Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Allegrippis / Raystown: which bike should I bring?

7K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  Rock Garden 
#1 ·
Which would be more suited to the Allegrippis trails?

26" FS bike (Nomad)

or

29er hardtail (Banshee w/ a big fork and big tires)

thanks.

#36 ·
NICE! That's what we're looking for. The trails we ride the majority of the time are mostly technical, rocky and rooty with a lot of climbing. Fast and flowing is what we're craving!

#37 ·
You will not be disappointed. :)

If FLOW is what you crave, may I suggest (from the parking area):

Buck>Allie>Grippis>Ridge>Rays Revenge>Sidewinder>Left on Osprey>Hydro Loop counter clockwise -- which is perhaps the ultimate flow, with some climb at the end. Clockwise is fun too, but a bit less flowy since you're doing a gradual climb up the good flow section if you go CCW.

Getting back up from the bench at Hydro, we generally take Eagle>Sleek Dog (if you have legs and want a workout) or Switch (if not).

THEN

Easiest: Doe>Buck>Parking

OR

If you don't mind some climb in exchange for more flowy fun: Fawn>Buck

Allegrippis Trails (Raystown) with parking off Baker's Hollow Rd. - Blown up. - The-Ancient-One's Photos | SmugMug

Then, there is the South Side:Allegrippis Trails (Raystown) with parking off Baker's Hollow Rd. - Blown up. - The-Ancient-One's Photos | SmugMug

Others suggested routes?

ps... to fully enjoy all the kickers, you are advised to bring a seatbelt -- and possibly a parachute. ;)

#54 ·
You will not be disappointed. :)

If FLOW is what you crave, may I suggest (from the parking area):

Buck>Allie>Grippis>Ridge>Rays Revenge>Sidewinder>Left on Osprey>Hydro Loop counter clockwise -- which is perhaps the ultimate flow, with some climb at the end. Clockwise is fun too, but a bit less flowy since you're doing a gradual climb up the good flow section if you go CCW.

Easiest: Doe>Buck>Parking

OR

If you don't mind some climb in exchange for more flowy fun: Fawn>Buck

ps... to fully enjoy all the kickers, you are advised to bring a seatbelt -- and possibly a parachute. ;)
Thanks again to all who gave their input. This was indeed a fantastic route with awesome flow. Especially Rays Revenge and Hydro. We loved it! My buddy and I got 33 miles in total on Sat and Sun and we're going back in a few weeks for more. This place is absolutely fantastic. All this time I didn't realize it was only 3 hours from my house. This place lives up to the hype!

#38 ·
I agree with most of what dcelento said, with the exception of which why to ride Hydro...

Myself and everyone I've taken out actually prefers riding it clockwise. (start on the left after coming down Osprey..)

If you ride it CCW, you end up doing a lot more climbing. CW you get a much better downhill rip, and the climb back up to Eagle is much easier and flowier.

Ymmv.

#39 ·
jcaino makes a good point about the climb at the end of Hydro when running it CCW.

I initially rode Hydro clockwise, as jcaino suggest, religiously. Loved it. Then, I heard the tip about riding it CCW and I don't think I'll ever go back to CW. For me, the climb at the end of the CCW ride is the worth the ear-splitting flow-inspired grins for the first 3/4 of the trail!

Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. RIDE IT BOTH WAYS! :)

#41 ·
Hydro - CCW. CW doesn't even compare.
Rays Revenge - CW to get the most out of the downhills heading out from the overlook. CCW for more gradual downhill riding from Sidewinder, but the climbs at the end of the loop to get to the overlook blow.
Sleek Dog - CCW. CW results in more climbing (it's not a full loop trail).
Allegheny - CCW by a hair over CW. Don't ride it much to get a real good feel as it's a jungle from June-August.

Plan on riding Raystown this weekend before the leaves start littering up the trails. Should be dry and fast!

#43 ·
I did the 2hr 40min drive this morning for my first ride At Allegrippis/ Raystown. HOLY **** this place is fast. Great ride , very well planed out and maintained. And thanks to everyone for the trail suggestions. I did .... Buck, Allie, Ridge, Rays (loved it), sidewinder, hydro (ccw) , Eagle, Switch, and Doe. 15 miles total, can't wait to go back.

#44 ·
I'm surprised that folks don't talk up the south loops more. I had a day to explore the North and another day in the South, and they both were a blast. South seemed techier in places, and the climbs out of the valley on Dark Hollow were killer. Both are worth exploring, and I can't wait to make another trip.

#46 ·
I can't wait for this weekend! I'm driving up separately from a friend and was told to meet at the Susquehannock trailhead, is that the same as the parking area off of Bakers Hollow Road? Thanks for assistance

#56 ·
The red Celica convertible? No, but we were parked right across from them and figured that was what they had going on when we saw the entire lower dashboard assembly hanging off!

#59 ·
Yep, and a really big project is about to start soon near me in Johnstown! And besides all the stuff that is mentioned or advertised....there are a ton of super secret singletracks that not many people know about....whether they're old logging trails, or enduro tracks, they're awesome, and so old that they're still in excellent shape. But Rock on PA! and keep on turning those cranks.

#66 ·
Honestly, that's a little more bike than you'll need here. A lot of the guys I ride with tend to favor rigid or HT bikes out here (with the occasional Fat Front, which has seen a surge in popularity).

There are rentals available at Rothrock Outfitter in Huntington, which is pretty close to the trails. If you absolutely must ride the DH bike, chances are you'll still have fun because there aren't any really long, extended climbs or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.