Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

4-5 hours drive? Where to ride?

Hey all.

Last year me and the crew went to Slatyfork WV and we basically lost 2 days driving. We have less time for this years roadtrip. Where do you suggest within the 4-6 hour drive from Philly for a 4 day adventure?

I've heard mixed reviews on state college.

If you want to offer areas and ride names please do!

Thanks,

Josh

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    there is certainly 4 good days of riding up here in the state college area, but its alot more rocky than you philly boys are used to, at least thats what I hear when others have come up from that way. We can help you out with route planning and Im sure there would be a few locals to ride with on the weekend days if you are including them. accomodations could either be in any of a number of hotels in town or Greenwood furnace state park campground. you could also do a detour on the way up and hit the rattling creek stuff outside lykens PA, definitely worth the detour.
    you could also head up to Ellicotville NY, probably about 6 hours from you guys, at least three days of riding up there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Road-trip it! Spend a day in the Allentown area, then off to Lykens, then 2 in State College area

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

were all good with rocks...

slatyfork WV is rocky so were all good with that. heres a pic from that trip...

Ill look into NY. Not aware of whats up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    dan is the man, i agree. a day in lykens, 2 in state college, and one more in the laurel highlands.

as for mixed reviews on state college, you could find 4 days of excellent riding, and you could also find 4 days of less than excellent riding. you need to know who to meet up with.

you spend your 4 days like i mentioned and you won't be sorry. if you are, i'll enter a convent.

40 oz to freedom
    Diablo, it only a 2:30 drive from Philly.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    Diablo, it only a 2:30 drive from Philly.
    Yeah, but 1. It seems like they're looking more for technical cross-country rather than DH/FR, and 2. Diablo would get old after 2 days, nevermind 4.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

wot no bike?
    What and where is "Diablo"? Sounds interesting...

-pete

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    What and where is "Diablo"? Sounds interesting...

-pete
    Diablo Freeride Park. It's in northern jersey.

http://www.diablofreeridepark.com/park_info.html

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Check out the Woodstock Area in New York.

Jockey Hollow is right there, pretty nice!

The Kenneth Wilson campground is sweet and it has about 9 miles of trails. Pretty sure they have a NORBA race there every year.

Also you can check out the Stewart Buffer Lands on the way home.

There's a ton more riding in the general area also.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Diablo Freeride Park. It's in northern jersey.
    Thanks Stick, ever been there, Worth the drive for a day of riding?

-p

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Yeah, but 1. It seems like they're looking more for technical cross-country rather than DH/FR, and 2. Diablo would get old after 2 days, nevermind 4.
    I'm not sure where you would stay for something like this (at Mountain Creek itself?), but if you made Diablo your home base, you would be right next to Wawayanda, and centrally located between (and reasonably close to) Allamuchy & Ringwood, all of which have more than a day's worth of what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    If you dont want to drive too far then difinately check out the Laurel Highlands. You could ride the Laurel Mtn/Linn Runn area then ride Seven Springs which is pretty much in the same area. Maybe head on down to Ohiopyle as well. You could camp at Linn Runn basically right next to the trails. Food and lodging in this area is also cheap.

mtbr member
    NEPA! Lackawanna State Park, Merli (fixed for the most part), and Prompton. All have around 20 miles of trails. Merli is technical and a climb/decend type of place. LSP has a faster but still technical type of Singletrack. and Prompton is a mix. Very fast and wide turns with Tech sections mixed in. Come up to Hubbard for a Thursnight ride and see what makes it fun around here. You can head back to your favorite any time. Contact me and we (might) have someone to show you ALL the places. ttyl, Fahn

40 oz to freedom
    Thanks Stick, ever been there, Worth the drive for a day of riding?

-p
    I've been there several times. For someone who loves big hits and free ride its great. If free ride isn't your thing, you will hate the place.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    Michaux State forest between Gettysburg and Shippensburg. Camp in Pinegrove furnace, Ride, puke, repeat x4.

You can easily do two days riding from the park and 20 mintues drive to other parts of the park and you'll be hardpressed to repeat a trail.

Use the Michaux endurance race series maps for long rides
    http://www.gettysburgbmx.com/michaux...name=Downloads
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i used to be a north jersey guy so am very much ok with waywayanda and ringwood and allamucuhy....

we may want somethign more exotic. That is, of course, in the eye of the beholder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks...XC technical. no downhill or freeride

Thanks everyone.

Were getting there with some of the suggestions. Good ones at that. about the freeride and DH...were lookin for the juicy XC. Climbing is good too.

were all expierenced sport and expert level XC riders. technical is good!

Im trying to convince the crew that Pisgah NC (and area) is worth the trip but after last years car time people are a bit put off by another 2 days of lost riding.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    Thanks everyone.

Were getting there with some of the suggestions. Good ones at that. about the freeride and DH...were lookin for the juicy XC. Climbing is good too.

were all expierenced sport and expert level XC riders. technical is good!

Im trying to convince the crew that Pisgah NC (and area) is worth the trip but after last years car time people are a bit put off by another 2 days of lost riding.
    Where are you coming from, anyway? Are you in Philly? Or Hoboken?

I only ask because, if it's the latter, then Vermont's kingdom trails are a very reasonable drive (probably just over 6 hrs from Hoboken) and are well worth the trip.

From Philly, with rest stops and such, it's more like 8 hrs. It's a haul, but if you leave early in the morning, you can get there by mid-afternoon and still get some good riding in. Either way, it's a *lot* closer than Pisgah.

Great trails. Easily 4 days worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

philly is the home base: how'd you know i used to live in hoboken?

were all in phlly now.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    how'd you know i used to live in hoboken?
    Prolly the same way he knows you ride a 91 Monster Fat Chance.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Prolly the same way he knows you ride a 91 Monster Fat Chance.

Oh. No. I'd have to look at his profile for that. Much too complicated. I've simply been stalking him for over a year, that's all.

Nice guess though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    4 days of riding at kingdom trails???

sorry but i must disagree. especially for sport/expert riders you'll be done with every trail in no longer than 2 days. maybe a 3rd day for a greatest hits ride.

and unfortunately for as nice as VT and NH are, there seems to be just too much private land up there for too may other big riding opportunities outside of ski resort type riding.

that said I HAVE LOVED KINGDOM TRAILS BOTH TIMES I HAVE BEEN i would just not try to ride there for 4 days. 1 long day or two easier ones is plenty IMHO.

also if you didn't like the drive to WV you'll hate the drive to pisgah it is about 2x as far from what i experienced last summer. VT will also take you at least as long.

micheaux rocks! state college rocks! if you could navigate the WV you should have no problems out that way.

mtbr member
    here are some pics of the laurel mtn area http://mtnbiker.smugmug.com/gallery/2097227#108221891.

wot no bike?
    Awesome cake!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast