Thread: 650b prophet

mtbr member

650b prophet

Does anyone local have a prophet that they did a 650b wheel swap on? I'm interested in the idea but not sure if I'm intersted enough to drop $500 to find out. I'd like to get some impressions from some local PA riders. Maybe even just 27.5 up front and keep the 26 in the back? Any insight is appreciated.

mtbr member
    You might want to post that question in the 650b forum.... lot of good info there.
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Not on a prophet, but on two other bikes. 26 rear/ 650b front. 1 rigid and 1 with a fox fork. good way to go imho.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Forum member "skidad" was probably one of the first, and he used the 650b wheels for quite some time before buying a dedicated Jamis.

He liked it, but the Prophet's swing-arm flex was his reasoning for selling the bike.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

Rolling on 650b
    I've been ruuning 650b for over a year on my Rush, and have been very happy with the performance. Rolls stuff much better, has resulted in reduced pedal strikes, and hasn't noticeably slowed handling. My ony initial problem was the lack of tire choices. The Nevegals grip everything, but roll slow. Just switched to a Mission on the front and am impressed with the tire. I am pretty sure Wyatt had 650 on his Prophet and liked it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    You ran 650b on a Rush? Due tell....my brother happens to have a Rush he's selling....might tell him to put 650b wheels on it to help sell it. It seems dumping a 26er is a tough sell these days.
    Climbing Builds Character

Rolling on 650b
    Fits on a 2006 without modifications. I've read it can be done on later years, but you need to remove the swingarm brace. Haven't seen it myself though. Probably a better question for the 650b group. Anyhow, it definitley make the bike more NEPA friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    I've been ruuning 650b for over a year on my Rush, and have been very happy with the performance. Rolls stuff much better, has resulted in reduced pedal strikes, and hasn't noticeably slowed handling. My ony initial problem was the lack of tire choices. The Nevegals grip everything, but roll slow. Just switched to a Mission on the front and am impressed with the tire. I am pretty sure Wyatt had 650 on his Prophet and liked it.
    Good to hear that you think it's a worthwhile upgrade and that you can tell a difference for the better. I'd like to get a new ride but the full suspension 650's are pricey and I think new wheels and a gravity dropper would refresh my bike. I'm also a little worried about the increased stand-over...it's tough to imagine the difference 3/4" would be without feeling it.