Jason

3-7-10 Back Mountain Rail Trail

Took a quick ride up there today. I wanted to see how the bike was doing after a long winter of not riding and to test all the mods I've made. A bit muddy... here's some clickable pics.

Bottom of the trail from the Luzerne side.

Route 309 looking north.

Old water tower from the railroad days I'm guessing.

Momentum robbing mud and remnants of the old rail road ties.

Top of the trail near Carverton Rd.

Top of the trail taking a quick break. 2.5 miles up hill with plenty of mud killed me. I needed a breather.

On the way back down.

Back at the Knights of Columbus parking lot at the bottom of the trail.

Jason

wounded knee
    Did they fix the bridge yet?
    Last time I was there there looked to be trail offshutes into the woods, anyone ever try them?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Jason
    Yes, the bridge is up and running. I gotta say though, I thought the trail itself was pretty sedate. I know they extended it now so you can travel north of Carverton but their the Rails to Trails page isn't showing the extension on it's maps. I have no idea what the actual mileage of this trail is now. I may walk this trail now and then but I don't think I'll be returning with the bike.
    Jason

Gravity's Gone
    Nice pix. Today was a beautiful day for sure. Thanx for posting.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    Yes, the bridge is up and running. I gotta say though, I thought the trail itself was pretty sedate. I know they extended it now so you can travel north of Carverton but their the Rails to Trails page isn't showing the extension on it's maps. I have no idea what the actual mileage of this trail is now. I may walk this trail now and then but I don't think I'll be returning with the bike.
    It's not very long at all, glad to see they fixed the bridge at least, the highway next to it is very distracting, and those steps they put at the begining are anything but bike friendly, as you said it's more walk oriented than bike riding.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Did you ever have ham?

3-7-10 Back Mountain Rail Trail

Yeah, it is definitely aimed more at walkers than riders, but with many of the local trails being difficult to impossible to ride yet at least this is there to get in some kind of ride.

Dirtrider6, they put up a really nice bridge there. Plus, when the water is running down the rock cliffs by the bridge it makes for a really cool waterfall!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It's not a bad workout, if you're into that kind of thing, to ride it all the way up to Dallas.

Riding down the wooden staircase at Carverton is a bit bumpy, but I just can't seem to find the skills to ride back up it. If only they'd put the "rams" a bit further away from the bannister it'd be so much more bike friendly.

Jason
    Yeah, the steps suck! I started from the Luzerne end of the trail and rode a mostly mudy trail up hill for 2.5 miles. I got to the steps at Carverton and said to myself "WTF am I supposed to do here?" Steps aren't a problem for me but I'm riding fully rigid. It would have been an easy ride down them if they put the "bike ramp" about a foot closer to center. I could have glided right down those suckers with no problem. Seems like the person that designed them wasn't very bike oriented. Oh well. It was a fun ride. I'm looking for some place else to ride for today.
    Jason

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Very senic trail with Wildcat Falls being the highlight!

I use this trail as a challenge. I start at the Luzerne trail head and see how long it takes to get to the paved road, that ends up being 2 miles of up hill grade.It is one of the steeper grades we have in the area as far as a rail trail goes about 3 percent.

It would be great if they pull off their plan to have that rail trail open all the way to Mountain Springs lake above Noxen Pa. If you would like to follow more of this old rail line it was the Bowman's Creek branch of the Lehigh Valley railroad. It ran from Coxton Yards near Pittston to the state line at NY, and ran right under the now long gone roller coaster at Hanson's amusement park at Harvey's Lake. Futher up the line at Noxen Pa, it is a paved road, but if you follow it to the ghost town of Stull at the intersection of Sorber Mt Rd you can park there and ride 9 miles open to MTB's where it becomes a SGL dirt road to Mountain Springs lake below Lake Jean, Ricketts Glen SP. On the way another ghost town of Bean's Run is passed. This area was huge in the lumber and ice business and much of the land was owned by Albert Lewis, and Cornel Ricketts and the Kitchen familys. Also of interest is the ghost Town of Ricketts. These ghost towns have nothing, but old foundations left, no standing buildings, but if you look hard you can see the layout and find artifacts. Once over 5000 people lived there at Ricketts, with churches, dance halls, hotels and many business. Now just dust!

This area hosts the largest gamelands area in the state of Pa, and at the game lands near Mountain Springs there is a parking area of Rt 487, the beginning of a 28 mile designated MTB trail(dirt road) consisting of dirt roads down in the valley near Belsilva and the Mehoppany watershed.(read great trout fishing) After I get my trout fishing in...LOL,
    I will do a ride there in the spring and I will post it on MTBR if anyone is looking to joining me.
    Just some info. Hope it spawns exploration and more rides.

ride

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    It's not a bad workout, if you're into that kind of thing, to ride it all the way up to Dallas.

Riding down the wooden staircase at Carverton is a bit bumpy, but I just can't seem to find the skills to ride back up it. If only they'd put the "rams" a bit further away from the bannister it'd be so much more bike friendly.
    Last time I was there my knee was still kinda unstable, I couldn't even push the bike up the steps without catching the peddals on the boards sticking out from the railings, not very well thought out.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Yeah, it is definitely aimed more at walkers than riders, but with many of the local trails being difficult to impossible to ride yet at least this is there to get in some kind of ride.

Dirtrider6, they put up a really nice bridge there. Plus, when the water is running down the rock cliffs by the bridge it makes for a really cool waterfall!!!
    I tried this trail twice last year, several months apart, each time the bridge was still out and I couldn't even think about carrying my bike down the rocks and through the creek.

Any trail that is rideable right now is a plus
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Very senic trail with Wildcat Falls being the highlight!

I use this trail as a challenge. I start at the Luzerne trail head and see how long it takes to get to the paved road, that ends up being 2 miles of up hill grade.It is one of the steeper grades we have in the area as far as a rail trail goes about 3 percent.

It would be great if they pull off their plan to have that rail trail open all the way to Mountain Springs lake above Noxen Pa. If you would like to follow more of this old rail line it was the Bowman's Creek branch of the Lehigh Valley railroad. It ran from Coxton Yards near Pittston to the state line at NY, and ran right under the now long gone roller coaster at Hanson's amusement park at Harvey's Lake. Futher up the line at Noxen Pa, it is a paved road, but if you follow it to the ghost town of Stull at the intersection of Sorber Mt Rd you can park there and ride 9 miles open to MTB's where it becomes a SGL dirt road to Mountain Springs lake below Lake Jean, Ricketts Glen SP. On the way another ghost town of Bean's Run is passed. This area was huge in the lumber and ice business and much of the land was owned by Albert Lewis, and Cornel Ricketts and the Kitchen familys. Also of interest is the ghost Town of Ricketts. These ghost towns have nothing, but old foundations left, no standing buildings, but if you look hard you can see the layout and find artifacts. Once over 5000 people lived there at Ricketts, with churches, dance halls, hotels and many business. Now just dust!

This area hosts the largest gamelands area in the state of Pa, and at the game lands near Mountain Springs there is a parking area of Rt 487, the beginning of a 28 mile designated MTB trail(dirt road) consisting of dirt roads down in the valley near Belsilva and the Mehoppany watershed.(read great trout fishing) After I get my trout fishing in...LOL,
    I will do a ride there in the spring and I will post it on MTBR if anyone is looking to joining me.
    Just some info. Hope it spawns exploration and more rides.

ride
    Great history lesson there!

I look forward to that ride in the Spring.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    Yeah, the steps suck! I started from the Luzerne end of the trail and rode a mostly mudy trail up hill for 2.5 miles. I got to the steps at Carverton and said to myself "WTF am I supposed to do here?" Steps aren't a problem for me but I'm riding fully rigid. It would have been an easy ride down them if they put the "bike ramp" about a foot closer to center. I could have glided right down those suckers with no problem. Seems like the person that designed them wasn't very bike oriented. Oh well. It was a fun ride. I'm looking for some place else to ride for today.
    Riding down no prob, riding up is pretty much trials skill to hop up. Times I have done it I don't think walkers really apprecitae the moves, one guy took my pic and I wondered if it was a good thing, although he was smiling, but it's really not the place to be pulling s88t like that, so I just bail out and use the paved road weather going up or down. I think it's called Post rd? Anyway you actually have to ride a small part of the road and that last section of trail is like your not missing anything.

ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live in Dallas. A lot times I'll ride from my house down through Dallas to the trail, then get off in Luzerne, go through Edwardsville, the dike, up through Wyoming, then back through Forty Fort/Swoyersville and back up the rail trail home.

I love trails, but sometimes it's fun to put in some miles and take in the Valley scenery at a more leisurely pace.