mtbr member
    Apr 2010

... and if we just ... Allow myself to introduce...myself!

Hello from a noob in Lewisburg!

I rode a bit back in the day (~92-99) and since then my biking has been relegated to commuting to work (2-4 miles at most).

I currently have an old Schwinn Voyageur road bike that I ride to work. In the past my mountain bikes were a mid-90's GT, a Mt. Shasta after the GT was stolen, and also a nice old Bianchi-- a bike that I really miss.

Moved here from California almost 2 years ago now, and just recently started thinking about MTB'ing again. My family is a group of walkers, and we walk everywhere. I do sit for most of my work week, and do not get much intense athletic activity and running is just too hard on my knees. So I thought, "hey let's start riding again", and when I realized that RB Winter and Geisinger both have trails within 30 minutes of me, I became excited. I have also discovered there is at least one small trail loop here in Lewisburg too.

My goal for getting back into this is twofold- mental and physical health! Physically to get back into shape, but mentally because with a reduced athletic activity level since I moved here I really feel the neglect from all the positive mental benefits of doing something outside that is athletic and taxing.

Of course, camaraderie, social, etc are all good too, but those are gravy on the meat and potatoes.

So now all I have to do is get myself into a bike. My budget is small (~$200) as I am a Youth minister with two small children, and a third due any day

My thoughts are to try and track down a nice hardtail from the era when I used to ride (early to late 90's); I figure my dollar will go farther that way-- better components, frame, wheelset, etc. than a $200 entry level bike. That is the goal anyway. I have been scouring craigslist for about 2-3 months now without much luck. If you guys have any leads, I'd be appreciative.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and hope to see some of you on the trails in the near future (I will probably be the one on the side of the trail huffing and puffing!), and share a craft (or home) brew with you too!

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its a bit of a hike, but the Velo-swap is on this Saturday in Trexlertown (lvvelo.org) You might score something there if your haggling skills are good. Good luck!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Welcome back, always makes me happier to see people coming back to a hobby they once enjoyed. Cycling on Dirt in particular.

You might call around to some of the bike shops in the region and ask if they have anything on "consignment" or if they know a connection to help you out. I know that Around Town Bikes in Wilkes-Barre (irregularly) has used bikes for sale that way.

In the mean time, if you want to sample riding you may post-up when you see people talking about going out and ask if someone would have a loaner bike to borrow for the ride, maybe in trade from some nice tasty beverage after the ride for example. :P

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I am taking a group of teens from the church on a mission trip for the weekend, so that is out. Too bad, because it seems like my type of event!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Bear.

Two great ideas to explore- see if local shops have consignment bikes, or...

Also, nice idea on someone maybe having a "loaner" for a day. I think I need to increase my mileage a little before I go that route, because my stamina right now is flatlined!

Thanks!

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    i donít know the quality/quantity of used bikes they have but nestorís is also having a used bike sale on may 15th and 16th

http://www.nestors.com
    Nestor's
    2510 MacArthur Road
    Whitehall, PA 18052
    610-433-6051

Did you ever have ham?
    I know that Cedar Bike in Scranton has a few used rides for sale.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the leads!

mtbr member
    Kevin,
    Fancy seeing you here too haha. One of these days we will have to hit the trails and then have a few homebrews!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    LOL Too funny! Yes, we will definitely have to do that! And it looks like I have a line on a bike to boot, so that will make hitting the trails a bit easier

mtbr member
    Nice, what kind?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As long as it fits me, looks like a Gary Fisher Sugar 2+!

mtbr member
    Nice man! Hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well a few major developments:

Thanks to theu quality people of this board/area/sport I am the proud owner of a Gary Fisher Sugar 2+!

My wife delivered 5 weeks ago and our family is blessed with another baby boy!

My wife is completely supporting me taking up riding again.

I became unemployed on Thursday... But we are people of faith and trust that this is but another step on our journey in faith.

Add all of those things up though and you have a noon in Need to ride!!!

Rb Winter or Geisinger are the closet to me, so if anyone feels like helping me to get reacquainted with a mtb after many years, as well as intro PA riding to me, I would welcome it!

The Krazy Never Die
    if your interested i can take you to geisinger. im currently learning rb winter myself so that might take a little while. However Im still having a few rear tire issues with the bike and i now need a new tube... ( cant patch this one ) and im having trouble finding a tube this big.
    LIVE FAST - DIE FUN

Blue Pig
    What tire size? Should be printed on the sidewall.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

The Krazy Never Die
    2.50 i got it fixed its not fixed right but its holding air. the bead on the tires looking pretty questionable. i have to talk to the guy at the shop i just got the bike a week ago and the tube burst today just sitting there i had made a repair to the tube but were it burst was no were near were the repair was made
    LIVE FAST - DIE FUN

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the offer!

I appreciate the invite, and will definitely take you up on the offer. That said, my wife had been wanting to take a day trip to visit family to get out of town recently, and now with time on our hands it looks like we will be doing that sometime this week for a couple nights. She has family in NYC and her grandfather is there now for a visit, so we will prob be heading there so he can meet his new great grandson.

Once I know that schedule, I will be in touch and hopefully we can find a time sooner rather than later to get out, and maybe with more than the two of us!

I literally have no idea how long/hard/fast I can go, but will give it a go as best I can!

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Kevin,
    Congrats on the Baby! good for you.

I was at Geisinger on Sat for a great ride. I don't get out too often(hope to change that soon) but next time we are going out I will get a hold of you.

Jason

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Jason,

Thanks, and sounds like a good plan. Definitely get a hold of me.
    -Kevin

Wanted: 102bcd 4 bolt (M960) SS chainring in 32t or 34t variety