mtbr member

4 Rides....One Day!

Actually I'm fibbing a bit...but since I started Sunday at Frances Slocum at 8am....and did 2 complete laps of the whole trail system...I'll count lap#2 as ride#2!

After that I hopped over to Moon Lake as I've never been there before...*what I should have done is kicked Chuck K's. Kid outta bed to show me around up there first* Anyways, I managed to find "Deacon"..another trail called "Salamander" (I like this trail....Deacon is best left to the crazy people)..and "58/58"

After that stopped at Chuck K's house and got updated on any ML news then it was off to Easter dinner.

Later that afternoon both myself and Dave Y headed up to do some railbed research above Brady's Lake..the old WB & E segment from above the lake to the Pocono Lake Cutoff.

A great day..actually a great weekend as Saturday I was at Slocum twice (Still chasing the horse & rider down...no luck as of yet). Feels great to be back on a bike after 9 months of back issues and what a diff the full suspension bike makes!

BLT at Slocum

Hate when this happens..."Roman Road..Slocum" (I removed it!)

On the WB & E...Dave Y

Beavers workin' overtime on this WB& E

A success story...Brady's Lake..almost got breached for good back a few years ago, but everyone pulled together and saved the place. Since it was basically used to harvest ice at the turn of the 20th century...portions of the Ice house...foundations mainly..are still visible with the spur line running back to Brady's Switch on the WB&E. Dave Y.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    After that I hopped over to Moon Lake as I've never been there before...*what I should have done is kicked Chuck K's. Kid outta bed to show me around up there first*

Saturday I was at Slocum twice (Still chasing the horse & rider down...no luck as of yet).
    The first time I rode the mOOn I was by myself in the Winter, I also wish I had a guide!

I didn't know if I should mention it, but since your looking for the Horse Rider, when I was there Friday, on the upper section by the field? I saw what appeared to be Quad or Rino tracks on the trail.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Yep...saw that as well but since there were no "roost" markings I am assuming it was the park quad in there as they do use one when they need to. Saw them in the same place...the trail we call "Blind Side"

Thanks for the heads up regardless. Right now I figure there are about 50 people searching for the Horseman as I told or asked everyone I saw the past few days up there if they have seen him. I also let them know that horses are not allowed ij the park so if they do come across him they will tell him that we are looking for him..he might get the message and leave on his own.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Nice trail..

mtbr member
    Yes..both Slocum & for those that like RailTrail type stuff, the WB&E (Wilkes-Barre & Eastern) is a gem. Being undeveloped as a trail, for the most part after it was abandoned in the late 30's and since so much of it cut through remote locations, much of it is still intact. Originating in Stroudsburg it winds it's way back here to Wyoming Valley and terminated in what is now Nesbitt park, passing thru some very familiar places. The old RR bridge (gone now) made famous by the "Suscon Screamer" stories crossing over Suscon road..the unique "S" curve above that location behind Kaminsky's (tracks still on it and visible from Google Earth)...winding it's way thru the mountains, crossing the Lehigh River in Clifton, behind Lake Arrowhead & Brady's lake and across Pocono lake (where the bridge is out...) continues alongside and is actually part of Rt 940 before it veers off and runs between both lanes of I-380 (visible) right before the 380/80 split. You can also see the Right of way as it cuts across 80 right before the truck stop on the eastbound side going down the mountain and then it did something that I don't think anyone knows. It cuts across what is now Camelback Ski resort, to climb that mountain it did another "S" curve and about 3/4 of the way up it exits the resort on the left (One of the ski resorts access trails is the RR bed) and continues around the mountain staying on the right side of I-80 until it crosses over once again in the vicinity of what used to be Pocono Vision center and ends there in Stroudsburg. (Some RR buildings still intact and being used today)

Look it up online:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkes-...stern_Railroad

Also, we are doing one of our RailTrail rides on the segment from Clifton to Dupont, so if you're from the area and want to join, check out this link!

http://forums.wvmtba.com/showthread.php?t=469