Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Smile 70 + Degree days in October...Took Advantage..

of this great weather to do some more riding. Lots of leaves coming down now...at some points on the ride today it looked like a snowstorm!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

A few more pictures from todays ride...........

really nice time out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How about disclosing the location of those fine looking trails?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member

Northeast PA! I guess there is quite a bit of terrain...

in that description. Wilkes Barre area, just off I-81, exit 165.

mtbr member
    come on man - that is a pretty lame description. How about an area name, trail head, miles of trail, how easy to navigate trails? Is there anything in the trail data base?

I am going to be up in Wilkes Barre for business in the next few weeks and usually ride Francis Slocum, but would like to check this place out if it is as good as it looks in the pics.

mtbr member

Uh...

He's not being "lame". You would really need to go with someone to find these trails. Why don't you e-mail one of us and we can take you out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    He's not being "lame". You would really need to go with someone to find these trails. Why don't you e-mail one of us and we can take you out for a ride.
    Why wouldn't you just give some trail info and then put in the cavaet that its got some tricky route finding back there with the ride offer. Your boyfriend's response is certainly lame and yours is lame and pompous. The best is that you two ass-clowns don't realize this.

ganginwood

i love this place.

for some reason, the pennsylvania forum is free entertainment for everyone.
    my favorite quote to date is
    "everything about mtbr is cool. when you read the posts from other states and threads you get advice and their is a sense of social interaction amongst peers. then you click on pa and its like looking through a window into a day care center."
    of course they were referring to a specific indivudual but it's all relative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    for some reason, the pennsylvania forum is free entertainment for everyone.
    my favorite quote to date is
    "everything about mtbr is cool. when you read the posts from other states and threads you get advice and their is a sense of social interaction amongst peers. then you click on pa and its like looking through a window into a day care center."
    of course they were referring to a specific indivudual but it's all relative.
    Are you commenting on the people who won't give out info on places to ride when asked or those who call them on their weak ****?

mtbr member

Did you even know what "pompous" means?

You know, everytime I check out these forums there's always a douche bag that has to put people down to make themselves feel better about something. He's not my boyfriend. He's much too old for my tastes.
    Anyway, you're a dick! I hope you enjoy riding Francis Slocum instead of riding our fine trails here.

mtbr member

And another thing...

Ganginwoods, if you notice my post I recommended that this poser e-mail me to ride but instead he acted like a dick. Honestly, you could not give a trail description to find the trails. Not trying to be "pompous". Just giving the reality of things.

ganginwood

agreed

i don't balme you. you offered to guide.

and yes i agree. i ride there quite a bit. he'd have a tough time navigating. if he likes francis slocum (the 2 mile mtb sidewalk of nepa) he'd hate the real stuff in the woods.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Just Ride!

Kevin:

A great place Frances Slocum State park to ride that many peolpe work very hard to improve and we have total approval of the park and staff. Why do you bash Frances Slocum? We just did a TV shoot with Bob Ide from Fox 56 the Great Outdoors with your friends Val Geist, Chris Stine and myself. Hundreds of people who live here in the valley and outside think FS is a pretty cool place! And may I ask, you do know we have sections with many logovers and rock gardens so how does the sidewalk thing come into play? The trails are hardpacked from the dry summer we had but we in no way try to emulate pavement or concrete in our trails building maintenance work.

Please remember you or anyone who has input or ideas are always welcome to attend our workdays we would be glad to have you join us. Frances Slocum State Park has rules to follow and we answer to the ranger and staff. All work we do there is approved thorugh the correct channels.

Com'on Kev we have ridden together and I have no problem with you and I respect what you do and your racing stature that you have accomplished. Congrats on winnig the championship this year, but please our group NEPMTBA is firmly established and we don't appreciate your unkind words about us since we don't bother you in anyway. Kevin please in the future let's work towards expanding our ridieng opportunities and be positive about all we do.

justriding:

As you can see by the pictures everyone is smiling! Jeffskimontana and the great crew of riders have good reasons for not promoting the trails in that area. They are doing you a favor in the fact there are places to which riding mt bikes are not allowed and you would be fined for riding those areas. Jeff isn't the kind of guy looking for a fight or to be a prick. He and the entire Mt. Top crew work on trails everywhere in NEPA and other states always promote great riding and friendship. In fact he and the others are the nicest people you will ever meet, and they have worked very hard to establish trails and maintain them in their area. In Forums thing get out of context. Please email or PM either Jeffskimontana or onegeargood and you will gain many friends and a new place to ride that they will be happy to show you around.

Same at Frances Slocum, Lackawanna SP, Merli-Sarnoski, 7 Tubs park, Jessup Nature Conservancy Land, Prompton Dam SP, Hubbard Bicycle Club and Lackawanna State Forest or any other area here in NEPA PM me for any help you need.

We all look forward to meeting new riders and broadening our group and riding opportunities.

Guys it's about riding bicycles for Pete's sake...Jeff, Great Pics as usual by the way. The Kingdom Trails pics from Vermont were really nice also. Lot's of fun to be had by all!

Ps Kev I didn't use any of those Smileys you hate so much.......LOL! Hey when ya doing another ride in your area? The last one kicked my old fat a** I look forward to another...LOL!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-11-2007 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I agree with Lee..."it's all about riding". We have so many great places to ride in NEPA and it's expanding. NEPMTBA has done a great job maintaining the trails at FS and developing a relationship with Park Management. What they have done and are doing can increase our riding opportunities at other State Parks throughout the state!! By bashing NEPMTBA you are essentially bashing the State Park system, as they are following strict guidelines. I, myself, would rather applaud them and help them to maintain existing trails and further expand where and when we can ride! I have personally helped at trail work days at Frances Slocum, Lackawanna State Park and Merli-Sarnoski Park. It is a privilege to ride and we should all do our part to keep the trails open to mtn bikers.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Ride Ride Ride

I just have to add:

I have held back for a long time and you all know it's coming.

None of us started on a bike as and "EXPERT or PRO" I know some of you have been blessed with the god given abilities to achieve greatness on a Mt Bike! We "HAIL" you for that and we know you worked your a** off to get to the level you arrived at! While you were out racing people were working and talking with Rangers, Staff and others to open up more places to ride for everone. Just as people worked hard to put on the race you attend. With that said:

You fail to understand there are people who are just starting out and have "NO IDEA" what our Sport is about! They are the "Majority" You "COULD" Represent yourself as an individual who helps New-Bees since you have SOOOOOOOOO much knowledge of Mt Biking. Spreading the word would only make you a better person and god help us you don't want that.. Do you? Just think when you stared off as a know nothing, you looked to riders to help you! according to your ideas you should have been kicked to the curb back then. We wouldn't be having this conversation cause you wouldn't be the great mt biker you are. At some point you have to give back. You have heard this statement from many famous professional sports heros. Why take all you learned to the grave? Who's gong ot use it there?

The State Park system is NOT: A race course! Nor your personal ground to show how great you are. We already know that You tell us all the time! If you don't like a ride area, ride elsewhere. Those of you who open your mouth and spew these untruths are the one's "I NEVER SEE AT A WORKDAY... EVERl Yet you THINK you are doing something to interupt our Fun and Happinsess. You are so dead wrong! You put yourself out on an island where you are very alone and are missing the great benefits that friends share in riding and life expierences. We only get stronger!

Many of people here in this post Jeff, Dennis, Laura, Scott(Excuse me if I didn't mention you) have worked "VERY" hard to make things Better for YOU! They take the time to get picture of fantastic places and rides for you to enjoy! You explode with negativity when asked to follow simple rules that they know about their own area and you have no idea. You wanted more info here ya go, some trail names for ya about the area we talk about Bearclaw, Construction Junction. Does that help ya? Very Rocky, Technical? Find them yet? It's the people who make all this fit!

They drive miles and spend time in a park they very seldom ride. The Rangers we work with view these posts they see your attitude. What does that say for your kids if have any. The young Girl in the pic Jeff's daughter is a very fine person and my friend she can ride with he best of them. This is what it's about 'The up and comers"'

Don't let a few Black and White typed words allow you to miss the great expeirances you will have! Besides we give out Free Stickers to all new comers....Now let's RIDE....................LOL!

mtbr member

Nice pics Jeff...thanks for sharing.

Good Job

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005

here here

I like bikes!

mtbr member

Whoaaa!

I took a couple of days down in Virginia to check out the "Southern Traverse" and look what I missed!!!! "There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........ "

"theres still time to change the road your on."

Offer still stands to all , send a pm and next time riding the area , will let you know so you can check the fine trails of exit 165 out.

Ride On, Brothers and Sisters!

mtbr member
    Wow did I wack the hornet's nest.

First, I will appologize for going off - it was a little harsh. Still, I thought I asked a pretty basic question and got an answer equivalent to: "we know where to ride and you don't ha, ha." And nobody bothered to say: there are access issues, you can get really lost, trails are hard to find, length of trails, terrain, etc.

Second, just because you can race or do well in a local series doesn't mean ****. Why don't you head out to Big Bear or the Sea Otter and see how you measure up. You can call me out all you want, but I raced for many years, have two Wilderness 101's under my belt, ride twice a year in Reno/Tahoe on such classic's as Mr. Toad's and Hole in the Wall in addition to logging miles of smiles on high desert single track with plenty of rocks. I ride a couple times a week in the Wiss, so as for trail conditions in "rocksylvania," I feel pretty competent.

But busting on the guys and gals who put in the work at Slocum is not cool. It is a nice little area, with some variety of terrain, a few loops there will get the heart rate up. Calling it a "sidewalk" isn't accurate or fair. Besides, check out what IMBA does to trails or ride any of the popular rides out West; IMBA makes the trails sustainable and with great flow. Some will call it sanitized, and it does take some of the pucker factor out of certain trails, but in the long run it is sustainable and fun riding. They are doing a great job in Wiss, with the dedication of the local crew.

The Slocum folks did a lot of work and deserve some respect, even if you don't like to ride there. I have a job and on a weekday, a place like Slocum is a great way to get a dose of happiness; on the weekends I like to OD on happiness somewhere with a longer trail system. I am not from NE Pa, from SE Pa, but get up to Wilkes Barre area on occasion for business and Slocum has always worked out well. Was just looking for somewhere else.

mtbr member

Oh Well

and as the Old Coot would say... at the rate yer going son, yer gonna hafta keep lookin

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    justriding:

Hey glad you replied!

My post was mainly top Kevin (Ganginwood)

I never meant to bust you about your riding skill or personal attack on you in any way! You can ride with us anytime, anywhere!

I don't know why Kev always degrades Frances Slocum. He doesn't live anywhere near it unless he moved since I last rode with him in the spring. He lives 20 miles from it. We have had words in the past and I thought we were over all that BS. I don't think he realizes when he bashes FS he is bashing Myself, Chris Stine all of NEPMTBA who includes Jeffskimontana and the Mt Top gang who have worked with us at FS to improve the trails there. We all ride together also.

Kev: to you what's up? Don't just hide! You need to respond as you have pissed off many people here. PM Me or Email Me or Chris Stine and explain why. I know your post was to Justriding but you felt you had to bash FS and us? reason(s)

proformance58@cs.com

foto@radiorum.microserve.com

ganginwood
    pm sent

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    pm sent
    Ya, I got your rude cursing PM! I should put it out here for all to see!

Just a little statement coming from me and the group after having disscuss the events here on the board!

We(NEPMTBA) will have no connection to the above mentioned person in anyway. Theres your line in the sand!

Thanks to all who help to make the Mountain Biking Community a better place thorough hard work and dedication! Let's ride!

Lee Curry

mtbr member

Holy Soap Opera!

Justriding, I'm still up for showing you the trails if you want. E-mail me. Bring a singlespeed.

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    This first time I heard about the Mt Top trails I asked my friend (not on MTBR) "where is the trail head". He said not to bother unless I had someone show me around. He didn't do this out of spite, or becasue I wasn't worthy, he did it becasue it is very easy lost and hard to fine the "awesome" trails.

There are more than 40 miles (that I am aware of) of awesome trails that "can" be very hard to find. There are various technical levels of terrain. Some tough climbs and fun downhills, some smooth flowing sections to technical sections that will deffinatley throw you for a loop if your not careful.

Jeff was one of the first people to show me around the Mt Top trails. He is an great guide, friend and rider. He will take the time to show your around at your pace. Heck, he even gave my a Gel Pack when he saw I was exhuasted or was I half dead, I can't remember

I would highly recommend that anyone wishing to check out the Mt Top trails please PM someone that knows the trail system. There are several rides that take place in the area during the week and weekends. I am positive that anyone could take part, just ask.

Ride Safe, Ride Forever
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast