Did you ever have ham?

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback

NEPMTBA and I decided to spend this magnificent Easter holiday riding the Switchback trail in Jim Thorpe. It is hard to believe, but after living in Jim Thorpe for about eight years, I finally explored the Switchback. Better late than never, huh? For those who don't know, the Switchback was constructed to carry coal from where it had been discovered in Summit Hill down to the Lehigh River in Mauch Chunk(later renamed Jim Thorpe, but that is another history lesson). Construction on the Switchback was started in January 1827 and the nine mile loop was completed in May. For those not interested, I will not bore you. If you are interested in the history of the Switchback, just visit this site:

http://www.switchbackgravityrr.org/sbhist.htm

Our ride began at Mauch Chunk Lake

Here is NEPMTBA demonstrating to me how the empty coal cars were transported back up the mountains...LOL!!!

NEPMTBA waiting for a ride, but I told him I wasn't going to tow him!!!

Imagine the workout if these were on you mt bike!!!

Welcome to the Switchback

NEPMTBA soaking up some sunshine!!!

It isn't too early for Creepy Pictures, is it?

Speaking of Creepy, when I was in school one of the Ghost Legends told of this statue in a cemetary on "The Hill" that would change the direction of its head!!! Now, that is CREEPY!!!

We even encountered some wildlife on our little adventure. Here is a Bobcat that we saw!!!

Quite the view from the top of Mt. Pisgah

The Glen Onoko falls from the top of Mt. Pisgah

Prepare to be CREEPED OUT!!! Here I am taking a creepy pic of NEPMTBA taking a creepy pic of his bike

Great view!!!

Creepy encased in stone!!!

Plaque dedicating The Switchback to the Citizens of Carbon County...ooops, I am from Luzerne....am I allowed here?

Not a bad ride...not an Epic, but I am working on it!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Did you ever have ham?
    It's funny, we took a Science field trip up Mt Pisgah when I was in ninth grade(about 26 years ago). I didn't remember the Wagon Road being as steep as it is...LOL!!!!

mtbr member
    lovin the pics ... very scenic ... glad you had a great easter day out on your bike

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by binger
    lovin the pics ... very scenic ... glad you had a great easter day out on your bike
    Yeah, awesome pics. I had to spend most of my day with the inlaws.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It was good to finally get a chance to show motoman around the trails at Thorpe. What a great way to spend easter than riding in the sun at JT. Just a note they have placed lots of ballast on ther wagon road, making it almost impossible to ride up, notice I said almost, after that the chain is shot on my singlespeed....LOL

The rest of the Switchback Trail was in super condition. One of the great things with the leaves off the trees you can view everything in the area from atop the mountians.

ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2003.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2004.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2005.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2006.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2007.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

More Pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2008.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2009.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2010.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2011.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2012.jpg  

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Looks like a good time guys.....

Ride da mOOn Moderator

And still more....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2013.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2014.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2015.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2016.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2017.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

And Then?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2021.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2022.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2023.jpg  

4-4-10 Jim Thorpe Switchback-imag2024.jpg  

banned
    Apr 2009
    Wow, Great Pics... I am trying to get there this summer...

Did you ever have ham?

It was a great time, I highly recommend it to anyone! To think, I lived in JT from the mid 80s to the early 90s and never appreciated what was literally in my back yard, but I guess when you are in high school there are more important things to worry about...LOL!!!

mtbr member

Ahh yes the Switchback...

.....classic ride. The pics and description make me wanna get there soon! We usually park below the water treatment plant just above Jim Thorpe...then climb up along the stream and past the lake up to Summit Hill...then we take the back way by the stripper pits to the overlook at the top of the Switchback....then down the Switchback including the cliff crossing all the way back to the cars....nice run!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Gives me PEACE of mine
    Looks like a fun ride. Thanks for sharing guys.

Did you ever have ham?

Sounds like a fun route, Jeff. I will have to try that next time I down there. My next JT ride, I think, is going to be the Lehigh Gorge to White Haven and back....I am really looking forward to that....how sick am I? Looking forward to the abuse...LOL!!!!

Did you ever have ham?

I am still learning to use Windows Movie Maker, so don't judge too harshly...LOL!!! So, grab a bag of popcorn and a beverage of your choice and enjoy my GoPro helmet cam movie debut!!!

Gravity's Gone
    nice movie dude.

mtbr member
    Great pics! Looks loke a really cool place to ride. It is now on my ride list.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

Did you ever have ham?
    Jay, you definitely will not be disappointed! The views from up on Mt. Pisgah are breathtaking!!! The only part of the ride that was a real killer was the wagon road, but it is still beautiful!!! The way we rode was from the parking lot/boat launch at Mauch Chunk Lake...I wish I would have taken some more pics and some videos down there...that was really gorgeous!!! I guess I will just have to go back...LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nice pics. great trail report. for more mileage, check out weissport. here is a leisurely ride gps track from wiessport to switchback and back. wiessport has some great singletrack on the sides of the canal path as a fun option. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28877319

Did you ever have ham?

Quote Originally Posted by euphoria
    nice pics. great trail report. for more mileage, check out weissport. here is a leisurely ride gps track from wiessport to switchback and back. wiessport has some great singletrack on the sides of the canal path as a fun option. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28877319
    Thanks, Euphoria I never knew there was any riding in Weissport and connecting it to the Switchback is awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoria
    Looks like you only hit a fraction of the Weissport singletrack. There's some really technical stuff on the other side of the canal.

@Moto - if you want to do the whole gorge ride, do it before it gets too hot. Those rock walls radiate heat like an oven in the summer. IIRC It's about 46 miles round trip starting from the main parking lot and turning around under the Rt 80 overpass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Looks like you only hit a fraction of the Weissport singletrack. There's some really technical stuff on the other side of the canal.
    the other side was pretty wet so we stayed off it for the most part. even the left side had some decent sized standing water under the bridges. it was really a do the bridge or get wet day.