mtbr member

7 Springs 24 hour race results

Okay, so who has seen the results??? Anyone have them??? Who was the Solo Mens Hero???

Should be interesting to see the reults....

Ed

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I know Brandon D. won Solo. SUPER impressive. I could only muster 9 laps But it was still a great race and a good time. I hope this isn't the last year for it.

I would think the results will be up on the 24HRCC site this week.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    WOW, way to go for Brandon, the oung man is turning into a "machine"...dude 9 laps is over 100 miles right?? excellent job! Was Rob L. there this year? The weather looked great, you all must have had a fabulous time...well hopefully no surgery next year for me and I'll get to participate....

Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rob was there. Believe it or not, he raced on the VisitPA relay team. I saw him at the pre-race brief and he said, "I have no idea what to do or what I'm going to do between laps" and laughed. But I think he got the hang of it.

mtbr member
    Thats very funny...I'm sure he figured it out and was loving it by late night early morning...I'm sure the team did great!!! Go VisitPA...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hear the solo champ stuck it out for 16 laps... yeah... that tied my 4-guy-relay team. Seriously. There are some freaks out there. 2 of the 4 of us were in the ER for fluids Sunday afternoon... and one guy beat us! Freaking awesome! I've been bugging the 7 springs organizers to post the results and they've conceded and they'll be up ASAP. The organizers sucked, but the trails rocked (literally!). The most challenging trail I've ever been on... but that's not saying much with my 2 race and 2 year experience.

mtbr member
    Damn...one guy 16 laps...that is truly amazing, didn't the champ last year do 17 laps (Rob L)...and you guys had 2 guys in ER, wow...everyone is okay now right? You guys wouldn't happen to be from the Baltimore area?

Ed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The solo race was very competative. Brandon won with 16 laps but he only beat the 2nd place solo guy by 1 or 2 minutes. Can't remember his name right now, but he rode for Scott Cycles. Everytime I saw those guys coming though the camping area they were right beside each other, it was almost like they were riding together.

mtbr member
    AWESOME...that would be Aaron Synder he's a very fast young Elite racer...he's had some good finishes this year...I think he mentored with Rob L. last year and finished just behind Rob last year...great way for a 24 hr. race to finish for the spectators...congrats to him if that is correct...

Ed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Please take it easy on the organizers

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthrift
    The organizers sucked, but the trails rocked (literally!). The most challenging trail I've ever been on... but that's not saying much with my 2 race and 2 year experience.
    Andrew,

Please take it easy on the race staff. I have seen your comments on the 7 springs board, and with all due respect, they are pretty rude. The race was well organized compared to many events, and the venue was clean, comfortable and in great shape. The people that put on that race are my friends and they work thier butts off. The resort makes about zero dollars off of that race, and without the help of the volunteers and employees working unpaid overtime, this thing would not happen. The prizes and swag are OK and the race fee includes free camping, hot showers, flush toilets and a PHENOMENAL race course.

Sorry, but I have little tolerance for negativity as it relates to the efforts of people working hard to promote events that are money losers. The only thing that fuels this event is the passion of a dedicated few.

Instead of bashing these guys in online forums, I would suggest a well thought out letter to seven Springs resort outlining your concerns.

Mountain bikers are sort of looked down upon by the recreation industry at large as we spend relatively little money at the venues we utilize, that is why race fees are so high, and that is also why the Bike parks receive so much attention.

I am glad you enjoyed the trails, and hope to see you back again next year. Please stay positive and out of the ER.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Chris, I don't think I was too harsh, but I certainly don't want to bash them, it was a cool race. I was surprised there were only one or two vendors, no signs once you arrive at seven springs, no electronic timing, no results yet, and man I wish I knew where those hot showers were! And seriously, over $100 per person is serious cash, I saw at least 150 riders, so with well over $15000 to spend I felt they could have done better. I'm surprised to hear they aren't making a profit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Fair enough

While I will agree that the sinage is lacking, $100 bucks is a pretty standard per peson fee in the endurance race world. So much has to happen behind the scenes to make these things work that the $$$ dries up quickly.

Just to camp anywhere with any facilities at all is at least 10 bucks per person per night. add to that 24 hours of EMS support, Tenting, Lighting, swag, sinage, taping and mapping of trails, marketing, scoring, Numbers, Prizes (cash prizes too), clean up, etc and you see where the budget goes.. did you ever throw a party for 200 people?

As for the vendors, they chose not to attend presumably becasue there is not a large enough field to make it worth their while. This is a pretty small 24 hr event.

In the end, I still think I had 100 bucks worth of fun.

My point is this: In order to keep these events going it takes guys like me and you to be super positive and help keep people on the fringes interested in putting their hard earned cash into entry fees.

By the way, in your info packet you had passes to the showers in the resort's sports center. I don't use them, my house is a mile away, but my camping neighbors said they were nice at 3 AM

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good thoughts Chris, I agree with ya. And man do I wish I read that info packet... I was too nervous before the race maybe You'll get a kick out of this - after my ride at night (2 laps starting at 2:20am) I had a cold bucket shower butt naked by my tent before crawling in to bed. Just the thought of those showers makes me know what I missed.

I've definitely got some buds who will show up next year, this was our first year, and I think we'll have at least 2 teams next year, all of whom will know where the showers are! Have you heard anything about this being the last year? I heard rumors...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

seven springs

You got off easy for 100 bucks. I rode solo and had to annie up 230 bucks. (ouch) It was an awesome course and I had a blast. 4 person expert came out to be $115 each, Duo $155 each, corporate about $100 each. Still don't understand why you get penalized for riding solo. I would understand if they had aid stations with food, water, gatorade, fig newtons, etc. assuming solo riders are using more than others, but when you are supporting yourself with all this why is it so much more? The bottom line is that nobody makes us do this so if we don't like the prices we can stay home. All and all I would do it again, even if it cost another $230.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Damn Right!

"All and all I would do it again, even if it cost another $230."

Damn right dude. Not sure WHY we do it. We just DO. Until the next one. Cheers!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.