mtbr member
    Nov 2006

7 Spring Bike Park on XC Bike

I have a Giant Anthem X, it has 3 inches of travel. I really enjoy fast flowy trail. I know I will not be blasting rock gardens or doing huge drops. Would it be worth my time and money to ride the bike park on this bike?

mtbr member
    They do rent bikes there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

No...
    ...go to Raystown and do the loop jkad posted in the Allegrippis trails thread!

mtbr member
    I did it on a specialized hardrock with tektro mechanical disks (they suck). It definitely limits the trails you can ride and my hands were cramping from holding the brakes constantly. I had a good time but I have a prophet with 140mm of travel now and would still rather rent if I went back. They do have a nice 24 hour race loop which would be great on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    You could ride almost any bike at 7 Springs, but you will have the most fun on a freeride or downhill bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I did it on a specialized hardrock with tektro mechanical disks (they suck). It definitely limits the trails you can ride and my hands were cramping from holding the brakes constantly. I had a good time but I have a prophet with 140mm of travel now and would still rather rent if I went back. They do have a nice 24 hour race loop which would be great on the Anthem.

That 24 hour loop has some great rock gardens. Whew, did that race last year, rained the whole time...brutal.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did Blue Mountain recently on a 140mm Transition Bandit 29, it was my first time at a bike park, and the bike did hold up well, but I was sort of limited compared to if I had a DH bike. I mostly stayed on the beginner trails. I did get compliments on how much I was doing though on a 29er there!

Next time I go back, I'd take it again. Once I really max out the ability of my bike, then I'll rent a few times, then I'll ponder buying a DH bike. Sadly, I can't go out and buy one now, house shopping. But I bit the DH bug hard only after one day. If I was single, I'd be looking to get a DH rig like yesterday.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't think the bike would hold me back. It would be more of an issue of skill/balls. I just thought it would be fun to cruse some long downhill with out the climbing. I'm not bombing rock gardens or doing huge drops on any bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I used to do 7 Springs park on my prophet....but it stuck to the OG, and a few others.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LovePA View Post
    I don't think the bike would hold me back. It would be more of an issue of skill/balls. I just thought it would be fun to cruse some long downhill with out the climbing. I'm not bombing rock gardens or doing huge drops on any bike.
    It is hard to explain, but the bike will hold you back some. Once you ride a DH bike, it will make sense. The slack head angle, long wheelbase, and extra mass of a DH bike really generates a lot of stability compared to an XC bike like the Anthem. That stability translates into more confidence which lets you go faster in any terrain and have more fun.

I have ridden my 5" travel AM/trail bike at 7 springs and other lift served resorts before and it was decently fun. But once I got a DH bike, I could not go back to something smaller. And having owned more XC oriented bikes in the past, I know they are not well suited for downhill runs. But maybe you should try it once, then if you enjoy it, rent a DH bike next time and see the difference.

I got so used to the geometry of a DH bike that all of my trail bikes have similar geometry now...Banshee Spitfire, Kona Honzo...both slack HA, low BB, trail shredders that don't care about going fast up hill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I should also point out that on my Bandit 29, which is a nice slack bike, the DH trails (at least at Blue Mountain, can't speak to 7 Springs) had a lot of smaller and loose rocks when there wasn't larger boulders to rail over, so the whole time, the bike is just taking a massive repetitive pounding that a DH bike would have absorbed better. Like, after 3 hours, I couldn't properly open my fingers on their own, I had to open them with the opposite hand. I suspect that is more my fault, in that I need to find a way to stay loose in the hands, but it was such a constant jarring that I had to hold on for dear life lol.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

Re: 7 Spring Bike Park on XC Bike

Stay on 007 and super connector and you'll have fun. Frank or lower ec1 not so much.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables