Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?

Was kicking around the idea with a buddy of mine about trying to organize a group ride at Allegrippis trails to see if we could get any type of interest.

Haven't really gone much further than discussing it post ride last weekend. At the very least it would be cool to meet some of the other local folks who are enjoying these awesome trails and perhaps find a few new riding buddies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Where are these trails at?

Chilling out

I usually go out there once a year and haven't been yet so I could be interested. Would need a copilot though (live about 2 hrs away), I'll ask around once a date is set.

For those few who don't know, these trails are at Raystown Lake near Huntingdon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I usually go out there once a year and haven't been yet so I could be interested. Would need a copilot though (live about 2 hrs away), I'll ask around once a date is set.

For those few who don't know, these trails are at Raystown Lake near Huntingdon.
    Thanks!! I'm pretty new to the area so idk alot of trails around here. I'd be interested in doing a group ride sometime.

mtbr member
    I ride these trails a couple times a week since they are only about a half hour from my house, so I could certainly put together a fun ride.

These trails were designed in collaboration with the IMBA and purpose built for mountain biking. No long climbs or descents, just buttery smooth flowing trails. They remind me of a giant pump track with all the rollers and berms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be interested. Another somewhat local here (State College). Raystown is a great network of trails. Nice alternative to Rothrock. Would be nice to meet some other riders too!

trail addict
    I may be interested and might let Bear ride with me. Depends on how it fits in with family obligations.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I guess the next logical step would be to narrow down a date. It only seems fair to let the folks driving the furthest get first dibs.

I have kids too but like I said, these trails are right up the road from my house so I'm pretty flexible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Let see if I can resurrect this thread. I going to try and make my first trip out to Allegrippis this weekend. I should be there somewhere around 11:00-11:30am. looking if anyone will be around for me to tag along with,I would say I'm a intermediate rider, good for 10-15 miles, ride a 29er hardtail. I am a clyde so can roll with the best of you, however when we climb I may have to meet you at the top. Anyway if anyone is interested, just let me know. If not ,no big deal I have a map and im sure I can find my way.

mtbr member
    What day are you going?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    What day are you going?
    Ooops.... Saturday

mtbr member
    Son of a gun! I have plans to take the daughter to the NMBA Take a Kid MTBing Day at Shavers Creek on Saturday. As of right now, it is a no go for her, due to unacceptable behavior...but as any other dad out there knows, we'll be going anyway. Otherwise, I'd be all in for a day at Allegrippis.

mtbr member
    You could kill two bird and just come to Grippis for their "Take a Kid MTBing Day."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did the 2hr 40min drive this morning for my first ride At Allegrippis/ Raystown. HOLY **** this place is fast. Great ride , very well planed out and maintained. And thanks to everyone for the trail suggestions. I did .... Buck, Allie, Ridge, Rays (loved it), sidewinder, hydro (ccw) , Eagle, Switch, and Doe. 15 miles total, can't wait to go back.

mtbr member
    So 4 or 5 others plus myself are hitting Allegrippis on Sunday 10/6 saving that the weather forecast holds true and the rain is late evening that day. Haven't set a meet time, currently but will know that in a day or two. I'm guessing, as normal it would be somewhere between 10 and 11. All others are encouraged to join.

mtbr member
    Where coming from?

mtbr member
    Philipsburg, State College and Williamsport.

mtbr member
    A few may be camping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Bunch of us, at least 5 coming from Johnstown Area Sunday Morning....Going to try to be there by 10ish.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    That's awesome. A nice change of pace from some of the trails you might be used to riding up there at Rothrock.

My wife just "asked" if I could ride Sunday instead of Saturday so I'll be out there for a ride sometime mid-morning myself.

mtbr member
    I was actually replying to BlackMoBomb on that Rothrock comment and didn't even see your reply until I posted Vack.

