mtbr member
    Apr 2004

4-5 hour drive Philly for 3 day EPIC MTB trip?

NEED RECCS FOR 3 Day MTB Trip + 2 drive days are ok.

Were looking to hold the annual MTB trip in Oct and are looking for suggestions. Need 3 solid days of hard ass riding. We have already been to Slatyfork WV, State College/Raystown a bunch of times, Fruita/Moab, Kingdom Trails.

We're looking to drive this year and were planning on Charlotsville, VA but the housing situation is not easy down there. If anyone has ideas let me know. The local MTB touring co is not an option (houe already rented). Any ideas on where to go? We prefer to rent a house with some of the creature comforts. or a condo will be fine on ski area (but we dont do ski slope downhill- XC only)

Send in the reccomendations.....!

Thanks!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Can you get to Brevard or Ashville NC?

Seems like there's a ton of riding to be had down there.

If you're into fly+ride, think Arizona. Sedona, Phoenix, Tuscon, Flagstaff. More trail mileage there than is reasonable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We are considering pisgah but its a solid 8-9 hour drive and were looking for less. No flying this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Massanutten. When you stay there, you are allowed to ride the private trails on their property that are built and maintained by the local club (SVBC). The trails are great for a few hours worth of riding. Staying there puts you within a 45 minute drive of the George Washington Natl. Forest where the Shenendoah 100 MTB race is held. This area is great for forest road rides up the mtns., then singletrack descents - Hankey Mtn./Dowells Draft, Chestnut Ridge, Ramseys Draft, Wolf Ridge, Southern Traverse are the most popular. All of these except the ST are near each other such that you can link them together and hit two for a good 4-5 hour ride.

mtbr member

Ellicottville, NY

about 5-6 hours, but easy drive up 476 to 81 to Binghamton to 86 West will take you to a great place - the small ski town of Elicotteville, NY located in south western NY, about 20 miles north of the PA boarder at Bradford. Below are some links the riding in McCarthy State Forrest with 6000 acres and over 40 miles of hand built single track. Elevation tops out around 2,200'. This link goes to the pdf map. poke around on the website for more info or pm me and I'm happy to give you any info you need.

I ride there about 10 times a year when I head home. The riding is spectacular, the regular start is a 20 minute switch back climb into the looping trail system. you ride through pine and birch stands to a section of rock that are called "erratics" -giant boulders (some 30' high) are scattered through the woods. One section of trail rides across the tops of some and you ride through a crevasse into a group of them. The rocky sections are technical enough to challenge the best and there are sections that smooth out for flow and speed. It is a great mix technical and flow. The state forest has dirt access roads, so you can make you ride as long or as short as you want. There is free camping there, but the sites are primative. IMBA has this trail system on its epic list. The trails system is big and remote, you ride up into the system that stays on the ridges and drops into a hanging valley toward the section called "Little Rock City" and you probably won't see but a couple riders, once you get away from the trail head.

The town of Ellicottville - at the bottom of the hill- has great bars and resturants with a brew pub many riders like. There are two LBS in case of mechanicals. The owners ride the trails and do group rides - they are hammer group rides btw- they have plenty of info on the trails and sell maps for $7, which goes to trail work. The ski resort of Holiday Valley has a mountain bike race loop that is ten miles and links into the adjacent trail system in McCarthy. Holiday Valley also has a high ropes course and a mountain coaster that is pretty cool.

October is a great time to go there - the leaves will be peak, its generally pretty dry then, they have festivals in town with lots of food and beer. there are tons of condos around the town b/c of the ski resort, so you could rent one cheap if you don't feel like camping.

Also, there is a smaller trail system within 5 miles of McCarthy forest called Golden Hill that is fun and if you wanted to do a quick ride on a driving day, would be perfect.

Links: Map Central

Ellicottville

Holiday Valley | Ski Snowboard Golf Resort & Conference Center Buffalo NY

Ellicottville, NY Chamber of Commerce | Resource for activities surrounding skiing, snowboarding, golfing, biking, and more at Holiday Valley and HoliMont, Western New York State Ski Resorts
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

my church is the woods
    Northern New Jersey has a ton of sweet XC riding. check out mtbnj.com

Allamuchy, Mahlon Dickerson, Jungle Habitat, Wawayanda, Ringwood, and many more...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    You could burn more than a day in Allamuchy, it's a TON of fun there, and I've only been on the stuff north of i81. If you like techie stuff be sure not to miss Lumpy Bumpy, Rolly Poly, and Candy Ass trail sections. They can hurt but I can't help but giggle every time I ride them.

You may want to get on to the Fats in the Cats forum and ask about up there too, I have the feeling there's a bunch of good stuff up in that section of NY.