mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Allegheny National Forest Trails? Warren PA?

Hi,

I know that it's kinda late in the season to ask questions about trails, but it's never too early to plan for the spring/summer. I live in Western NY, and I have biked most of the trails around the area. Last fall I went to Ellicottville, NY and biked the McCarty Hill area. However, I want to spend a weekend in Western PA and check out the trails that PA has to offer. Are there any good trails (intermediate/advanced) in or around the Warren, PA area (within 50 miles)? If so, then I'd love to hear about your experiences on them.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

warren area rides

Allegheny State park between Olean and Jamestown NY has some riding. Sherman NY had some good trails ( some of the stores in Jamestown could probably direct you ). As for Warren Rocky Gap is pretty much your only option. I think Marionville has some trails too. Many are shared with ATV's. There are are not too many other singletrack areas that are known. Any other areas, you'd have to have a local show you and I doubt there are too many from that area still riding and read this webpage (dial up is still pretty prevailant). I left about 8 years ago and the scene was dying. There are plenty of fire roads in the ANF but pure singletrack is limited. Just too few riders in the area ( ATV culture).

Quote Originally Posted by bwillsie
    Allegheny State park between Olean and Jamestown NY has some riding. Sherman NY had some good trails ( some of the stores in Jamestown could probably direct you ). As for Warren Rocky Gap is pretty much your only option. I think Marionville has some trails too. Many are shared with ATV's. There are are not too many other singletrack areas that are known. Any other areas, you'd have to have a local show you and I doubt there are too many from that area still riding and read this webpage (dial up is still pretty prevailant). I left about 8 years ago and the scene was dying. There are plenty of fire roads in the ANF but pure singletrack is limited. Just too few riders in the area ( ATV culture).
    Most of the trails at Allegheny SP are closed to MT biking, so stop in at the administration bldg (open year round) at Red House area for a map of legal MT bike trails. The other downer is the $7 (last I checked) park entry fee. There's still enough there for a decent ride.

Also, map can be found at: http://www.wnymba.org/trails.php?trail=4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe if I broaden my search, I will find some trails. So, if anyone has any suggestions/experience regarding mtb trails (intermediate/advanced) within 150 miles of Warren, PA, then I would greatly appreciate the advice. Or, if you have a favorite location in PA or NY that would provide enough biking for a weekend trip, then I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Hermit
    The Allegheny NF recreational use plan screwed mtbrs in a big way - more than any of the other nat'l forests that I'm aware of. But there are still a couple of places that are marked as legal to ride. Check out this site:

http://www.bikeallegheny.org/

Note that the rec plan didn't say where you ARE allowed to ride, just where you're NOT allowed to ride. So if you find a trail, as long as it's not on the banned list (which unfortunately does cover most of the longer trails) you're okay to ride it. Stupidest way to do things that I could possibly imagine.

Also some singletrack down across the Clarion River in Clear Creek State Park (or is it State Forest - not quite clear on that). There's a map to some of the trails here:

http://www.fattirechallenge.com/

It's a bit more than 50 miles, but Moraine State Park, just below I-80, has some friggin' awesome trails.

Steve Z

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

ganginwood
    a little further south than allegheny and just below emporium there seems to be literally hundreds of miles of big woods singletrack. careful where you step....pretty easy to get lost and even easier to step on a rattlesnake. here are some shots of a spring trip that we took out there. from grizfest 2009....there are maps, but it is primitive, tight singletrack.
    hold on for the pics...i have to adjust something

rare sighting of thte dutch eagle...

Last edited by ganginwood; 12-13-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Wow Kev...that is like dying and going to Mountain Bike Heaven!

Wow! I like!!! Kevin... how about some details...

Bodie6 - I grew up 15 miles from Fredonia - you're sort of in MT biking no-mans land, though ganginthewoods post is promising.....

ganginwood
    i was only out there once. the first day was spent in the quehanna wild area and elk state forest.

View Larger Map
    the second day was just south of 80 in the same area. rocky mountain highway i think......but don't quote me on that.
    from what i saw, the sky was the limit for raw singletrack. its worth going out and exploring. your only lost if you care about where you're at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Kevin

Great pictures. I miss warm weather.

Chris

ganginwood
    you're in luck. after digging through my sent items....i found this:

"The Rides: Friday: A ride on the local trails around Parker Dam SP (15-20miles). Sat we leave (via caravan, 30min drive)at a decent hour to ride a 'figure 8' loop in the wonderful and wild Quehanna Wild Area (@ 35-40 miles total). Sunday: Rockton Mountain trail system (@ 18-25miles). Monday: Raystown Lake (35+)
    Our parking area will be a huge lot at the intersection if Wykoff Run Road (State road 2001) and Quehanna Hughway (State Road 1011), on the opposite side of the 'T' intersection, can't miss it. This place is 'out there' but I do recall that the intersection is actually marked with street name signs."

if i recall, oddly enough....there were street signs.
    this will get you to the trailhead. but be prepared to spend some time out there. the rockton trail system was a little easier to follow. some really nice tight deep woods stuff. although, we did park near a road which was sort of a buzzkill.

ganginwood
    its worth noting that those mileages were mostly single track. and we only hit a small area of that place. i'd recommend investing some time there if your close. i would.
    i got stuck at the straub brewery and never saw the parker dam stuff. that was where we stayed though. it was an octagon cabin. the sp would know which one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks like a very nice place to ride, sorry, first time newbie post here hope no one is offended. Thought I'd stop being a lurker!