mtbr member

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....

....Empty Beer started a great thread that can be seen right here: The Abandoned Vehicle Thread

We have passed many an abandoned vehicle while riding.....always wondering how the vehicle got there....there must be a story behind each one......alot of the single tracks we ride today were formally farm , logging, hunting camp roads......now grown in into trails...so some cars get stuck out there....some are stolen cars for sure.....when i was a kid a friend in the neighborhood took his older brothers car and hid it in the woods for us to drive....a Morris Minor....we had fun for about 6 months and then it broke down....well we next used it for target practice....you get the idea.....not much of it left after 30 years.....
    post up a few pics of those in our state....here are a couple :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-017_800x450.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-019_800x450.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-020_800x450.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-025_800x450.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 02-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

chk-chk-boom
    There was a trail called "914" at the El Corte de Madera trail system in Nor-Cal. Called 914 because someone had junked or pushed an old Porsche 914 down the hill from the perimeter road around the trail system. You could ride up the hood, over the roof, and onto the rear hood. I rode it a few times before the park rangers sanitized the trail and removed the car. I think it's been re-routed and re-named.

At the "Water Dog" trail system in the same area, there is a trail where the same thing happened with an old Mini. I don't know how the hell they got it there because it was a tight switchback on singletrack, but it was fun to ride over the roof of that old Mini.

I'm surprised there aren't more junked cars in the Wissahickon or at Belmont.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That white car looks like an early 70's MGB GT.

Rob

Ran across another in same trails area.... didn't take a pic of it though.

'Tis but a scratch

Stewart State Forest - New York

Here are a few of the abandoned vehicles scattered about in SSF. Its not exactly a junk yard. The place is 6700 acres. So, these just make for interest discoveries and they do make you wonder "HUH?" Especially the school bus. That must have been quite a joy ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dsc00884.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dsc00904.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dsc00969.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dsc01082.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dsc08030.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Our area is a haven for thrillbilly trail and yard ornaments!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-imag0217.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Added a few new ones today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dpm-2-23-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dpm-2-23-12-003_900x900.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dpm-2-23-12-004_900x900.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dpm-2-23-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-dpm-2-23-12-006_900x900.jpg  

wounded knee
    Here's a few I had in my archives from a few rides.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    here's one from new york. watch the video,there's a lot of abandoned vehicles in this park[Graham Hills] but the motorcycle is special. WMBA.ORG • View topic - Motorcycle transplant project

mtbr member

Moon Riders will recognize this....

......located just after "Squeezer"....we took these parts off the car in the woods to the right of the trail while we were armoring that section a few years ago.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-177_640x360.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-178_640x360.jpg  

Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-179_640x360.jpg  

mtbr member
    here's another video of the WMBA rescue of a trail marker.
    WMBA Motorcycle Retrieval - YouTube

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

It used to make me wonder when I was younger how stuff became unusable...

...but after going on a snowmobile trip with some guys in upstate NY, I have seen it all. One of our senior fellow riders went off on his own trying to find(what else a bar) ended up getting stuck in a snow drift, no reverse on the sled, and nosed it in good. The brand new that year sled had less than 300 miles on it. He abandoneds it, walks out, and comes back to camp, loads up his truck and leaves. We still at that time don't know whats going on, and tried to get the info from him at that time, he wouldn't talk to us, he was just that pissed.

Later we find out this whole deal, ends up the brand new sled sat there till spring, rusted up, and the NYDEP called him to try to get him to come get it. He refused and said "KEEP IT" I'll get a new one this coming snow season and it "WILL" have "REVERSE"

Bob bought a new sled that September rode it and had no problems, he told me he worked all his life and at that time he was 71 and retired to enjoy his retirement! Couldn't be bothered with aggravations! I said to him "Bob that was a very expensive BEER RUN" He replied "Yep, so what"

mtbr member

Great Story and Excellent Vid....

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    It used to make me wonder when I was younger how stuff became unusable...

...but after going on a snowmobile trip with some guys in upstate NY, I have seen it all. One of our senior fellow riders went off on his own trying to find(what else a bar) ended up getting stuck in a snow drift, no reverse on the sled, and nosed it in good. The brand new that year sled had less than 300 miles on it. He abandoneds it, walks out, and comes back to camp, loads up his truck and leaves. We still at that time don't know whats going on, and tried to get the info from him at that time, he wouldn't talk to us, he was just that pissed.

Later we find out this whole deal, ends up the brand new sled sat there till spring, rusted up, and the NYDEP called him to try to get him to come get it. He refused and said "KEEP IT" I'll get a new one this coming snow season and it "WILL" have "REVERSE"

Bob bought a new sled that September rode it and had no problems, he told me he worked all his life and at that time he was 71 and retired to enjoy his retirement! Couldn't be bothered with aggravations! I said to him "Bob that was a very expensive BEER RUN" He replied "Yep, so what"
    Amazing....brand new snow machine.....great to hear how these things end up out in the woods.....also enjoyed the video showing the dedicated effort of cyclist.....i am wondering if the trail is somehow named after the suzuki trail marker??

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Bob has other vehicles also...

....I guess Bob is a good guy to know just in case he get one stuck somewhere! Ya know to help get it.......... out I mean... LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    i am wondering if the trail is somehow named after the suzuki trail marker??
    Yes,kinda, it's called the Motorcycle trail.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    Yes,kinda, it's called the Motorcycle trail.
    We have a trail at Moon Lake called "Moto" might have to haul one of my rusticals out there someday!... LOL

Funny how stuff gets local legend status, American Standard trail in Jim Thorpe, Pa named after the urinal out there in the middle of nowhere in the woods miles from everything, must have been brought in by snow machine cause as far back as I remember it was before quads existed...

Hubbard, has a really old bicycle leaning on a tree that looks like it was there since the 1960s, hence "Bicycle trail"

Great stories! Thanks

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    ......located just after "Squeezer"....we took these parts off the car in the woods to the right of the trail while we were armoring that section a few years ago.....
    Someone stole the hood ornament off the hood this past month!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

This lawn tractor has a rear end out of a truck...

...someone "had" big plans for this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned Vehicle Thread # 2....-hcga-work-3-13-12-003_900x900.jpg  

wounded knee
    Someone stole the hood ornament off the hood this past month!
    Not cool.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This lawn tractor has a rear end out of a truck...

...someone "had" big plans for this!
    That lawn tractor is called a Panzer, early 1960's. I know this because I happen to have the same model that I restored. It came from the factory with a narrowed Chrysler 8-1/4" Dana rearend. Very collectable. It also looks to be complete.

>

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by sc redneck View Post
    That lawn tractor is called a Panzer, early 1960's. I know this because I happen to have the same model that I restored. It came from the factory with a narrowed Chrysler 8-1/4" Dana rearend. Very collectable. It also looks to be complete.

>
    +1

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

From Stid Hill in the southern Finger Lakes

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

CRUSHED