Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Allowing Hunting On Sundays

As was posted in the Governor's Advisory Council thread, PA is seriously considering allowing hunting on Sundays because the number of hunting permits being issued is dwindling.

Hunters are a very real safety concern to bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts. In addition to the danger of firing projectile weapons there is also the frequent conflict from hunters who claim other users are scaring the game - despite the fact that most other users stay to the trails.

You can contact the Governor's Commission at 717-772-3292 and read the article at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/news/res...gcomments.aspx

HOWEVER, these people are working on fixing the hunting decline not worrying about the rest of us.

You can voice your opinion to your legislators easily by email from the following link
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

Below is a letter I sent to my legislators in which I suggest parking permits so the hunters can't say they are the only ones who pay extra (above the taxes we all pay) for the resources.

--------------

I am writing to voice my opposition to the repeal of the "Blue Law" which prohibits hunting on Sunday as well as make a suggestion as to how to offset the decline in revenues from the dwindling number of hunting permits being issued.

State Parks, Forests and Game Lands are not just used by hunters. These are valuable resources used by a variety of outdoor enthusiasts including hikers, bicyclists, equestrians, boaters, swimmers, picnickers and ATVers.

We have already seen a number of State Parks open to hunting in recent years. These were areas where traditionally hunting was not permitted and hikers/bikers/equestrians/ATVers/swimmers/picnickers did not have to worry about the safety of sharing the outdoor resources with hunters.

Even with the opening of the State Parks, families and individuals who were concerned with the safety of sharing the resources with hunters could always opt to use the resources on Sunday. In that way all outdoor enthusiasts could share the woods, streams, rivers and lakes safely.

The repeal of the Blue Law favors one group of enthusiasts over all the others. Hunter already have access to the resources six out of seven day including the prime weekend day - Saturday. I understand that hunters are a large and powerful lobbying group and that they pay additional fees to use the resources in the form of hunting permits. However, State Parks, Forests, and Game Lands are supported in part by all taxpayers not just those who hunt.

My suggestion is to issue parking permits to use parking areas in State Forests and Game Lands - similar in concept to having boaters pay to use public boat launches. In this way hikers, bikers, equestrians, ATVers, and picnickers can contribute financially - as the hunters do - for the use of these resources without having to relinquish the one day of the week where other outdoor enthusiasts can use the resources safely and without conflict from hunters.

Hunters who already pay an additional fee for permits could post a copy of them in their cars or receive a parking permit with their hunting license so that they are not paying additional fees.

In this way we can all safely share the outdoors and the costs to maintain them.

Thank you

mtbr member
    I spoke to the local house rep and she stated that this wasnt slated to be brought up on the house floor for a vote. just an FYI.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    At the moment, the Sunday Hunting issue is still being discussed.

I emailed the PA IMBA rep and he said there is another measure more likely to be put on the floor for a vote.

Rep Staback wants to give the power to decide the issue to the PA Game Commission. We can guess how they will vote.

Surprisingly in his newsletter on the subject he states that the recent study did not conclusively prove that Sunday hunting would help or hurt the state of license sales.

If your interested you can tell him what you think about giving the power to decide to a govt body that represents the hunters not all outdoor users by going to
    http://www.pahouse.com/Staback/Sunday-Hunting.asp

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Upset

Maybe to shore up the loss of license revenue, mt bikers should purchase hunting licenses to keep Sundays open to bike, even though we can't ride there anyways....

madman:

LOL!

ganginwood
    relax...this ain't even close to being passed.

i emailed one of the commissioners from the pgc when i saw this post. he's a personal friend. he'd be one of the seven commissioners voting on the issue. fwiw these are the highest ranking officials in the game commission. here's the reply......

"Not even on the radar screen now. As long as the PA Farm Bureau is against it Representative Staback will not bring it to a vote. It is a legislative issue."

i suggest pulling back the cavalry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    As a mountain biker and a hunter, I am in favor of Sunday hunting. You can bike all year long. Day and night if you want. Hunting is limited to a few short months in the fall. There are plenty of parks that are closed to hunting that can be biked for those few months in the fall.

ganginwood
    murdering deer and bear might be limited to the fall, but if you look hard enough on the game commission calendar, you can pretty much find something to knock off 24/7 365.

i particularly enjoy the fact that i can pop a cap in a groundhog's ass all year long
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    murdering deer and bear might be limited to the fall, but if you look hard enough on the game commission calendar, you can pretty much find something to knock off 24/7 365.

i particularly enjoy the fact that i can pop a cap in a groundhog's ass all year long
    Exactly- Hunting is just as year-round as any other activity, so the idea that 'its only a few months' is crap. Actually, the entire structure of the PGC is crap- it should be an actual publicly-regulated office like any other state agency, not an appointed post that is not answerable to the legislature. But thats another discussion entirely.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner44
    As a mountain biker and a hunter, I am in favor of Sunday hunting. You can bike all year long. Day and night if you want. Hunting is limited to a few short months in the fall. There are plenty of parks that are closed to hunting that can be biked for those few months in the fall.
    "YOU" can't ride all year?

How about XC skiing the same trails in the winter as we ride with MTB's?

So, why isn't there a conflict on how XC skiing and hunting overlap and ya never here of XC skiers/hunters arguing.

I think the state should be smart and do as they do with fishing making a stamp for different seasons. Let ya all hunt on Sundays but make it 500 dollars to do so. Ahh there that will fill the depleted coffers.

Truth is hunting is declining and other outdoor sports are gaining. Maybe the hunters need a shot in the arm like hunt with a jeep or truck class just as singlespeed and 29ers shored up the declining MTB market a few years back.

Braaaaapppp...

HopHeads, Unite!
    Dude, "hunt with a jeep or truck class" has been around longer than me. I remember roadhunters when I was a kid.

The best was seeing a bunch of turkey hunters road hunting in Tioga county. "We drove 50-some miles today and didn't see one turkey!" no kidding. pure genius.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Exactly- Hunting is just as year-round as any other activity, so the idea that 'its only a few months' is crap. Actually, the entire structure of the PGC is crap- it should be an actual publicly-regulated office like any other state agency, not an appointed post that is not answerable to the legislature. But thats another discussion entirely.

the deer and bear firearm seasons are only a couple weeks out of the year and thats when most hunters are in the woods.

Just a lerker at heart
    May 2008
    I'm a hunter and a biker. I save my vacation for hunting season. I will always feel that there is no need for sunday hunting.

mtbr member
    So, do you only ride your bike on Sunday? I like to ride on Saturdays too, and the occasional Wednesday ride too... So if hunters are out at that time, what the heck difference does it make if they are out on Sundays too?

I have never hunted in my life, but still fail to see what the big deal is if the people that enjoy that activity get to do it another day. What if the government said "You can only ride mountain bikes 6 days out of the week." That sure would suck.

mtbr member
    I mainly MTB in the fall/winter and usually at French, where trails go in and out of hunting permitted areas. In my experience, hunters are friendly towards bikers and if I get a comment (rare) it's usually of the "scare them my way" type.

I always wear a yellow vest though...
    Lance who?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I hunt and now bike, I don't know why we can't "all just get along." The firearm season for deer and bear is really the only time I can see both groups in the woods being a problem, and that is 2 and a half weeks a year. Archery, turkey, and small game hunting shouldn't pose much of a conflict. In fact, any responsible hunter is no danger to anyone, but there are a lot of slobs in hunting, just like any sport.

The only reason I don't like "blue"laws is that they seem to favor the person who can take time off work, or get weekdays off. The work-a-day guy that has two days off a week, Saturday and Sunday loses half their opportunity. My business works mandatory Saturdays when we are busy, anyone who works first shift doesn't get to hunt at all those weeks.

Unfortunately the hunters that bikers run into are liable to be the lazy guy who doesn't want to go too far into the woods. Generally a guy that is going to leave his truck or camp an hour and a half before daylight and hike somewhere to hunt, isn't going to be drunk, or reckless. You certainly won't bike by where I hunt, I can barely walk there!

I work with several people who hunt, and still don't want to see the blue laws go away. I think they are anachronistic, and PA is one of the few states that holds onto them.
    CHAZ

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Sunday Hunting

This is total crap. The reason the number of licensesis dwindling is that there are less deer to shoot each year. Maybe if the amount of out of state licenses was kept to a minimum there would be more deer to shoot. I gave up hunting a long time ago because I saw it was getting out of hand. Most of my friends hunt and they are getting sick of it as well. If Sunday hunting was to pass I would not stop riding the areas I ride. If someone shoots at me they better be ready for the consequences, in whatever form they occur. How can a hunter shoot a little spike buck that barely weighs 100 pounds? What a joke?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Gee, I hope I don't incur your obviously formidable consequences, but all of PA has a three point minimum (on one side) for buck. Much of the state is 4 points on one side. CHAZ

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Nothing of what you say applies to Pa Six Pack Laws

stumpjumper2008
    I don't usually ride on Sundays so I don't really have much of an opinion. I have ridden on Saturdays during hunting season and I never really had a bad encounter with a hunter. I have a long sleeve, orange riding jersey and the few hunters I encountered were usually pretty friendly.

PA has some of the weirdest freaking laws, though, and I can't see this one changing anytime soon. I have a few friends that deer hunt after T-giving and they seem to like the idea that you can't hunt on Sunday. One tells his wife he can't go in the woods on Sunday so he has to leave on Sat morning so he can get his tree stand up.

They piss Sat. night and Sunday away doing other things

mtbr member
    I am a hunter before i am a mountain biker and i have o say that i really hope they make it legal to hunt sundays, i am in college so saturdays and sundays are the 0nly time off i have to hunt so i really hope it gets chaged

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I hope every mtn biker rides with the biggest and ugliest sounding bell on their bike whenever you are trying to hunt.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 64mtnbiker
    I hope every mtn biker rides with the biggest and ugliest sounding bell on their bike whenever you are trying to hunt.
    Wow. I must've accidentally stumbled into the kindergarten forum....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess you must have. Did you ever think that some people only get the chance to ride on the weekend? A good part of the biking population works during the week, as you go to school. So if hunting is allowed on the weekends how are they supposed to ride? I'm sorry you have school but put the shoe on the other foot and think of the other people involved.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Personal view:

I always thought the "QUAD RIDING, BEER DRINK'IN, NASCAR SHIRT WEAR'IN, GUN TOTING, MANIAC" riding around was a much better option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brraaaaappp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    As a hunter and rider, I've gotta say that I don't think its necessary to have Sunday's open for hunting.

If they are gonna give Sunday's to hunter than they should give Friday evenings to everyone else, because most hunters only hunt in the morning anyways.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast