mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Amazing Vegan Rob!

I had the pleasure to meet Rob Lichtenwalner, one of the best endurance athletes of this country, a few weeks ago. I was racing at the Hibernia Short Track race of the MASS series when I met him. I was done racing and I was just hanging out looking at the other racers, and then I saw him. I recognized him from magazine articles and pictures from other races. I introduce myslef and we talked for a little bit, as he cheered his wife Sara, which happened to be racing at the time. What is so amazing is that Rob told me that it took him about 4 hours to get there, becasue he RODE HIS CANNONDALE MOUNTAIN BIKE ...YES...NOT ROAD BIKE...BUT MOUNTAIN BIKE , FROM BETHELHEM PA, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO HIBERNIA PARK, OUTSIDE OF COATSVILLE PA . The most impressive thing is that he managed to finish fourth place, competing against guys like Ryan Leech and Kyle Hammaker. The race was 30 minutes of pure fun. I'll tell you what man, another 23.5 hours and Rob would've had them on the bag!!

Now broadcasting from CO

ummm yeah ...

Rob is my hero... needless to say he is a machine. He rode from his house to the Bear Creek race last Sept... and proceeded to get 2nd. That race kicked my a$$ very very hard. It's fun to watch Rob during the MASS endurance events... he doesn't even look tired after 6 hrs of racing and I'm completly worked... I wish I could ride like that...

Rob @ Bear Creek:

Rob @ Hibernia:
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I second (third) that...
    Not only an amazing talent but an all-around nice guy.

Rob is the kind of guy who if you are watching him race and say "nice job," he will always get out a "thanks" not matter how tired/out of breath he is...
    (I dont think he ever actually tires though)

I remember my second race ever, I got first in beginner and when I finished Rob (already an Expert) came up to me and said "nice job, man." He was all fired-up because I have a Straightedge tatoo as well. I must admit I am no longer straightedge but I'm still a vegeterian and the hardcore scene inspired me to teach ethics, which I know do at two colleges. Anyway, great all-around guy. Sarah is also very nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Saw Rob and Sarah on the trail today- they were riding Sals on their tandem, and Rob was psyched that they cleaned the switchbacks on that thing! Right now, Rob is also ranked 2nd nationally for ultra-endurance in the USCF, and was recently upgraded to full pro status. Lets just say he literally shared a pit crew with Tinker Juarez at his last race. Rob is also the nicest guy you will meet on a race course, or anywhere for that matter. And to think, just a few short years ago he was one of the craziest freeriders in the LV area

Now broadcasting from CO
    Rob was a freerider... I didn't know that. Kudos to him... he's got bigger balls than I... not that I already didn't know that.
    Brought to you by rocks.