Thread: Am I crazy?

Paper Mill Aleworks

Am I crazy?

I've been thinking about heading out to Raystown/Allegrippis next weekend (Dec. 4th-5th), and all the research I have done for this time of year seems to say "not a good idea".
    I have been out there in the Spring and Summer, but never so close to Winter...and more importantly, prime deer hunting!
    Does anyone have experience with riding out there this time of year?
    I've ridden plenty of other state game land during hunting season, donning as much orange as possible, and never had any issues. Wasn't sure if Raystown got especially busy, or if incidences have occurred there in the past.

Was also going to try out 4Seasons campground as well, as I believe they are the only place with year-round tent camping.
    Has anyone stayed there before? Ya or Nay?

Thanks
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I can't speak to the camping, but the riding should be great.

I *do* think there is hunting in the area of the trails though, so Sat may be a bad idea though. ;^(

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Saturday just wear orange- you are legally allowed to ride while hunting is going on there, it's shared use and honestly I wouldn't hunt there knowing how many bikers show up on the weekend. Sunday you're good to go.

I was there about 2 weeks ago (on a Sunday) and trail conditions were fine.

Then again... doesn't deer season really ramp up the week or so after Christmas?

Also, if anyone *****es you out about riding, if anything you're probably helping them by scattering the animals about.

I dunno, the times I've gone deer hunting, we were out and waiting before the faintest glimmer of sun was out. Like 4am. I dunno what the point of hunting during the day would be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Saturday just wear orange- you are legally allowed to ride while hunting is going on there, it's shared use and honestly I wouldn't hunt there knowing how many bikers show up on the weekend. Sunday you're good to go.

I was there about 2 weeks ago (on a Sunday) and trail conditions were fine.

Then again... doesn't deer season really ramp up the week or so after Christmas?

Also, if anyone *****es you out about riding, if anything you're probably helping them by scattering the animals about.

I dunno, the times I've gone deer hunting, we were out and waiting before the faintest glimmer of sun was out. Like 4am. I dunno what the point of hunting during the day would be.
    Prime time deer (buck) season with rifles "ramps up" the Monday after Thanksgiving for something like two weeks. My advice would be to ride Sundays or middle of the day/middle of the week with blaze orange to minimize the risk. I've lived most of my life directly next door to state game lands near Allentown, PA and can tell you from experience that you'd probably be better off minimizing run-ins with some of those guys.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Thanks for all the info/advice, I think I'll try and make it a Sunday ride, just to be on the safe side.
    It all seems very common sense, but I wanted to get some first hand experience.
    I'd love to go mid-week, but coming from the Allentown area...it's not a real short trip.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd been "poaching" MTB rides mid-day even though it was hunting season ... but to me bow-hunting is a lot less dangerous to me than rifle-hunting season could be.