Have either of you guys ever ridden Gripps?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Yes we have, a few times, but not so often that I don't have to stop and look at a map here and there at intersecting Trails. Usually once a season I try to get there.

mtbr member
    No, onegearaddict, I haven't. I plan on being there around 10 whether I am solo or with the group. My wife was just asking , at lunch, if I could go Saturday so she can do a big road rode out in Lehigh Valley on Sunday! I said, "Lock the kids in basement, cause I'm going to Allegrippis!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am headed there from NJ for the first time with 2 friends this weekend. Any must do trails? I like the sounds of fast and flowing trails :-)

mtbr member
    Well I'll be there Sunday around 10 if anyone wants to hook up for a ride or try to organize a last minute group ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey guys, keep in mind that Raystown is under the US Army Corp of Engineers direction, and that they're a Federal entity. Now, they get to roll budget from year-to-year, which is allowing them to stay open during the gov't shutdown. As of now, they're going to be open, but re-evaluating their budget week-to-week, so that status may change.

From their site:

Area Army Corps parks to remain open temporarily during shutdown > Baltimore District > News Releases

While I'm sure even if they "close" you can still ride, just be aware that you'll likely run into problems if anyone in your party needs rescue, medical assistance, etc.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We will prob. hit the trails earlier on Sunday as we are going to ride than head back to NJ but maybe we could pick a spot to meet. What kind of pace to do you ride? We are all average Joes....

Well I'll be there Sunday around 10 if anyone wants to hook up for a ride or try to organize a last minute group ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Hey guys, keep in mind that Raystown is under the US Army Corp of Engineers direction, and that they're a Federal entity. Now, they get to roll budget from year-to-year, which is allowing them to stay open during the gov't shutdown. As of now, they're going to be open, but re-evaluating their budget week-to-week, so that status may change.

From their site:

Area Army Corps parks to remain open temporarily during shutdown > Baltimore District > News Releases

While I'm sure even if they "close" you can still ride, just be aware that you'll likely run into problems if anyone in your party needs rescue, medical assistance, etc.
    Haven't heard of any issues out there yet, and this weekend is "Take a kid mountain biking day" so I'm assuming there will be adequate support if needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    We will prob. hit the trails earlier on Sunday as we are going to ride than head back to NJ but maybe we could pick a spot to meet. What kind of pace to do you ride? We are all average Joes....
    I usually ride a single speed rigid at Gripps and would guestimate my pace to be around 8-10MPH if you factor in pushing some hills and stopping to feed the squirrels.

mtbr member
    vack and onegear...I'll be there right around 10:00. It's looking like my group is bailing on me and riding Rothrock tomorrow instead. Guess it's solo for me

mtbr member
    I'll be pulling in around 9:30-10 myself. May have some buddies riding with if they can drag their hungover asses out of bed.

So do you guys want to combine groups or just high-five when we pass on the trails?

mtbr member
    I will be there same time...9:30-10. 2013 darker grey F-150 STX and a black RH/white fork/green helmet

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    We'll be there around 10am. Leaving here at 8ish, and it's about an hour and a half ride. If you guys want to get a big ole group ride going, we're cool with that. We just like to ride so whatever. We will have two vehicles because Rob and Adam will be heading back east and I'll be headed back to J-Town. So a White F-150 Lariat 4 door, and a White Subaru Legacy. Will be a Lynskey, a Salsa, and a Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hey where you guys parking?

mtbr member
    I was going to park Bakers hollow north but thinking on stony trail to the south loops with maybe a few more in the north loops to finish the day depending on my legs. I'd love to do this as a group, though, being my first time there so I'm open to any of the loops and miles of smiles.

mtbr member

10-6-13 Ride

So what a frakking awesome place Allegrippis is! Rode a small group of 4 today...thanks vack, Rob, and Adam! and sorry for my hoots and hollers...as you know i actually wasn't wrecking just having a blast...particularly that double I managed to pull off!!! WOOHOO!!! For some reason I couldn't get the "hot wire" pic to load. Also we have a pic of MTB Museum quality History and a random guy with the best MTB jersey I've ever seen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?-001.jpg  

Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?-002.jpg  

Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?-005.jpg  

Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?-006.jpg  

Allegrippis Group Ride Anyone?-010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Yes a great ride today, nice to meet ya BlackMoBomber, we'll have to ride again. Raystown was hookin up nice today. I hope the Buffalo dude with the injured elbow fairs out ok. Good times!

mtbr member
    And I forgot to mention my WTF moment of the day...I LEFT MY SHOES AT HOME!! It's great to be part of the MTB community because with the spd 51's from one person and Vack's brother had an extra pair of shoes, I was in business! Thank you, one and all.

Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Yes a great ride today, nice to meet ya BlackMoBomber, we'll have to ride again. Raystown was hookin up nice today. I hope the Buffalo dude with the injured elbow fairs out ok. Good times!
    The Buffalo guy is my buddy's cousin and I was there with them (although I rode earlier than they did on Sunday.) I heard he's okay though.

This was also my first time riding the Grip and it was awesome! Does anyone know how hunting season might impact the riding? I'm stoked to get up there again at least one more time this season.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    In PA there is no Sunday hunting. I would highly recommend wearing 100 sq. in. (10"x10") of blaze orange if you are riding any other day of the week. Right now it's archery season, which should be of minimal concern. Oct. 19th - 26th is Muzzleloader and a special youth/senior(24th-26th) with rifles in use.

mtbr member
    ...and it's nice to hear the Buffalo guy is going to be ok!! From the looks of it he needs armour!

mtbr member
    From my experience the hunters are mostly friendly. As with most situations where different groups of passionate people try to share the woods, there have been a few exceptions. Mostly in the earlier years, before the trails were as established as they are now.

As it is now most hunters know there will be bikers and adjust accordingly. As do the bikers.

mtbr member
    Definitely what one gear said...infact i use my bike to get into some of my hunting spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    The Buffalo guy is my buddy's cousin and I was there with them (although I rode earlier than they did on Sunday.) I heard he's okay though.

This was also my first time riding the Grip and it was awesome! Does anyone know how hunting season might impact the riding? I'm stoked to get up there again at least one more time this season.
    Glad you buddy's cousin is ok Blue....it looked really worse than it was...he just chunked it...he'll live. Infection was his biggest concern....actually if I was him I'd get that big ass bruise on his leg checked before anything....that was nasty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Glad you buddy's cousin is ok Blue....it looked really worse than it was...he just chunked it...he'll live. Infection was his biggest concern....actually if I was him I'd get that big ass bruise on his leg checked before anything....that was nasty.
    Yeah - that's what I was told as well. It's easy to let the speed get out of hand on these trails!

BlackMoBomber - thanks very much for the hunting info
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know they usually do group rides on Wednesdays at 5:30pm.

If anybody is wanting to catch a night ride at Allegrippis, feel free to send me a PM, I'd like to find other people to ride with up there. I also have 3 sets of 2800 lumen lights if anybody's deprived of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Re-resurrecting here. Anyone want to meet up on Saturday and/or Sunday? It'd be my first time there, so would be great to have someone that knows the place... though it looks perfectly mapped and blazed.

Any pace, and distance riders welcome. I'll hang with a yeehaw.

mtbr member
    Ride here pretty much every weekend and might be able to hook up. Where are you coming from?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ride here pretty much every weekend and might be able to hook up. Where are you coming from?
    I am planning on going with a group of 3 if you want to join Sunday evening. You would need a light and I'd recommend enough juice/batteries to keep it running for 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the offers. I'll be coming in on Friday afternoon from Pittsburgh, camping up in Rothrock that night, and planning to do a good ride there on Saturday. Then hit Allegrippis on Sunday during the day, taking off in the evening. If either of those rides work for any of ya'll it would be great if you PM'd me.
    Big thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast