Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70
  1. #1
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168

    7 spring and others?

    Ok, I know, I know, there is a post about "when is 7 springs opening..."
    So, any one know anthing yet?
    And is there any other place for freeride / down hill in westren PA that I should know about?

  2. #2
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    7 Springs DH trail and bike rentals always open Memorial Weekend.

  3. #3
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    7 Springs DH trail and bike rentals always open Memorial Weekend.
    Always? As in this will be the first year they are open for the whole summer and now will always open on Memorial Day Weekend?

  4. #4
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    The bike rentals and basically, most summer activities have always opened Memorial weekend. Being a place full of employees who can't stand change, I don't forsee this ever changing. This isn't their first summer for MTB'ing, they've had it for years. It's just their first summer for a full DH season (I use that term loosely since there is only 1 DH trail).

    Besides, the place is literally a ghost town until that weekend, so they won't pay the employees to open that stuff up and run lifts until the summer tourist season opens...on Memorial weekend.

    You can go ride XC all you want, it's unstaffed and currently open now that ski season is over and the fire roads have been plowed.

  5. #5
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    The bike rentals and basically, most summer activities have always opened Memorial weekend. Being a place full of employees who can't stand change, I don't forsee this ever changing. This isn't their first summer for MTB'ing, they've had it for years. It's just their first summer for a full DH season (I use that term loosely since there is only 1 DH trail).

    Besides, the place is literally a ghost town until that weekend, so they won't pay the employees to open that stuff up and run lifts until the summer tourist season opens...on Memorial weekend.

    You can go ride XC all you want, it's unstaffed and currently open now that ski season is over and the fire roads have been plowed.
    Cool, thanks for the info, sorry if I came off a bit surry, I hear that they going to build like 3 more DH/FR trails.

  6. #6
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    This year? I'll believe it when I see it. Trust me when I say MTB'ing is the last priority on their list. I know first hand.

    I hope they do though, I have a season pass for the lifts. I'd like to be able to use it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    57
    TRG thats a real shame as that place has such potential to be a great DH/FR resort.

  8. #8
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Yeah, I know.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    141
    Would a season pass work for MTB'ing ???

  10. #10
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    A ski pass? No.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332

    opening day

    Has anyone heard confirmation as to whether 7Springs downhill opens Memorial Day? Not a word on their website.

  12. #12
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    Has anyone heard confirmation as to whether 7Springs downhill opens Memorial Day? Not a word on their website.
    I called them yesterday, they hold me they will be open for MD for weekends only and july 4th they will be open 7 days a week. And they guy said they want to put in 2 more trails, and maybe a 3rd... we'll see...

  13. #13
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by nitzer
    IAnd they guy said they want to put in 2 more trails, and maybe a 3rd... we'll see...
    Wait, what?

    They want to put in 2 or 3 more trails? As in, they haven't started working on them yet?

    That's pretty disappointing. It really does sound like DH is low on their priority list. I doubt it's worth it to drop $20 on a lift ticket to ride one trail. I was hoping that that resort was going to be a nice, closer alternative to driving to Diablo or Snowshoe, I guess that's not going to be the case.

  14. #14
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Wait, what?

    They want to put in 2 or 3 more trails? As in, they haven't started working on them yet?
    Yep. They are too worried about clay shooting and guided fly fishing....in ponds.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    141
    The Wisp in Deep Creek Maryland has a DH course,lift ,and alot of trails.Check out the vid on www.sicklines.com.On the left click courses.I'm going to try and get up there this summer.

  16. #16
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Timberline is also getting (back) in the game.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332

    idiots

    I'm still amazed that they're opening DH in a week, yet 7Springs has nothing on the website. Is clay shooting really that lucrative? Or do these bumpkins just not realize that mountain biking pumps $22 million into the local economy of Whistler, for example? That's a rhetorical question, obviously.

  18. #18
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Brainbckt, you just summed it up from your title to the final period.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2000cx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    151
    I too feel like these guys are really missing out on something. There has been so much talk from other mountains in PA to get downhill biking up and running, and for them I understand there are most likely many things we don't understand involved in making that happen. But 7 Springs ALREADY HAS their lifts spinning during these summer months, that seems like one of the big sticking points for the start up mountains. Not to mention an overall nice resort already in place. Just build more trails and the people will no doubt come your way.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    He who dies with the most toys wins...

  20. #20
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    It's highly unlikely it will open this weekend. Instead of working on the trail as soon as possible, they waited until the last minute and have been rained out.

  21. #21
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    It's highly unlikely it will open this weekend. Instead of working on the trail as soon as possible, they waited until the last minute and have been rained out.
    I just looked at their webcam and it looks like the tabletops at the base of wagner slope are built. So they might be able to get things going this weekend.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keith13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    353
    I was wondering??? What kind of bikes are you guys riding at Seven Springs and the other resorts as far as travel goes?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

  23. #23
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    I was wondering??? What kind of bikes are you guys riding at Seven Springs and the other resorts as far as travel goes?
    I have a big hit 2 ( 7 1/2" suspension)
    I was riding with 4" of suspension last year but I blew out both my front and rear shocks and decided to upgrade..
    You could probably get away with 5 or 6" at seven springs.

  24. #24
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    Looks like I was way off.
    I just looked at 7 springs website.
    It says that they are gearing up to start building their trails.
    They don't have any dates listed for trail openings.
    ( i guess they were still hoping for snow)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    95
    Frankly, I think they were debating wheter or not to spend the money. Maybe Hidden Valley's efforts motivated them.

    Oh well, better late than never. I am fired up now. Glad I bought the Stinky D last month! I thought i was going to have to road trip to Wisp...

    I am glad to see they hired professionals as well.

    Sweet picture of Gordy sending it on the web site:

    http://www.7springs.com/page/categor...Bike_Park.html

    See you on the hill.

  26. #26
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Ehhh....

    Still not holding my breath. I guess we'll be going to LM this holiday weekend instead of trying the DH as planned.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    95
    TRG- I am totally with you. I will believe it when I see it.

    There is cause for optimism though- Judd Devall is involved.

    According to some of the guys who have been around for a while, Judd Devall is pretty serious his business, and 7 springs is the first major resort I know of to hire his newly formed trail design company- Alpine trail design. he was with IMBA when he did the 1st trail @ the springs. Lets hope he uses our little mountains as a canvas for a great network of trails.

    What day are you heading to laurel. We are at White Mtn all weekend. Give us a call...

  28. #28
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Saturday or Sunday, if not both. I'll call you tomorrow once I talk to everyone and figure things out.

  29. #29
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    This weekend might call for a scouting expedition at the Valley one of those two days.

    DR, how's the trail scouting going? Up for leading us around HV Saturday or Sunday?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332

    7springs

    Sounds like they're moving ahead, but the fact that their website says "starting" trails is not very encouraging.

    As to the bike question a couple of posts back, I rode my Heckler (5") on the 7Springs DH last year and would have liked a little more bike.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keith13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    Sounds like they're moving ahead, but the fact that their website says "starting" trails is not very encouraging.

    As to the bike question a couple of posts back, I rode my Heckler (5") on the 7Springs DH last year and would have liked a little more bike.
    Sounds good, I am moving to PA this August and I am bringing my Heckler with me. It is one of the newer models with 150 mm in the rear and I am probably going to get a pike on it soon.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian A
    TRG- I am totally with you. I will believe it when I see it.

    What day are you heading to laurel. We are at White Mtn all weekend. Give us a call...
    Sorry to go off topic, but this White Mountain you speak of, is it the defunct ski area just to the west of 7 Springs north face? The one above Pritts Distillery Road?

  33. #33
    Nice no rass
    Reputation: Too Rass Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    682
    Yes.

  34. #34
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    I called 7 springs this morning and they told me there should be 1 trail ready for next weekend (5-31-08)

  35. #35
    S&G CREW
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    This year? I'll believe it when I see it. Trust me when I say MTB'ing is the last priority on their list. I know first hand.

    I hope they do though, I have a season pass for the lifts. I'd like to be able to use it.
    Well if you go down there you will see it they have started the other three trails and heard they will be done in june.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    95

    Same White Mtn

    I have a house in the village. we ride from there a lot.

  37. #37
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    7 springs gravity trail opens this weekend http://7springs.com/page/calendars.d...event/489.html . I wonder how much they will discount the tickets?

  38. #38
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob
    7 springs gravity trail opens this weekend http://7springs.com/page/calendars.d...event/489.html . I wonder how much they will discount the tickets?
    I wonder too. $29 is very steep for lift access to one downhill trail.

    The fact that Seven Springs brought in a design team sounds promising. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332
    Indeed, Snowshoe is $39 for a Bike Park AND a full complement of downhill trails on their Western Territory, with a hell of a lot more vertical. I also have to compare Snowshoe's $279 season pass (which includes a $20 credit for the bike shop and 1 free race entry) to 7Springs' $199. Still, I'll be checking out 7Springs on Sunday...

  40. #40
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    Indeed, Snowshoe is $39 for a Bike Park AND a full complement of downhill trails on their Western Territory, with a hell of a lot more vertical. I also have to compare Snowshoe's $279 season pass (which includes a $20 credit for the bike shop and 1 free race entry) to 7Springs' $199. Still, I'll be checking out 7Springs on Sunday...
    I'll be out on sunday, I'll be on a Norco Shore and with 2 guys on King Fishers.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skywaybuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    616
    COME UP TO THE MOUNTAIN
    SEVEN SPRINGS MOUNTAIN RESORT

    Seven Springs Mountain Resort Opens Bike Park for 2008 Season
    11 a.m., Sat., May 31, 2008

    Seven Springs Mountain Resort will open the Seven Springs Bike Park on Sat., May 31, 2008. Bike park staff is currently prepping last season’s “Trail-007” with lofty goals for park expansion during the 2008 season.

    With a successful inaugural year complete, the resort will expand the bike park and provide more events and services to mountain biking guests by adding both machine-built and hand-built trails to give riders more trail variety, mileage and challenge. Additionally, Seven Springs will establish a bike shop and a bike park yurt, where riders can chill and spend time with their friends after a run through the park.

    Seven Springs has contracted the consulting and construction services of Alpine Bike Parks, LLC, to assist in the park’s development. Alpine’s pro-level designer/builders include Eric Carter (Mongoose/SRAM/Kenda), Randy Spangler (Santa Cruz/Marzocchi/Oakley), as well as former pro rider Judd de Vall.

    “The trails at the Seven Springs Bike Park are all about flow,” says project manager Judd de Vall. “We want to build a diversity of trails that will provide an exceptional experience for a broad range of riders, from first-timers to experts. Some of our trails will be extremely challenging, but we also want to communicate that lift-accessed trails aren’t just for hardcore downhillers,” added de Vall. “Meandering, lift-serviced trails are a perfect experience for families who are looking for a way to ride together without long climbs. The trails can be an especially good way to introduce family members and children to our favorite summer experience.”

    The park will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the following schedule:
    May 30 to June 27: Weekends only
    June 28 to Sept. 1: Daily
    Sept. 2 to Oct. 26: Weekends and Holidays

    Daily park passes are priced at $29 with discounted passes available for the month of June. However, passes for this weekend, May 31 and June 1, will be $15 each. Season Passes are priced at $199. Kona mountain bikes and Fox Racing protective gear are available for rental. For more information, please visit www.7springs.com

    WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ON THE MOUNTAIN!
    SEVEN SPRINGS MOUNTAIN RESORT

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332
    Nitzer, I think I saw your bike when I was waiting on the lift. Purple Shore? I rented one of those babies in Whistler.

    If anyone is interested, the one 7Springs trail that's open is pretty similar to last year (except, unfortunately, they don't have the big table top and double at the bottom of the hill). No fun to ride wet, but pretty good flow when it dries out. Like last year, they didn't build the banked turns high enough on the section with multiple switchbacks.

  43. #43
    If you won't build I will
    Reputation: nitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    Nitzer, I think I saw your bike when I was waiting on the lift. Purple Shore? I rented one of those babies in Whistler.

    If anyone is interested, the one 7Springs trail that's open is pretty similar to last year (except, unfortunately, they don't have the big table top and double at the bottom of the hill). No fun to ride wet, but pretty good flow when it dries out. Like last year, they didn't build the banked turns high enough on the section with multiple switchbacks.
    Yep, that was mine!

  44. #44
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    655
    was at 7 Springs this weekend, looks like they have 2 more trails roughed in.
    I talked to the trail builders and it looks like they want to have them finished before July 4th. weekend. One of the new trails they are building is going to be a more natural downhill trail with rock gardens and maybe a couple of ladder bridges. They are also going to move where you finish the existing trail up the hill and put in a couple of features. They want to be able to leave all the features they are building up during the winter months so they can open earlier next season. Sounds promising.

  45. #45
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,093
    Despite the pessimism about 7 Springs in this thread (myself included) it looks like they're really starting to put things together over there. Anyone here been up there recently?

    Info from this thread.

    First:

    July 11/12 their offering FREE lift tickets and bike demos. More info here.

    Additional trails seem to be popping up, with more in the works. I like the looks of things:



    Cool ladder/rock drop:

    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i139.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid139.photobucket.com/albums/q283/blueprophetrider/lastthree.flv">

    I can't wait to see what this place ends up looking like by the end of the summer.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dascro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,149
    Hey all, I'm planning on heading out there this weekend. This will be my first time at a downhill resort. Do I need to buy a full face helmet? I have a 2005 heckler, is that enough bike for this resort?

    How do I get my bike on the lift? Thanks!!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: defcon4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    249
    Friends of mine make up a good portion of the trail crew and they are busting @$$ to get the trails in shape for riding. Hopefully everyone jumps on the 7 springs bandwagon b/c they are doing a great job of putting in QUALITY trails. By next year it wont even be worth driving to snowshoe at 8.95 a gallon for gas.

    as for the other post; yeah your heckler will be fine. as for helmet; no you dont have to have a full face it is all relative to how fast you go and how far you jump or drop. a hardshell dj helmet wouldnt hurt.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dascro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4

    as for the other post; yeah your heckler will be fine. as for helmet; no you dont have to have a full face it is all relative to how fast you go and how far you jump or drop. a hardshell dj helmet wouldnt hurt.

    i'll be pretty agressive. I've done a lot of freeriding all over the country but never any DH. Maybe a DJ helmet or full face is worth it. How do I get my bike on the lift? I don't want to seem like an idiot when I get there.

    I have a MX helmet I use on my dirt motor. Are the the same as a full face MTB helmet?

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    332
    You can either hand your bike to the lift operator and they will load it for you on a chair behind you, or you can take it on the chair you're riding in by putting the rear wheel over the back of the chair. I've found that if you have a large bike, the latter method is a little awkward.

    I rode my 2003 Heckler at 7Springs. Worked fine, although I now have a Bullit, which is better suited.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keith13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    You can either hand your bike to the lift operator and they will load it for you on a chair behind you, or you can take it on the chair you're riding in by putting the rear wheel over the back of the chair. I've found that if you have a large bike, the latter method is a little awkward.

    I rode my 2003 Heckler at 7Springs. Worked fine, although I now have a Bullit, which is better suited.
    I have a new style Heckler with the RP23 on the back and I am considering taking it to 7springs when I move out here, and I was wondering if you had a DHX-coiled shock on the rear of the Heckler and how do you like your Bullit?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •