few local hunter/trappers that call the rangers if they see MTB'ers out there.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Much of that trail is on private land. From what I heard, and it is from someone who definitely knows this, people are welcome to use this land as long as they do it in a respectful way. There are even signs posted to this effect. They say "Hunters and general public welcome" or something like that.

The problem for mtn bikers is that the two trailheads and maybe 1-2 miles in are on the State Game Lands. That part is definitely not legal to ride.

Perhaps some of the trail could be rerouted to be off of the SGL and more legal. I had some discussion about this , but it din't go anywhere.

In general, Sundays are the only days you should be anywhere near that place as someone who isn't hunting, IMHO!
    Last edited by Guitarswheelies; 10-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.