mtbr member

Allegrippis and Cyclocross Bike?

I'm headed out to Raystown for a week at the beginning of August - planning to get at least 4 days of riding in. My go-to bike is a single speed karate monkey and that will certainly be in tow (though maybe with some faster tires than I normally ride in the philly area) but I was thinking about bringing my cross bike for a change of pace.

I'm a fiend for riding the cross bike on singletrack - would probably set it up as a 1x10 to get me a bit more clearance over logs and what not, but it's still not really that much clearance. I haven't been up there before, wondering if the terrain would be amenable to riding the cross bike on one of the days.

Any tips appreciated - thanks
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Depends how fast your going to get going...

...being on CX your pretty far forward and you'll need good brakes. Tires might be a bit narrow to get ya stopped safely. Not saying it can't be done I don't know ya or how you ride so I'm only able to give ya tips on the trails I mean they are pretty smooth and I think

I could ride a CX on it, but would be more fun pumping your way to fun since it is a big downhill pump track, and you wanna get as much speed on the downhills to make the uphills! You can pump and pull to get small air over stuff unweighting along the way to lots o fun! You would prolly have more fun on your KM

I have ridden it at different times with 26erFS and 29er SS rigid and both were a blast!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I could probably ride it on my cross bike, but would definitely prefer riding my 29er. My guess is you'll probably like the Karate Monkey better. Good place for single speedin' too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

psycho cyclo addict
    I've seen CX riders twice out of 3 trips there. Last time one of em had a flat around Sidewinder. You should do fine as long as you have good brakes and keep your speed clamped down a bit on the dips and rougher trails near the overlook (and South side trails which are definitely rougher than the others and even more fun in my view). I'm 195 lb. rider and find that I don't need excessive amounts of speed on the downhills to make the uphills.

I suggest you take the CM out first to get a handle on the trails before hittin it with the CX. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, take the cross bike. I think those trails would be rippin' good fun on one. As the others have stated, make sure you have good brakes. The Allegrippis trails suck you in, you always find yourself going faster than originally intended.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66 View Post
    The Allegrippis trails suck you in, you always find yourself going faster than originally intended.

Dave
    True that, was there last weekend! good times
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys! I'm in the process of getting some mini-V brakes set up on the cross bike that should help give me some more stopping power. I'll definitely ride on the monkey first (and maybe second too...) and try to pick out a good route for the cross bike that avoids some of the harder stuff.

mtbr member
    I ended up taking my old 26er for my brother to try riding instead of the cross bike. But it definitely would have been fun on one.

FWIW I think you'd probably need better brakes than an average factory setup (unless it came from the factory with discs) and fairly strong wheels to really get the most out of it. My bike still has the factory wheels and I'm fairly certain I would have mashed them up pretty good going into some of those rocky patches unless I rode much more conservatively - and what's the fun in that

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea, there's a good reason that my cross bike runs the same wheelset as my 29er...Mavic TN719's laced to XT hubs. They're pretty much bomb-proof. And all of my bikes have discs.

Glad you had a good time!
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.