wounded knee

2012 GIANT’S DESPAIR HILLCLIMB – July 14-15, 2012

This Saturday and Sunday is the Giants Despair Hillclimb

What does it have to do with Mountain Biking?
    I will have my fat bike there spreading the fatbike love.

This is a very cool event plus the fact that there is no entrance fee to watch, thats right it's free!

The Giants Despair Hillclimb is a hillclimb established in 1906 just outside Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in Laurel Run, Pennsylvania, United States.[1] The contest was first run in conjunction with Wilkes-Barre's centennial celebration.[2] It is the oldest continuing motorsport event in Pennsylvania.[2] Race drivers from across the nation gather annually on East Northampton Street, the name of the road that winds its way through a 1 mile (1.6 km) section of Pennsylvania's steep mountains. Rising 650 feet (200 m), the course reaches grades up to 20% and has six turns—including the 110 "Devil's Elbow"— in the race to the top.[1][2] The original race was won in 2 minutes 11.2 seconds.[2]

2012 GIANT’S DESPAIR HILLCLIMB – July 14-15, 2012
    PHA-SCCA
    SANCTIONED BY THE NORTHEASTERN PA REGION SCCA
    AN SCCA NEDIV TIME TRIALS CHAMPIONSHIP/MATTS SERIES SPECTATOR EVENT
    SCHEDULE OF EVENTSFriday, July 13 5:00-8:00 PM Registration and Tech Inspection in the pit area.
    Saturday, July 14 7:30 AM - 12:00PM Registration and Tech Inspection in the pit area.
    8:00 A.M. Novice Instruction (MANDATORY)
    8:30 AM Driver’s Meeting (MANDATORY FOR ALL DRIVERS)
    9:00-10:00 AM Touring Runs
    10:00 AM – 4:30 PM Timed Runs – As many as conditions and time
    allows with a lunch break approximately at noon
    Run Groups:
    Group 1: Showroom Stock, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Improved Touring, American Sedan, Spec Miata, Rally, Vintage, Historic, and 2 driver cars from Group 2
    Group 2: Production, Sports Racer, Spec Racer, Specials, Solo V, All Formula, GT, INEX and 2 driver cars from Group 1
    The Run Groups will be the same on Sunday.
    6:30 PM Party at Laurel Run Park.
    Sunday, July 15 8:00 AM Driver’s Meeting (MANDATORY FOR ALL DRIVERS)
    9:00 AM-5:00 pm Timed Runs – As many as conditions and time
    allows with a lunch break approximately at noon
    (Tech inspection prior to the driver’s meeting and
    by appointment only)
    Event plate presentation at the Start Line 30 minutes after the final run.
    2012 Mid Atlantic Time Trials Series
    SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS
    Giants Despair– Level 4 Time Trial, East Northampton St. Laurel Run, PA July 14 & 15, 2012
    Sanction #12-HC-2287-S
    Organized by NEPA SCCA.
    Send Entries to: 228 980 Road McDonald, PA 15057
    Chief Steward –Matt Rowe Chief Registrar – Mike Ancas
    This event is scheduled as a two day event, all cars will compete both days. A driver unable to compete on either day forfeits all timed runs offered for that day. A driver showing up for registration and tech inspection after timed runs have started forfeits any missed runs. This event is run under the SCCA Time Trials Rules (TTR).
    APPLICATION: Application blanks must be filled in completely and returned to the respondent indicated on the entry blank. Payment in the form of check or money order or cash (if paid in person) must accompany the completed application form. Entries will be accepted on a first come first served basis. Refunds for cancellations will be at the discretion of the Event Organizer. Each driver must submit
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    DR6 great info:

When your not watching the cars, you can ride to 7 Tubs from there or up to Mt Top trails. Having been there many times...
    ...I can add, "Girls in bikinis also"

Giants Despair Hillclimb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Giant’s Despair | Pennsyvlania Hillclimb Association

There are bicycle & running versions of this also, happening,

Giants Despair Hill Climb 8/23 | NEPA Cycling Event Promotions

wounded knee
    I'm going up on Sunday, AJ said he might take his Italian Ice truck up also.
    Allways a good time.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    The Pugs at the Hill Climb.

I must have had at least 50 people ask me about the bike, and double that on comments as I went by, I heard kids screaming LOOK AT THOSE TIERES!!
    It was an incredible responce to the bike, there wasn't one time that I stopped to take pictures that people weren't gathering around the bike asking about it.

There were even people taking pictures of it!
    No way you you get that kind of responce from a normal Mountain Bike, spreading the Fat Bike love!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock