mtbr member
    Aug 2004

24 Hr. Race for Jim Thorpe?!

I have seen in another thread a possible 24hr race in Jim Thorpe...can anyone post a link or leave some contact info

mtbr member
    Odd, I've heard nothing about this.....

Anyone....
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thorpe Trails
    Odd, I've heard nothing about this.....

Anyone....
    [SIZE="2"] I was there on Saturday riding the Switchback with few friends who had never been to JT. At the Mine crossing we were taking a break and along comes a guy and a girl with a map. I asked if they were lost or if they need to find a special trail? He responded: I am doing field work for the 24 hours race the end of June. I asked if it was MASS. He said no! I asked if it was the adventure series! He said no, It was a different race altogether. I asked if he was intending to run the race through there at the mine? He didn't know about that right then. I told him there is a trail behind the mountain he could use but it is very rocky! Nice thing is to run a race at night and use that area of the switchback where it is a sheer drop if you miss. I guess he will run them down and back up rather than walk the cliff.

Could this be the replacement for MTB weekend?
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Something doesn't sound right about all this. For example, if there's a race at the end of June, that would mean two possible weekends, June 23-43, or June 30/July 1.

It's mid June already, but there's no publicity about this (check the usual raging/event websites). I say something is definitely fishy here. Who ever heard of holding a race and not publicizing it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Maybe June 2008?

Could this be the replacement for MTB weekend?
    I thought the same thing. This could be pretty cool, but:

1. The local riders haven't heard about it. (or at least, one or two well-connected locals)

2. It's already mid-June and they're only now looking at the trails, as in "we don't know them but we have a map." That seems a little late for course design, even if they had local knowledge, which they apparently don't.

3. I just googled "24 Hours of" and "Jim Thorpe" and got a lot, but nothing about a race.

Those people you met may be sincerely trying to make this happen and I'll keep my lights charged just in case, but I can't see it happening this June.

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Something doesn't sound right about all this. For example, if there's a race at the end of June, that would mean two possible weekends, June 23-43, or June 30/July 1.

It's mid June already, but there's no publicity about this (check the usual raging/event websites). I say something is definitely fishy here. Who ever heard of holding a race and not publicizing it?
    [SIZE="2"]He told me the weekend of 6/30..7/1 and yes it is funny the locals wouldn't know about it. Maybe it's private! Dunno![/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

those are Rollercams...
    Semi-local here(weekends) and I haven't heard a word about this either.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    [SIZE="2"]He told me the weekend of 6/30..7/1 and yes it is funny the locals wouldn't know about it. Maybe it's private! Dunno![/SIZE]
    I'd like to believe something like this is in the works. But it still doesn't sound right.

Knowledgeable locals haven't heard about it. It's not publicized anywhere -- almost as if it's a secret, which is not necessarily the same as private. And, most of the switchback trail where you meet the guy with the map is on Carbon County park lands, which I believe have time-of-day usage restrictions on them (based on the Mauch Chunk Lake Park rules, no disturbances between 10:00 pm - 8:30 am). To get around that, they'd need some kind of permit or waiver, surely some locals would have heard about it that way.

And as you pointed out, to have the course run past that mine obstacle, with the drop off on approaches from both directions, at night, is a bad idea on someone's part.

On a positive note, it makes for a good rumor, something interesting to argue and talk about on here!

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    I'd like to believe something like this is in the works. But it still doesn't sound right.

Knowledgeable locals haven't heard about it. It's not publicized anywhere -- almost as if it's a secret, which is not necessarily the same as private. And, most of the switchback trail where you meet the guy with the map is on Carbon County park lands, which I believe have time-of-day usage restrictions on them (based on the Mauch Chunk Lake Park rules, no disturbances between 10:00 pm - 8:30 am). To get around that, they'd need some kind of permit or waiver, surely some locals would have heard about it that way.

And as you pointed out, to have the course run past that mine obstacle, with the drop off on approaches from both directions, at night, is a bad idea on someone's part.

On a positive note, it makes for a good rumor, something interesting to argue and talk about on here!
    [SIZE="2"]I wish I had more! Kev from Plains Bike was with me... Kev have anything to add? I can assure you I don't want to spread rumors like this..........[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Quote Originally Posted by bozizle
    I have seen in another thread a possible 24hr race in Jim Thorpe...can anyone post a link or leave some contact info
    [SIZE="2"]Where did you see it posted in another thread? Got a link?[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Finally remembered my password!!

I was with Lee on Saturday and I will confirm the conversation...and I agree...trying to run over the top of the mine on that ledge is not too good an idea, lites or no lites. I've walked over that section in the daytime and it's scary enough thank you.

The gentleman was a little vauge on details other than the dates posted here that Lee stated, so...I guess we're all gonna have to wait and see..but then again I agree with all the locals, time is running short!!

mtbr member

What Happened?

Don't mean to highjack the tread, but there seems to be this underlying hostility to riding in JT; with the local game land manager shutting down all the good trails, mountain bike weekend cancelled, no races up there, etc. A 24hr race up there seems like a pipe dream; where would they run it, since most of the good trail loops are closed.

When I moved to Philly in 99, JT was billed as a mini Durango and the riding was spectacular. You could grab a few beers and some decent food post ride; if the weather was warm, jump in the lake. It was MTB nirvana.

How did it go from that, to virtually not really worth going for someone who wants to ride more than Flagstaff and the switchback? I can't believe the local economy is that good that they would not want hordes of post ride beer loving mountain bikers with plenty of disposable income deccending on their town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The number of riders utilizing the are trails has gone down since the game lands were limited to riding, but I don't agree it's as bad as you describe.

There are many more than the two trails you mentioned to ride. And still can grab beers and food post ride, and jump in the lake, too. There are more choices for the beers and food, but new choices tending to be touristy, as opposed to Molly Maguires pub, which is so far not that way.

As for the MTB weekend drying up, the way I understand it, the local businesses had no incentive to get behind it, because they never benefited from it. Little if any money came their way, it was all held in the park, all the camping, food, etc. On his website, the organizer of the event says it was an economic boon, and the locals didn't get behind it. From two business owners I talked to several years ago, they disagreed. I believe that represents the general feeling of the small business community there. And I think if what the organize says is true, you'd see different behavior.

mtbr member
    If I may, and I will try not to speculate and some of my facts might be scewered a little, but from what Lee has told me, and this may be the underlying cause..is the demise of the Mt Bike weekend they had there a few years ago, a very successfull program that ran very well for many years. From what I gather, the gentleman in charge of this program basically wanted to give it up as he felt it was time for someone else to take it over and propel it to the next level.

Well...we all know how that goes...nobody picked it up. That, plus the neverending roundy round with the rules for the state game lands surrounding the area basically killed the whole program. For a while people were talking about Tamaqua taking over but I haven't heard anything about that area at all.

I feel bad for the local riders who over the years built what I can only say a stellar place to ride..only to see it fall apart like it has. I've ridden there about 100 times..mainly switchback and Broad Mt..and it's a great ride! I think too many of the hardcore riders are being replaced with the "Weekend Warriors" who only ride the Lehigh gorge Trail..which in itself is not bad..the way I think the more people riding bikes..anywhere and on anything..is better than feeding the Arabs our money.

I'm sure there is more to the story..and if I said something that is not correct..please don't beat me too hard!!

Go Ridin'
    Kevin at Plains Bike

mtbr member
    XCoalMiner, You got me to my next question: are there more trails? Most of the trails in the older guide books now have questionable access. If you local guys have some sweet riding up there, please give up the info. I would love to get on some other trails up there.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    Don't mean to highjack the tread, but there seems to be this underlying hostility to riding in JT; with the local game land manager shutting down all the good trails, mountain bike weekend cancelled, no races up there, etc. A 24hr race up there seems like a pipe dream; where would they run it, since most of the good trail loops are closed.

When I moved to Philly in 99, JT was billed as a mini Durango and the riding was spectacular. You could grab a few beers and some decent food post ride; if the weather was warm, jump in the lake. It was MTB nirvana.

How did it go from that, to virtually not really worth going for someone who wants to ride more than Flagstaff and the switchback? I can't believe the local economy is that good that they would not want hordes of post ride beer loving mountain bikers with plenty of disposable income deccending on their town.
    J[SIZE="2"]ust let me say Everything changes!

For years and years JT has been the mecca, now other places have built up MTB areas of their own. We formed NEPMTBA in November and we have had huge success, not on our own, but from everyone helping spread the word! We take neebees to JT! They have always heard of the famous JT!

JT is still there, now a new crew of riders are finding their way around. I know the locals still keep it going and thats what will bring JT back bigger than ever. We will never give up on JT, even if all we have is the SwitchBack and Gorge Trail!

There is just something about riding there..it feels way different than anywhere else! It feels like home in a different way!

The Giant might just be resting.........

Everyone still rememberd JT as thew place to go [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member

The facts, more or less

Was the riding in JT great? Yes.
    Was it ever all legal? No
    Is it still great? Yes
    Is it mostly legal? No

Basically MTB riding emerged in JT at a time when no one really cared where you rode. Then it got popular and more out-of-towners came. Then the SGL issue came up and no out-of-towners supported the trails, because they came, rode and left. But the hunters showed up in force. So now SGL trails are closed, but guess what? Only out-of-towners care. Do we want to change this? Sure, but this is Pennsyltucky and things move sloooooowly.

MBW, basically the short version is that the Park wanted to move the event to a time of year when they need the business more and they got a little greedy. Dave got tired of it and said F-this, 20 years was enough. The park tried to do their own thing, and it failed. Now, who knows.....

On the positive side the Park has done an amazing job this year of trail maintenance and signage on the trails that they are responsible for.

Is the town missing a HUGE opportunity by not promoting mountainbiking? Maybe, but the rails-to-trails'ers, raft trippers, antique'ers, and Harley riders are a lot more numerous and less thrifty then a lot of hardcore MTB'ers. And traffic is pretty crazy already. Unlike a lot of towns that have used MTB trails to get tourists to come, JT has other draws. For every rider looking for sweet technical singletrack, which we do have, their are 100 who are happy to spin up the Gorge, and pay for the privilege.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/